WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2018

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    CJ I do the same thing (look at a menu ahead of time) when I can. It helps with ordering and staying on track. I have gone out to eat 5 times this week and still stayed on track and lost three pounds. I have not had too much problem finding something high fiber, no refined grains. At one restaurant where I love their chicken salad. I just didn't have it as a sandwich.

Ginger great idea to track your blood sugar. It shows proof what foods can do to our blood sugar. Your right when the blood sugar spike high that is when the weight gets added on and does other things to our bodies that are not for the best.
    Prayers for your upcoming tests.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Welcome Susan and Teresa

Teresa so sorry for your loss. You sound like you have decided to regain your health. Good for you.

Michele I up room darkening drapes and it does make a difference. One window did need two panels and the other one. Because I did it myself it was much more reasonable.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Home from feeding my FIL he did well ate everything and on his own which was great..I thought I would leave Alfie out of the crate for the hour I was gone.that was a mistake he tore up the sheet on my bed..so crated he will be when I am.not in the house...feeling very tired.so will take a nap then work on paper work and laundry.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    It's a sunny Sunday here in SW WA State

Finished watching Episode 1 of The Skinny on Fat last night. Now I understand much better about how ketones work and why its so beneficial to the liver and brain. When I was young, I was on Atkins for a short while - so hard to do and I recall measuring ketones in the blood with urine sticks. :/

I like the different methods of using fasting, low carbing, coconut/MCT oil, and the ketone products now on the market.

Heading over to the neighbor's to pick blueberries in a bit.

Beautiful day out there!! <3

Lanette B)

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((CJ))) Hugs, puppy dogs, kittens and rainbows, and ponies. I hope all goes well at the hospital. :flowerforyou:

Kate, UK: I am in full agreement with the notion of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Heather: I hop you get to have your move ASAP. After all this waiting, another 60 days is not that long. Sending good thoughts your way. :flowerforyou:

CJ: Sending good wishes to your DGD and the whole family. (((HUGS))) puppy dogs, kittens, rainbows and ponies for your DGD.
    Regarding weight loss, the pounds that I've lost are due to moving more and counting calories here on MFP. Horseback riding burns LOADS of calories. So does grooming, saddling, etc. :bigsmile:

Kate: I agree with the notion that," if it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!"

Lisa: I'm so excited for you and Corey. Fixing up and changing things here and there will help make the house truly yours. Yay!!! :bigsmile:

Machka: It is wonderful to see the photos of your area. It is a beautiful place. It is also great to see that your DH is moving more and doing more. :heart: :bigsmile:

DH worked on the RV until he couldn't lift his hands over his head yesterday so we came in the house & rested. Today we have one curtain to hang in the RV, and we will be done with fixing up for a while. YAY!!! I've mentioned that I'm eager to get it out of the parking lot and into the storage unit. I hope that today will be the day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    Machka - Good to see your DH. All that exercise will do his brain so much good. <3

Had a nap this pm. Now I MUST sort out a box!

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lanette, I copied the link for episode 3, but it shows the episode as expired. The bonus interview was still available.
    https://www.therealskinnyonfat.com/episodes/3-expired.html. It will automatically redirect, but using the back function will give you access to at least the bonus interview.

Margaret, fiber has not specifically been addressed. The over all theme is that sugar and processed foods have led to the increase in obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

Episode 5 covers the different aspects of fasting.
    https://www.therealskinnyonfat.com/episodes/fv-5-ep.html

Cathy, Arlington, TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    ////
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,490 Member
    Options
    Heather, remind me to be elsewhere when that bulging tin of fish explodes :bomb:
    allie :love: the memory shirt!
    Carol sad your husband chooses not to manage his tirades. How ironic he once taught defensive driving. You are wise to protect yourself from that energy, even if it means canceling trips. :brokenheart:
    Barbie A Little Oh Na Na to Cake by the Ocean, thanks!
    CJ when I use AF I mean alcohol-free. I've seen others use it for Air Force.
    Katla the appliance repair guy who serviced the old Maytags that came with our house said the new Maytags are "disposable" just like all the other brands now ... except Speed Queen. So sad to see the downfall of Maytag, our 30 yr old set still worked beautifully when we had to leave them behind in Idaho. OUr next will be Speed Queens, really hate the idea of disposable-not-repairable appliances.

Welcome Susan LovemyCards. Please let us know your general location to help us keep you straight from our other Sues, Susans, Susies, Susis etc... ;)
    Welcome Teresa from FL, ((hugs)) for your heartbreak.

