How do you handle the diary discrepancies?

Options
mkculs
mkculs Posts: 316 Member
My diary would look really off to anyone else, b/c the exercise estimates are simply too high, and I mentally subtract cals burned. Yesterday, I "logged wrong," so one exercise entry was a lot closer to the cals I would eat back--I did some walking, but the estimate MFP gave me was about 200 cals higher than most other calculators, so I entered fewer minutes to get a more accurate number of exercise cals to eat back. Then I went canoeing, and again it was a ridiculous number, but I logged it, knowing I would only eat back about 1/3.

What is your strategy--logging "wrong," so the number of exercise cals is closer to what you think you should eat, or logging correctly, mentally cutting out those exercise cals you won't eat back--and ending up with a "net" eaten of meaningless numbers?

I'm pretty confused and wonder how other people handle this. I am logging food with a food scale, so that side of it seems pretty accurate--but how can I really know? I'm just thinking ahead about when I might need a more accurate exercise log -- what can I do to make that match my reality so I have good data when I need it?

FWIW, whatever I'm doing, it is working right now--I'm losing about 1-1.25 lbs/week, aiming for 500 cal/day deficit, and am rarely more than comfortably hungry. Energy levels feel good, too.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I rarely if ever used anything from the database...I manually entered my exercise and calories burned from various formulas or other calculations or my HRM depending on the activity.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    This probably isn't helpful but I never track exercise calories and never "ate back" any exercise calories. If I am working out a ton more and starting to get weird hunger signals from my body (that i didn't before) I will play with my daily calories more, allowing some extra calories (maybe starting with a few days a week, or tweak it while tracking my weight to ensure things are still "ok").

I do track exercise, i use my fitbit to ensure I maintain steps and have a flexible schedule for running/other workouts.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I think either entering the exercise to get a more accurate calorie burn or only eating back part of the calories burned are good. Awesome weight loss!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I log what I burned based on my real life data. I eat them all sometime during the week. Since I follow a weekly average, it would not be helpful to me to have inaccurate data.

Your diary is yours to do with as you please. Like Alice said, as long as you're consistent and are getting results, it really doesn't matter.
  • mkculs
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter which method you try -- logging "wrong" or only eating back a portion of your exercise calories -- as long as you're consistent with it. You're really only playing with estimates anyway, so you'll have to rely on your observed results to tell you whether your method works. I took a peek at your profile and saw that you're a teacher. Treat this like a science experiment.

My personal preference would be to log "accurately" and only eat back a set percentage of calories, because if you're purposefully doing things "wrong" it's more difficult later to make adjustments. If you're always eating back 50% of your calories and you start losing too quickly, it's easy to see the inaccuracy and start eating back 75%, for example. If you're purposefully entering wrong information, that adjustment might not be as obvious.

Thanks to everyone, and I am trying to treat it like a science experiment, so that's why I was a bit confused, I think--I know the data isn't accurate. But making a commitment to eat back a consistent % of the exercise cals sound like an approach that will work for me--I'm really haphazard about it right now.

Thanks again!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I make an attempt to log accurate (as close as possible) numbers for what I consume and what I burn. The purpose of logging is to manage the calories in/out balance. Logging an inaccurate calorie burn is no different than choosing an incorrect database entry for food (eg some random 112 calorie entry for “tuna sandwich”). When I logged exercise individually, I entered the calorie burn number that seemed reasonable (based on whatever monitors I was using).

I’d prefer to have whatever is in my diary be as close to accurate as possible rather than doing math beyond that to guess which calories I can and can’t eat.

But it’s your diary, and your preferences so obviously you’re free to do whatever works for you.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I used a TDEE calculator and set my own daily target based off that and disregard exercise calories altogether. This works well for me. I know what my target is every single day. I also don't sweat the odd day over calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    mkculs wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter which method you try -- logging "wrong" or only eating back a portion of your exercise calories -- as long as you're consistent with it. You're really only playing with estimates anyway, so you'll have to rely on your observed results to tell you whether your method works. I took a peek at your profile and saw that you're a teacher. Treat this like a science experiment.

My personal preference would be to log "accurately" and only eat back a set percentage of calories, because if you're purposefully doing things "wrong" it's more difficult later to make adjustments. If you're always eating back 50% of your calories and you start losing too quickly, it's easy to see the inaccuracy and start eating back 75%, for example. If you're purposefully entering wrong information, that adjustment might not be as obvious.

