Vegetarian KETO weight loss stall HELP!

Options
Holly_Wood_888
Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi All, I started keto on June 25 - dropped 6lbs by July 4 and now I’m gaining . I track all macros, I generally stay at 22 net carbs but struggle with eating too much protein ... on Saturday I indulged in cauliflower crust pizza with a lot of cheese - I was up 1lb on Sunday ... last night I had curried tofu and I am up another pound ...(over by 37g of protein yesterday)
I am struggling to balance my meals as a vegetarian ... because keto also limits veggie intake (due to carbs) I am finding I only feel full eating a good amount of protein at each meal. I eat fish and eggs .... Looking for advice ... / help with vegetarian meal ideas .

Replies

• Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    9i816p2lzzgl5.png
    bvwcffzau11i.png
    g/up827dja1x7e.png
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    So you've been gaining just over the past six days? I think it's too early to worry. Where are you in your cycle (if you have one).

Also, are you counting calories?

If you like eating lots of protein and you are struggling to balance your meals, are you sure keto is the right plan for you?
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    r3rpdcm6r54x.png
    jcs6brj71t35.png
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    So you've been gaining just over the past six days? I think it's too early to worry. Where are you in your cycle (if you have one).

Also, are you counting calories?

If you like eating lots of protein and you are struggling to balance your meals, are you sure keto is the right plan for you?

I use a carb Ap that tracks everything . I actually struggle to hit 1100 calories while staying within the carb and protein restrictions . I did gain a pound on Sunday and a pound this morning 😔 I never thought eating 5oz of protein at each meal was eating too much ... I feel I need that much protein because my veggie count has to be so low ...

I’m a bit frustrated because I’ve changed everything and I’m going backwards . No sugar, no alcohol, low carbs, tons of water and exercising 4-5 times a week... come on body !!! I want you to Burn my fat !!!
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    oib4zxa2cpnq.png
    Silly question ? What do you mean by cycle .
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your portions with a food scale?
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Yes I am
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    oib4zxa2cpnq.png

Do you have periods? Could this weight be related to where you are in your cycle?

I typically gain temporary water weight when I ovulate and the week before I start my period.

• Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    oib4zxa2cpnq.png

Do you have periods? Could this weight be related to where you are in your cycle?

I typically gain temporary water weight when I ovulate and the week before I start my period.

I did just finish ovulating ... won’t be having my period for about 11 days
  • Holly_Wood_888
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Yes I am

It looks like you're logging things like "1/2 avocado" and butter by the tablespoon. Are these foods being weighed too?

I am weighing everything - the exception is the avocado- I can start weighing that . I do measure olive oil/ butter using tbsp or tsp
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    Hi All, I started keto on June 25 - dropped 6lbs by July 4 and now I’m gaining .

I’m a bit frustrated because I’ve changed everything and I’m going backwards . No sugar, no alcohol, low carbs, tons of water and exercising 4-5 times a week... come on body !!! I want you to Burn my fat !!!

Weight loss doesn't happen over night. Stick to your plan for a few months. You will see results. Normal weight loss is 1-2 lbs/week. Sometimes less if you don't have much to lose. Think long term.

Also, see the graph wolfman posted:
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Going over on protein does not result in weight gain...and I'd hardly call 70 some odd grams of protein a lot. You're going to have all kinds of ups and downs when losing weight...you don't lose weight in a linear manner...weight loss looks like this...

weighttrendgraph1.gif

ETA- also, keto and vegetarian seems wayyyyy to limiting. I would advise picking one or the other.

Thank you for your insight, much appreciated . This is seemingly constricting as a vegetarian .
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Going over on protein does not result in weight gain...and I'd hardly call 70 some odd grams of protein a lot. You're going to have all kinds of ups and downs when losing weight...you don't lose weight in a linear manner...weight loss looks like this...

weighttrendgraph1.gif

Thankyou for this :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Yes I am

It looks like you're logging things like "1/2 avocado" and butter by the tablespoon. Are these foods being weighed too?

I am weighing everything - the exception is the avocado- I can start weighing that . I do measure olive oil/ butter using tbsp or tsp

Yeah, I still think six days is too early to worry, but since you already have a scale it is a good idea to weigh calorie-dense foods like avocado and butter. I've found that avocados vary quite a bit in weight and "1/2 avocado" isn't a very useful measurement.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Options
    Hi All, I started keto on June 25 - dropped 6lbs by July 4 and now I’m gaining . I track all macros, I generally stay at 22 net carbs but struggle with eating too much protein ... on Saturday I indulged in cauliflower crust pizza with a lot of cheese - I was up 1lb on Sunday ... last night I had curried tofu and I am up another pound ...(over by 37g of protein yesterday)
    I am struggling to balance my meals as a vegetarian ... because keto also limits veggie intake (due to carbs) I am finding I only feel full eating a good amount of protein at each meal. I eat fish and eggs .... Looking for advice ... / help with vegetarian meal ideas .

@Holly_Wood_888 it sounds like you are on track. Give it 365 days to get the hang of it. While I do some beef my main protein sources are eggs, tuna, nuts and mainly dairy products made from mainly the cream. Because of the nuts my daily carbs run around the 50 grams mark.

I started seriously in Oct 2014 and did not lose even ONE pound of weight for the 1st 45 days but I was losing fat at the waist and face but not losing weight so measuring is important to see success.

Getting enough protein may be your first concern since your sources are limited as you noted. Getting enough salt and magnesium was a huge problem for me for a while.

I was not teasing abou needing a year to get any form of Keto figured out.

Because of forty years of diet failure I took weight loss off of the table in Oct 2014 but after the end of the first year I had lost 50 pounds and it has automatically stayed off these last three years eating all that I want to stay full.

Keto is based on biology more than simple math I found out over the past four years. The Keto range of macros work well to stop my cravings and therefore my binging. That started to happen in the first 30-90 days thankfully.

Best of continued success. I was succeeding from the start but though I was failing due to the scales. If one is not losing pounds but pants keep falling down then that is success. :)

Thanks for the encouragement ! I love hearing success stories 😁