Yoga vs Boxing

Options
124»

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I don't find yoga as stress-relieving as adrenaline-pumping exercises like lifting weights or running. I have the attention span of a kitten, and yoga requires more focus than I have.

^This

I don't have ADD, until I try to do yoga...
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I WISH boxing was an option at my YMCA!!! Yoga and I do not mix, I am way to clutzy. I have tried...and failed, sadly.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Strong-Sexy-Woman-Working-Out-With-Punching-Bag-.gif
    a-hem.....:noway: I think I just switched teams

No. Doubt. Was thinking the same thing.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I WISH boxing was an option at my YMCA!!! Yoga and I do not mix, I am way to clutzy. I have tried...and failed, sadly.
    Boxing gyms (at least in my area) are pretty expensive but the benefits of having that trainer pushing you are amazing!
    I bought a heavy bag / speed bag combo-kit for home and am so glad I did!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Strong-Sexy-Woman-Working-Out-With-Punching-Bag-.gif

That's hot!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    oh, hai ladies

bag_sit_ups_zps9746fc43.gif
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    oh, hai ladies

bag_sit_ups_zps9746fc43.gif
    Ok, team - I'm back! LOL :love: :love: :love:
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I actually like both! Yoga is a great compliment to stregth training and other strenuous workouts (like boxing). Stretching and balance is very important in all aspects of working out!
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    Heavy bag for sure. Our gym just got one and I have to say I have not needed as much wine :) LOL I get a little ansty if I do not get my HB work out.

I try and do yoga, and I KNOW my body needs to be more flexable, but I am not a sit still and focus person so it kinda kills me to do yoga, but I really try and balance it all.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I train kick boxing three times a week. I had problems with side kicks, my adductors were pulling me back to the point where it really hurt sometimes. I dug out yoga from long forgotten P90X and wheee! It's amazing what yoga does to opening up the joints. Boring? Well, if you really have time to be bored when you're balancing on one leg having the other and both arms up in the air...
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I love both!

I do heated vinyassa yoga (and I've done Bikram). Both are a mental challenge as well as physically demanding. I feel just as strong as I do at peace after a session. Plus, my shoulders look amazing!

However, I had signed up for a MMA training gym at a low point in my life. I really attribute punching and kicking something with all the anger inside to me healing. Nothing feels better than that.

If you love boxing, do boxing!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    with my fibromyalgia, i have to do both, every day: bash the muscles, break them apart (my 'boxing' is running and longboarding) then smooth and soothe them (yoga, pilates, stretching). one without the other is just half the story. and in my case the results of imbalance between them are immediately apparent: i have more fibro pain, sensitivity, and fatigue. that's not even mentioning the fact that longboarding is how i healthfully release huge amounts of stress and agression (exhale) and yoga is how i meditate and refocus (inhale). both are forms of physical and mental relaxation, but one is more 'yang' and one is more 'yin'. one deconstructs, the other constructs. i need them both.
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    I do both every day
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    As a woman, a lot of people tell me I need to/should do yoga. A good friend of mine is a Yogi and even did private sessions with me (God bless her). The problem is that I just don't like it. It's not for me. I gave it my all - an honest effort. I get it. I see the benefits, but .... MEH. :indifferent:

I enjoy boxing. :happy: Beating that bag like it stole my lunch money is MY zen. Getting rhythm with a speed bag, putting a face on it & punching the **** out of it! Now, THAT'S RELEASE! OHHHHHMMMMM. Namaste beaatch! :happy:

Which do you prefer? Calming, fluid activities or beating the stuffing out of something? Maybe even a little of both?

Yoga growing up for me pretty much was a lifestyle, a way of life (with much disapproval from the observing surrounding community, frowning upon what they'd interpreted as very unChristly ~ a practice of a demonic faith). Later it progressively became my go to for my meditative purposes (i) before an exam (ii) interviews and of course (iii) stress management. What I'd never realised I'd especially love about it, is how it balances my overall wellbeing symbiotically ~ the positive use and the redirection of my energy fields through the disciplines of the practice throughout my day and my life, with how I choose to consciously detemine my "Yays" and my "Nays."

Boxing which I'd started with pretty early, is therapy for me; I'm a hot-head so it's an avenue that has pretty much evolved into being more than just boxing, benefitting my other combat training workout routines.

ETA: Yoga is Anger Management & Boxing (plus other forms of combat) is all about survival. My world was such that you'd needed to know how to reign it in (when purposefully agitated) ONLY you'd better have mastered self-defence or the crowd will take you out. It wasn't about choice when I'd started with either ~ they were mandatory for the increased chances of my self-defence and survival when it came down to it.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I do both, but the Yoga is a bit different. Look up Piyo. it's a fast pace yoga/pilates hybrid design for flexibility and strength training. i enjoyed both very much.
  • fitmom07
    fitmom07 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think I would get bored with yoga. I would rather kick and punch haha! I like the intensity, plus it definitely helps release stress.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've found it's really hard to counter most punches with yoga.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. Never tried boxing but it seems like something I'd enjoy also as I like a balance between high energy and calming.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    If I did yoga, most of the time will be spent thinking other things and thats somethign I wanna avoid when I workout.

yoga is really as much a spiritual practice (maybe more) as a physical one. Yes the postures may be challenging to achieve and hold... but it's the quieting of the mind that is the true challenge. Learning to remain calm, focused, and without distraction, is an "exercise" we can all benefit from. If you are thinking about your daily stresses as you are attempting a yoga posture, that's like...the mental equivalent of "bad form".

I'm not saying everyone needs to do yoga, or that more aggressive, "stimulating" activities aren't also amazing and beneficial, I just wanted to point out that learning not to be distracted is kind of the main point of yoga practice.