Only through pg 60, past time to shower and leave for church.
    Later, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 17/21, meditate 12/21, walk one more step 11/20, knee exercises 12/21, walk Tumble 10/12 times, SWSY 0/6, hang up or purge art 0/1
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Hey all ladies in Canada, so any of you watch " The Artful Detective, Murdock Mysteries "? We just love it! Its so interesting!!

I watched it occasionally in Canada, but all the time here in Australia now.

They run it on Thursday nights here in Australia.

7:30 - Father Brown
    8:30 - Murdock Mysteries ... and they usually run three episodes in a row.

Nice way to end a Thursday. :)

Machka in Oz

Our one problem seems to be that they run the series out of order, so we are always asking each other, are they married now, or not? Love the music, and the cut scenes of him trying to piece it all together. I love mysteries that don't insult my intelligence. The ones where you know who did it from the get go, and the rest of the show you watch the detectives try to get their act in order, hate those!

Another series we watched was "Back In Time For Dinner". They picked a Toronto family and started in the 1920's, redoing their kitchen, living room and dining room. They had to dress the part, cook, using what they used back then. The series has them living in that era for just a week. It was interesting on what they adapted to, and what things kicked their butts!

We tape the Murdock Mysteries nightly. I think we tape it on a couple of channels. That's why our viewing thru the series is out of sequence. But really, the episodes can stand on their own. Besides Constable Crabtree's dismal luck with girlfriends, and the Chief of Police guy with a drink in his hand always, each episode is different👍.
    Rebecca 💗
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Regarding driving ...

I got my learners at 15 and full licence at 17 ... and I drove a lot for quite a few years, but then my driving became less and less, until, in 1999, I became "car-free".

I was "car-free" for the next 6 years, and that was great!! So nice not to have a motor vehicle to worry about.

But then my life circumstances changed, and all of a sudden I was driving up to 1000 km/week!! And I did a lot of driving for a few years.

Then in 2010, we moved into the town where I worked, and I stopped driving again.

Since 2010, I might have driven 10 times ... I don't know. Possibly once, or occasionally twice, a year. And before last weekend, I had not driven in well over a year.

Because of this accident, my husband can't drive and that was OK while he was in hospital, and even when he first returned home, but there are situations coming up where, unfortunately, driving may be required. And unfortunately taxis are expensive. So I've started driving again. I've driven 3 times ... once last weekend and twice this weekend.

I might need to go out one evening this coming week to get a little night driving practice in. Blech.

Machka in Oz

I am with you in the driving thing. I didn't get my license until I was 50. And that was because I had to with husband not able. Before, if I needed to get anywhere I just walked. Son needs to get to orthodontist appointment, I would pack the stroller and go. My world was 5 miles all around my house, which was fine.
    Since moving I have yet to drive here. I will probably never be the person that drives for fun or relaxation. Its just a task.
    Rebecca
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Rebecca a patient at work brought in a painted rock and asked what I thought about it. I mentioned I knew some folks on the internet who liked to find these and she gave it to me. So here is a picture for you.
    3eiv3c0ad0t9.jpeg
    I’m supposed to hide this, yes? I was thinking of bringing it to Chicago and put it out in the wild there.

Rye in TX

Nice! Yep, you hide it in places you travel. Each city has a Facebook Rock group, so they can share pictures of found rocks. For the one that painted that rock, its nice to see it. Look up Chicago Rocks and see what popular spots are. You can always keep it too. There's no rule saying you need to rehide what you found.👍
    Rebecca
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Rebecca Hmm I don’t faceboook. But I’d like the painter to see someone found it. I wonder if one of my nieces still does the Facebook thing.

Do you just post a picture like the one I put here for the painter to see? I know the patient found it in Fort Worth but not where in town.

Rye
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Hey all ladies in Canada, so any of you watch " The Artful Detective, Murdock Mysteries "? We just love it! Its so interesting!!

So my roast could be cut with a fork! My carrots didn't shrivel away, and my golden potatoes plump and creamy! Success! I even invited my eldest son's old roommate/freeloader to have dinner. They were out in the garage, when both of us ate, so we didn't chat. He had come over to get a scooter part or some thing. He's a nice kid, just when I think of all the money my son has spent during their time as roommates, it just sickens me.
    I am still really weak, and my tingling has me on edge. In Monday, I will call my doctor and see if all this is normal. Time is what I need.
    Rebecca

My daughter and I used to watch Murdock Mysteries it's a great show! Do you get CBC where you are or are they showing it on American tv?

Tracey in Edmonton