What is a sport?

Options
1PatientBear
1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
I've had this debate many times and one of my friends and I came up with what I think is a pretty good definition. Something is a sport if and only if the action is decided by the players/officials on the field (i.e. football, basketball, volleyball, tennis, track and field, weight lifting, golf, etc). If the outcome is decided by a judge (diving, cheerleading, gymnastics, etc), then it is an athletic competition but NOT a sport.

Let me fight off all the indignation from the get go. I absolutely recognize that cheerleaders and gymnasts and divers are athletes. They have talent, they have ability and they work hard at their craft. I am not, in any way, attempting to minimize their efforts or accomplishments. But their chosen event does not, in my opinion, qualify as a sport because the outcome is beyond their ultimate control.

Thoughts?

Replies

• azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    People....they can be good sports too. And any form of auto racing.
  • azzkikin
    Options
    Bowling
  • azzkikin
    Options
    Fishing
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    Yup. All sports. Now quit hogging the thread azz.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    whoa whoa whoa...
    Disagree 100%
    Boxing is a sport. If it goes the distance, its decided by the judges.

Burn!
    kelso-burn.jpg
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure track & field as well as weight lifting use "judging" as well. As a matter of fact all officiating is essentially "judging" if you want to get right down to it. An official can absolutely have an effect on the outcome of a game based on their good or bad judgement call on a play, move, etc.....
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    sport
    /spôrt/

Noun

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Verb

Wear or display: "sporting a mustache".
    Synonyms
    noun. fun - game - play - amusement
    verb. play - frolic

Or were you just looking for my opinion?
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    Golf is not a sport. It's a skill....What's next throwing darts is a sport.

Let the argueing begin
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    Pretty sure track & field as well as weight lifting use "judging" as well. As a matter of fact all officiating is essentially "judging" if you want to get right down to it. An official can absolutely have an effect on the outcome of a game based on their good or bad judgement call on a play, move, etc.....

That's why I said players/officials on the field. Track & field is based on times or distance. That's not subjective. Weight lifting is based on weight. Also not subjective.

Boxing is an interesting example because yes, it is a sport, but can come down to a judge's decision. Hmmmmm.......
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    fishing is definitely not a sport. its more of a hobby.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    sport
    /spôrt/

Noun

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Verb

Wear or display: "sporting a mustache".
    Synonyms
    noun. fun - game - play - amusement
    verb. play - frolic

Or were you just looking for my opinion?

^This is the actual definition of sport.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

That's why I said players/officials on the field. Track & field is based on times or distance. That's not subjective. Weight lifting is based on weight. Also not subjective.

Boxing is an interesting example because yes, it is a sport, but can come down to a judge's decision. Hmmmmm.......
    I agree with you on the weight/distance/speed, etc....but what about the judges on the field & track who watch the athletes to make sure they don't step out of lane? that they don't scratch on a jump or throw? Those who watch each lift at said weight to make sure they lock out, get full ROM, etc..... just playing both sides here.....
  • 1PatientBear
    Options

I agree with you on the weight/distance/speed, etc....but what about the judges on the field & track who watch the athletes to make sure they don't step out of lane? that they don't scratch on a jump or throw? Those who watch each lift at said weight to make sure they lock out, get full ROM, etc..... just playing both sides here.....

Fair points, but again, those are the officials on the field and are part of the action. When I said judges, I meant like gymnastics judges or diving judges who give a score that determines the winner. A diver can't win an event just based on their own action like a swimmer can. A diver has to rely on the subjective opinion of another person.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    fishing is definitely not a sport. its more of a hobby.

Fair point as well!
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options

Track and field not subjective? Might I remind you about the Race Walking event at a track meet? Although not done at all levels, I work at a college and have to sit through it at every track meet. Well, anyway, in this event, officials are actually responsible for monitoring how the participants walk - ie, 1 foot has to be in contact with the ground and knees have to straighten. .....Sounds subjective to me pending the officials experience...They can disqualify an athlete regardless of time... Thus determining the outcome of the event
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    whoa whoa whoa...
    Disagree 100%
    Boxing is a sport. If it goes the distance, its decided by the judges.

Burn!
    kelso-burn.jpg
    Agree!!! One of the most physically demanding sports IMO!
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bowling

I have to disagree with bowling.
    If you can hold a beer or a hoagie in one hand & still perform said event, it's not a sport. It's a game. :drinker:
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    They are all sports.

I think your question would be more properly phrased as:

What is the difference between a game and a competition?
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Golf is not a sport. It's a skill....What's next throwing darts is a sport.

Let the argueing begin

Golf is totally a sport. Cheerleading is totally not a sport.
  • 1PatientBear
    Options

Track and field not subjective? Might I remind you about the Race Walking event at a track meet? Although not done at all levels, I work at a college and have to sit through it at every track meet. Well, anyway, in this event, officials are actually responsible for monitoring how the participants walk - ie, 1 foot has to be in contact with the ground and knees have to straighten. .....Sounds subjective to me pending the officials experience...They can disqualify an athlete regardless of time... Thus determining the outcome of the event

Again, those are officials on the field.