Thanks to everyone, and I am trying to treat it like a science experiment, so that's why I was a bit confused, I think--I know the data isn't accurate. But making a commitment to eat back a consistent % of the exercise cals sound like an approach that will work for me--I'm really haphazard about it right now.

Thanks again!

Several of us are data nerds who track, chart, log and know every measurable detail about our health. I'm not. I just have an Excel spreadsheet. Last year I used my spreadsheet to record my daily weight, along with my daily calories consumed, daily exercise calories burned, and cumulative calorie deficit. I also used the cumulative calorie deficit to predict my daily weight. While daily weight fluctuates for often mysterious reasons, over time the trend of your weight will reflect your long term surplus or deficit of calories. My spreadsheet showed that after about 30 days of tracking, the actual daily weight and the predicted daily weight became very similar, often less than 3% different. This also served as a check on my exercise logging. I was logging many different kinds of activities as exercise, and eating back most of my exercise calories. My actual and predicted weight were similar, so this gave me confidence that both my calories eaten were logged correctly, and my calories burned were correct also.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I log less time than I've done. Although I don't make an effort to eat back the calories. I'm normally less hungry after my session rather than more (mostly because I train over mealtimes and I'm too distracted to be hungry)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,554 Member
    Options
    Years of tracking and logging exercises. I have a pretty good idea how much calories my interval bodyweight exercises need, and I always use the same database entry for that; one of the walking entries and then make a note for it :p This way I get the right exercise length and a good approximation of the calories.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit adjustments have served me well, but if I was using estimates I knew were over, I would just leave those extra calories uneaten in my log. That's the way I've usually seen it done in other's logs as well. They'll have like a 500 calorie exercise adjustment, and leave 200 calories on the table. Honestly though, it's whatever makes the most sense to you!
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Trial and error! I will usually UNDERestimate exercise calories and OVERestimate food calories and that will usually account for some margin of error. Over years of maintaining I’ve learned what my exercise burns realistically are by how exerted I feel and if my weight starts going up or down accordingly.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat back half of the calories i burn through the exercises and so far it seems to work just fine, both now that im gaining and when i was cutting
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I log as accurately as I can using mfp database as I find an accurate record of my exercise useful - I aim to eat back around 50% of calories given. If I don't feel hungry some days I eat much less than 50% but I really do like to keep fully fuelled.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,554 Member
    Options
    Why the *kitten* did I deserve a woo???
  • mkculs
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Why the *kitten* did I deserve a woo???

You didn't; maybe someone just missed the Like button. That's what I'd be telling myself, anyway :)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    mkculs wrote: »
    My diary would look really off to anyone else, b/c the exercise estimates are simply too high, and I mentally subtract cals burned. Yesterday, I "logged wrong," so one exercise entry was a lot closer to the cals I would eat back--I did some walking, but the estimate MFP gave me was about 200 cals higher than most other calculators, so I entered fewer minutes to get a more accurate number of exercise cals to eat back. Then I went canoeing, and again it was a ridiculous number, but I logged it, knowing I would only eat back about 1/3.

What is your strategy--logging "wrong," so the number of exercise cals is closer to what you think you should eat, or logging correctly, mentally cutting out those exercise cals you won't eat back--and ending up with a "net" eaten of meaningless numbers?

I'm pretty confused and wonder how other people handle this. I am logging food with a food scale, so that side of it seems pretty accurate--but how can I really know? I'm just thinking ahead about when I might need a more accurate exercise log -- what can I do to make that match my reality so I have good data when I need it?

FWIW, whatever I'm doing, it is working right now--I'm losing about 1-1.25 lbs/week, aiming for 500 cal/day deficit, and am rarely more than comfortably hungry. Energy levels feel good, too.

I log all of my exercise but right now, I don't eat any of it back. During bulk - I eat back 1/3. But I still log properly just for an idea of how much time I spent at the gym. Otherwise I would be there for five hours, literally LOL
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method now but when I logged exercise just adjusted the calories burnt to what I considered more reasonable and was planning on eating back (large green numbers make me want to eat more, lol). You can up the activity and duration to what you did and just manually change the calories burnt.