Do you eat Breakfast?

Options

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    breakfast is pretty important really.. after sleeping for 6-8 hours, your body hasn't received any nutrients.. and eating as soon as possible after waking up will jump start your metabolism. and you may even consume less calories during lunch.

on the other hand, if you don't eat breakfast and when lunch time comes you might just reach for whatever it is available to satisfy your hunger..

just my thoughts. feel free to intervene and correct me if i'm wrong.

Intervened.

You are wrong.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast if I am hungry. I don't force myself. My breakfast consists of 1 dippy egg and toast, or 1/4 cup yogurt with blueberries and granola, or a bagel and cream cheese. IF I don't eat it, I am usually starving by 10 and then will get the munchies and chips are my downfall. If I am not at work, I usually don't worry so much about eating breakfast but will wait until I am hungry. I do preach to my kids to be sure they have something. Fruit, toast, etc. I do believe it boosts your metabolism and gets it going for the day. I just don't think that works for everyone.
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I've started having breakfast every day since joining MFP but it doesn't come naturally. I eat a decent breakfast at 7 am once I get to work (Cream of Wheat or Oatmeal and yogurt), a very light lunch around noon (a hardboiled egg or piece of string cheese with a carrot or cucumber or something similar) and then a large dinner, usually a lean protein and veggies, maybe some sort of carb. I go to the gym about 7 and may have a snack after if I have the calories. By 7 am I'm starving and ready for my bland hot cereal. Doing it this way evens out my calories in a way that works for me, first meal after a workout and right before being the substantial ones. All bets are off on the weekends though!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have to or I'm starving by 9 AM. But everyone is different. My husband and daughter are not big breakfast eaters and they do just fine.
  • lessele
    lessele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I eat a fat free yogurt and fruit for breakfast or a bowl of high fiber cereal for breakfast with fruit. always have, probably always will. I dont always eat it the moment I get up...sometimes it is mid morning but I find if I dont have at least a little complex carb and protein in the morning, by 11am I am literally famished. Everyone is different, but for me this works best. I am not one to eat a heavy eggs and bacon type thing except very occasionally like once a year maybe...it will make me want to go to sleep! a little protein and complex carb. stokes my furnace and gets me going. In additon I simply love my coffee and if I dont eat and drink coffee sometimes it will wreak havoc with my stomach.

We need to experiment with what works best for us and follow our body's messages. When we over ate, we couldnt even hear what our bodies were saying. If I listen, it tells me what we need as I am not seperate from it!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    My first meal of the day is "breakfast" whether I eat it at 8am or 1pm. Generally it's closer to 1.
  • jilliangetsit
    jilliangetsit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Someone I added as a friend recently was looking at my food diary and noticed I had not been eating anything for breakfast. They suggested SlimFast shakes - It's good for you, nutrition wise- full of vitamins etc but slimfast brand tastes disgusting to me !! A personal friend of mine suggested HONESTLY the Dollar General brand - DG health Nutritional Drink is what its called (only 6$). The chocolate flavor is so tasty and if you like hot coffee in the morning, I suggest drinking it with your coffee! I do it :) not mixing them together in the same glass but taking a sip of your coffee and then follow it with the shake. They go great together!! Seriously!!YUM!! I don't have a lot of time to spare when I wake up in the morning. Virtually every minute I have before work is accounted for. These shakes are hearty feeling, like a meal but without having to prepare it and its more like just something to drink in the AM like/or with coffee. Try it out! Only 250 calories a drink and it curbs
    your appetite until snack time. Also, consider how many meals you eat throughout the day. I start with the shake at 7am, a snack at 10am, lunch between 11:30-12, snack at 2-2:30 and dinner by 5. I try to finish my eating for the day before 7 pm and squeeze in whatever exercise is needed to keep me within my calorie goal for the day :) TRY THE SHAKE!! lol hope that helps. Cheers~
    ps. add me!
  • MinimizingMichelle
    MinimizingMichelle Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I eat in the morning if I'm hungry, and I don't mean hungry to the point that my stomach is growling and I'm feeling sickly. I'm a firm believer in listening to my body and learning to recognize when I'm ACTUALLY hungry. When I follow this and consciously pay attention, I'm most successful (lost 14 pounds in 1 month eating between 1200 and 1500 calories - prior to going back on steroids). I hope this helps!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I start with ice cold water and by the time I'm making breakfast I'm having my first coffee. Yes, breakfast is important but I know a lot people that skip it or wait til they are hungry, I'm just usually hungry when I wake up
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I start with ice cold water and by the time I'm making breakfast I'm having my first coffee. Yes, breakfast is important but I know a lot people that skip it or wait til they are hungry, I'm just usually hungry when I wake up

Enlighten me on why breakfast is important, please.
  • ecbuckteef
    ecbuckteef Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat breakfast but after a lot of research I've started to do so. Studies show that eating breakfast jump starts your metabolism and helps your body burn more calories throughout the day. It's best to eat a high-protein breakfast (eggwhites, yogurt, nuts) to help you feel full longer. Studies have also shown that people who eat a high protein breakfast are more likely to eat better during the day.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/29/can-eat-late-and-still-lose-weight/
  • marcy_76
    marcy_76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The thought of food makes me nauseous in the mornings. I usually drink coffee for a couple of hours. If I know I have to do my exercising in the mornings, I'll gnaw down a few Cheerios. Otherwise, I'm more of a brunch time of person, after 10 am. It works for me.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I never used to eat breakfast but after a lot of research I've started to do so. Studies show that eating breakfast jump starts your metabolism and helps your body burn more calories throughout the day. It's best to eat a high-protein breakfast (eggwhites, yogurt, nuts) to help you feel full longer. Studies have also shown that people who eat a high protein breakfast are more likely to eat better during the day.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/29/can-eat-late-and-still-lose-weight/

Eating breakfast does not jump start your metabolism.
  • bethanyfranco1
    Options
    I used to skip it, but now that I only average 4 hours of sleep per night, I don't anymore. My advice would be to sleep as much as you can. Helps you eat less :)
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I used to skip it, but now that I only average 4 hours of sleep per night, I don't anymore. My advice would be to sleep as much as you can. Helps you eat less :)

:laugh: This actually works.
  • 3nchantress
    Options
    I don't really like to eat breakfast, but when I don't it's really tempting around 9:30am (I wake up at 5am) to run to the coffee shop on my break and pick up something that's going to mess with my calories for the rest of the day. Eating breakfast is the only way I've been able to avoid that urge.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Always. Breakfast fills me up, and I eat less over the course of the day. If I skip breakfast, I find myself eating a big dinner or being hungry later on at night.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating breakfast when I was a small child. I just am not hungry and feel better if I don't.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast, and will generally be a miserable, irritable *kitten* all morning if I don't.

But I don't think everyone has to eat breakfast. Eat what you need to, when you need to, in order to meet your goals. If that means skipping breakfast, so be it.
  • penutbuttercups01
    Options
    I sure do, i dream about breakfast all day long, it is always my favourite meal of the day, but there is such thing as intermittent fasting where you skip breaky and don't eat till lunch time, i guess it is a preference thing? maybe it work fro some maybe not so good for others, If i didnt id chow the house down at lunch especially because i engage in fasted cardio 5 am every morning...