Toughest hike in my life. nervous.

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
I'm a bit nervous! Next Saturday I want to hike up Ben Nevis, the highest top in the UK. It's a 1350m uphill walk, with an average increase by 17%.

I've only ever did two hikes of about 700m, up through the jungle to Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro last year, and this year in Zion NP to Observation Point (12% increase average) and I'm seriously worried about whether I'll manage to be honest.

I'm fit, but all my life I've not been able to walk uphill as I always ended up with shortness of breath, heavy legs and light headedness. I now know that this is a low bloodpressure dysregulation issue, and lower leg compression and lots of salt helps somewhat. But it will still be very, very tough.

Food, clothes and emergency pack are sorted already. For a change the weather might not be too bad either. Basically I'm just looking for support and accountability.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Which route are you taking
  • yirara
    Options
    The easy one. If I manage to get there, and if visibility and wind are ok I have CMD in the back of my head (I'm not confident with heights, but that's a different story) as there's a very special geocache there that I'd love to find. But it's unlikely I'll get there.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The easier route is still heavy going, but it is nice.

Have a good day.
  • SusanMcMc
    SusanMcMc Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You got this. Slow and steady. Catch your breath if you need to. Give yourself plenty of time and remember how awesome it will be to get to the top!
  • yirara
    Options
    SusanMcMc wrote: »
    You got this. Slow and steady. Catch your breath if you need to. Give yourself plenty of time and remember how awesome it will be to get to the top!

Thanks a lot :) I'm sure I need a lot of small breaks to get my lovely blood out of my legs and back into my brains :D But yes, I'm really looking forward to it. If I manage this I'll enjoy Tenerife later this year.

Zion Observation Point actually did go quite well, at way over 30C. I only needed 2.5h up and 2h down, well within the recommended walking time of 4-5 hours. So lets see how this goes.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    It sounds like a great hike but , seriously, have you been medically cleared to do this? Do you have a plan more than "taking breaks" if your BP tanks? Do you have criteria of when to turn back? Do you a reliable means of communication?

I would suggest doing a few more intermediate hikes to gradually increase your capacity. I know I sound like a spoil-sport but you did ask for accountability. Stay safe and have fun.
  • yirara
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It sounds like a great hike but , seriously, have you been medically cleared to do this? Do you have a plan more than "taking breaks" if your BP tanks?

I've been doing this for all my life (ok, not as a child simple because my parents never went into the mountains. But I could not run either). So yes, some 24 years of dragging myself up lots of elevation with lots of minibreaks all over the world. So don't worry. Nothing will happen other than pensioners overtaking me, wondering why a young-looking small woman needs so many breaks. :D:D
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to wish you a fantastic hike. (I'm quite envious, in a nice way :))

Try to elevate your legs when resting and keep you eye on your electrolytes- especially if the heat wave is still toasting Scotland.

Don't forget to take pics, then come back and post them.

(I wish I had known you lived in Scotland, I have just spent 2 months in the Borders and it would have been fun to meet up.)

Cheers, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    It sounds like a great hike but , seriously, have you been medically cleared to do this? Do you have a plan more than "taking breaks" if your BP tanks?

I've been doing this for all my life (ok, not as a child simple because my parents never went into the mountains. But I could not run either). So yes, some 24 years of dragging myself up lots of elevation with lots of minibreaks all over the world. So don't worry. Nothing will happen other than pensioners overtaking me, wondering why a young-looking small woman needs so many breaks. :D:D

Nothing wrong with breaks. Have fun, we look forward to your report!
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Your post reminded me of my visit to Scotland and hiking Cairn Gorm. We went with a guide, up the “most direct” route; I think there were about 6 false summits. We had only moments of visibility but it waaa still worth the climb. How does it compare to what you will be doing, OP? Will you start at the base? I’m pretty sure we didn’t but what do I know!
  • yirara
    Options
    mkculs wrote: »
    Your post reminded me of my visit to Scotland and hiking Cairn Gorm. We went with a guide, up the “most direct” route; I think there were about 6 false summits. We had only moments of visibility but it waaa still worth the climb. How does it compare to what you will be doing, OP? Will you start at the base? I’m pretty sure we didn’t but what do I know!

Oh wow! that sounds lovely! yes, I have to start at the base, nearly at sea level as there's no other way up. I'm getting super excited now :smiley:
  • yirara
    Options
    Just dropping in to wish you a fantastic hike. (I'm quite envious, in a nice way :))

Try to elevate your legs when resting and keep you eye on your electrolytes- especially if the heat wave is still toasting Scotland.

Don't forget to take pics, then come back and post them.

(I wish I had known you lived in Scotland, I have just spent 2 months in the Borders and it would have been fun to meet up.)

Cheers, h.

Oh wow! Should have known, right? I hope you had a lovely time in the Borders.
    My funny blood pressure problem is a bit similar to this low blood pressure issue where you suddenly get a fast pulse when you get active: it stops when you stop doing this. In my case my blood leaves my legs immediately when I stop, and drops down again when I continue. It's always fascinating to reach the top of something: I drag myself up the last few meters, walk on kind of flat ground, and all the problems are immediately gone and I could add another 10km of brisk walking as long as the terrain remains flat.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm always annoyed that I never climbed Ben Nevis (a bunch of my friends did), however apparently compared to other hikes they did it's actually not as bad as you'd think. I mean, yes, it is still a bloomin' great big mound but the walk is steady, and if you're going up the main route, then the trail underfoot is very nice to walk on.

Anyhoos, good luck, don't worry about having breaks, if you need them, then you need them :smiley:
  • yirara
    Options
    deviette wrote: »
    I'm always annoyed that I never climbed Ben Nevis (a bunch of my friends did), however apparently compared to other hikes they did it's actually not as bad as you'd think. I mean, yes, it is still a bloomin' great big mound but the walk is steady, and if you're going up the main route, then the trail underfoot is very nice to walk on.

Anyhoos, good luck, don't worry about having breaks, if you need them, then you need them :smiley:

Thanks a lot :blush: Shame you never managed to walk up. For me, it's only a 3.5hrs drive to Fort William, thus if the weather is really bad then I might be able to repeat this another time.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with breaks. I forgot my inhaler on a hike yesterday, with a 1400-ft elevation gain, and there were several short (<5 minutes or so) breathers while I convinced myself that yes, it would be worth it and awesome, and my glutes and lungs just needed to get themselves in gear.
  • yirara
    Options
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    good luck and enjoy yourself :sweat_smile:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's really step!
  • yirara
    Options
    Wow, that's really step!

Yeah, that's Scotland for you. Our small mountains and hills look like the tops of proper mountains. Some hills are so steep that you can only scramble up and if you fall you fall all the way down again.