Fast food lovers

Options
124»

Replies

• superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessarily settling for one or the other. Sometimes I am in the mood for a particular taste that comes from a specific meal at a fast food joint. For example, I can make a taco at home with 90/10 ground beef and fresh, organic ingredients, but maybe I want a volcano taco instead.

This. I grew up eating a lot of fast food and I think that's mostly why I like it now. Luckily for me, the nearest fast food other than Hardee's (ick) and a Dairy Queen that is not a brazier, is an hour away. I am totally craving a big mac today even though the rare times I go to McDonalds I don't even get big macs. I will not get it though, since it is an hour away.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Oftentimes for me it's convenience. Time, cost, and ease. I do tend to gravitate more towards the healthier options at most places, but a fast food burger will sometimes be all that's needed.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give to anyone to change their eating habits within an hour, is watch documentaries like Food Inc. or ones that show how your food is made and where it comes from. Made me an instant mainly vegetarian and organic eater.

I've seen all the documentaries and still enjoy fast food fairly often. I'm too hardcore to be freaked out by a few videos, much to the dismay of those who show me said videos. I used to be friends with someone very into animal rights and peta and she made me watch all these videos, thinking it'd scare me vegetarian. Seven years later and we aren't friends anymore and I still eat meat at every meal.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Cheap, tasty and I don't have to go through the rigamarole of being waited on at a sit down place. I can grab my bag full of tasty, calorie-laden goodness, take it home and sit in front of the TV yelling at Shark Week on the Discovery Channel while stuffing my mouth full of McYumness. 'MURICA
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    The best advice I can give to anyone to change their eating habits within an hour, is watch documentaries like Food Inc. or ones that show how your food is made and where it comes from. Made me an instant mainly vegetarian and organic eater.

I've seen all the documentaries and still enjoy fast food fairly often. I'm too hardcore to be freaked out by a few videos, much to the dismay of those who show me said videos. I used to be friends with someone very into animal rights and peta and she made me watch all these videos, thinking it'd scare me vegetarian. Seven years later and we aren't friends anymore and I still eat meat at every meal.

HA!

I've seen PETA scare videos, Fat Sick And Nearly Dead, Food Inc., and Hungry For Change. Zero things appealed to my giving up anything I enjoy. Scaremongering annoys me.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'll admit I'm a huge food snob, and I kind of hate that when my office goes out for burgers on Fridays it's usually at a fast food place instead of any of the gourmet burger joints nearby. However, there are some things I will always, always want from fast food:

Taco Bell's Enchirito
    Arby's curly fries
    Whataburger's Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit
    Whataburger's taquitos
    Wendy's Frosty
    Jack in the Box's Mint Oreo milkshake
    Jack in the Box's eggrolls with the sweet and sour sauce
    Sonic's cheese sticks
    Taco Cabana's tortillas and queso

I either think these things are genuinely better than their homemade/other restaurant equivalents, or I'll get a craving for them that can't quite be satisfied by anything else. Some of it may be nostalgia from childhood/college, but some of it is that Arby's has frikkin rocking curly fries and dipping them in Arby's sauce makes me extremely happy.

...Other thing I like about fast food: a gourmet burger at a non-chain, specialty burger restaurant will run me about 900 calories, and I will eat the whole damn thing. A Whataburger Jr with no cheese will be 230. Does it taste as good? No. Can I easily fit it in my calories? Obviously yes.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Cheap, tasty and I don't have to go through the rigamarole of being waited on at a sit down place. I can grab my bag full of tasty, calorie-laden goodness, take it home and sit in front of the TV yelling at Shark Week on the Discovery Channel while stuffing my mouth full of McYumness. 'MURICA

^^^What she said:)
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Ok, to all you people that made inane comments about how I'm judgmental, shaming, and a food snob, all while proceeding to be judgmental of me, trying to shame me, and reading into my benign honest question what you thought I was saying without ever having met me or knowing absolutely anything about me....whatever. It's called projection. Take your own issues and deal with them yourselves. Not my issues or my problem.

To the people that gave me legitimate responses, thank you. Sounds like for some it's conveinence and for some it's honestly taste. I gave up fast food when I realized certain things about it I didn't like, but I guess it partially is cause I don't crave it that makes it easier. To the person that brought up Taco Bell, you got me on that one. That is probably the one fast food joint I've thought of and kind of missed. And I also realize I will sometimes eat from food trucks, and that is kind of fast food. And I do like that.

I think part of it for me is an aversion to childhood memories. My mother hated cooking and I was left with tv dinners or fast food. A home cooked meal for her was microwaving frozen vegetables, which was as elaborate as it got. I guess having learned how to cook, part of it is enjoying that aspect and the other maybe my mother giving us the fast food. Interesting also cause she used to buy a ton of sweets in the house, ding dongs, twinkies, etc., and I lost my sweet tooth too. I don't even like chocolate, and people think I'm weird cause of that. So, that really could be part of it.

Anyways, thanks again to the legitimate non-fueled with fire posts.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    A burger from Five Guys and a small order of fries puts me in heaven for the day. Easily.
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ok, to all you people that made inane comments about how I'm judgmental, shaming, and a food snob, all while proceeding to be judgmental of me, trying to shame me, and reading into my benign honest question what you thought I was saying without ever having met me or knowing absolutely anything about me....whatever. It's called projection. Take your own issues and deal with them yourselves. Not my issues or my problem.

To the people that gave me legitimate responses, thank you. Sounds like for some it's conveinence and for some it's honestly taste. I gave up fast food when I realized certain things about it I didn't like, but I guess it partially is cause I don't crave it that makes it easier. To the person that brought up Taco Bell, you got me on that one. That is probably the one fast food joint I've thought of and kind of missed. And I also realize I will sometimes eat from food trucks, and that is kind of fast food. And I do like that.

I think part of it for me is an aversion to childhood memories. My mother hated cooking and I was left with tv dinners or fast food. A home cooked meal for her was microwaving frozen vegetables, which was as elaborate as it got. I guess having learned how to cook, part of it is enjoying that aspect and the other maybe my mother giving us the fast food. Interesting also cause she used to buy a ton of sweets in the house, ding dongs, twinkies, etc., and I lost my sweet tooth too. I don't even like chocolate, and people think I'm weird cause of that. So, that really could be part of it.

Anyways, thanks again to the legitimate non-fueled with fire posts.
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That is the key! Way to go on this post. You are a sweetheart.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options

watching now with a sack from bk :laugh:

nom nom nom