What is a sport?

Options

Replies

• tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    So Boxing would be a competition and not a sport, since it is derived from a point system that uses judges?
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Bowling

I have to disagree with bowling.
    If you can hold a beer or a hoagie in one hand & still perform said event, it's not a sport. It's a game. :drinker:

I'd really like to see someone bowl over 100 with food or drink in their hand WHILE bowling.
    Sure, bowlers are not athletes, but bowling is a sport.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Pretty sure track & field as well as weight lifting use "judging" as well. As a matter of fact all officiating is essentially "judging" if you want to get right down to it. An official can absolutely have an effect on the outcome of a game based on their good or bad judgement call on a play, move, etc.....

That's why I said players/officials on the field. Track & field is based on times or distance. That's not subjective. Weight lifting is based on weight. Also not subjective.

Boxing is an interesting example because yes, it is a sport, but can come down to a judge's decision. Hmmmmm.......

Track and field not subjective? Might I remind you about the Race Walking event at a track meet? Although not done at all levels, I work at a college and have to sit through it at every track meet. Well, anyway, in this event, officials are actually responsible for monitoring how the participants walk - ie, 1 foot has to be in contact with the ground and knees have to straighten. .....Sounds subjective to me pending the officials experience...They can disqualify an athlete regardless of time... Thus determining the outcome of the event

Again, those are officials on the field.

If we are getting semantical here - they're on the track
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    So Boxing would be a competition and not a sport, since it is derived from a point system that uses judges?

We already talked about boxing
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bowling

If you can hold a beer or a hoagie in one hand & still perform said event, it's not a sport. It's a game. :drinker:

I'd really like to see someone bowl over 100 with food or drink in their hand WHILE bowling.
    It's possible though.......and it's how i bowl (in the mid 90s) :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    sport
    /spôrt/

Noun

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Verb

Wear or display: "sporting a mustache".
    Synonyms
    noun. fun - game - play - amusement
    verb. play - frolic

Or were you just looking for my opinion?

^This is the actual definition of sport.
    Agreed, If you don't think an activity is worthy of the title sport that doesn't mean that it doesn't require physical exertion or skill and it doesn't mean the they are not competing with each other.

For example I see Juggling as a sport because it requires physical exertion and skill and there are competitions against other people that can be won.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Golf is not a sport. It's a skill....What's next throwing darts is a sport.

Let the argueing begin

Golf is totally a sport. Cheerleading is totally not a sport.

As a cheerleading coach, I'd like to ask how you've decided it's not a sport. Competition cheerleaders compete against other squads, which makes it a sport by definition. Besides that, the level of gymnastics, coordination, agility, etc. that is needed is up there with any (and sometimes beyond) any other activity that you would consider a sport.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Bowling

It's possible though.......and it's how i bowl (in the mid 90s) :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

That's not really bowling. It's like saying you play baseball when all you do is go to the batting cages.
  • katbirdinpa
    Options
    what about swimmers, is swimming a sport?
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options
    Bowling

That's not really bowling. It's like saying you play baseball when all you do is go to the batting cages.
    Now you're getting personal about my mad bowling skills! :angry:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    what about eSports? is playing Starcraft or League of Legends a sport? those games take incredible reflexes along with strategy.
  • scottaworley
    Options

Let the argueing begin

As a cheerleading coach, I'd like to ask how you've decided it's not a sport. Competition cheerleaders compete against other squads, which makes it a sport by definition. Besides that, the level of gymnastics, coordination, agility, etc. that is needed is up there with any (and sometimes beyond) any other activity that you would consider a sport.

It's not a sport because it is not objective. This has been covered pretty well. It is an athletic competition, but definitely not a sport. Is body building a sport?
    I didn't think so.
    Further, I could find better coordination and flexibility at a yoga class. But is yoga a sport?
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options
    what about eSports? is playing Starcraft or League of Legends a sport? those games take incredible reflexes along with strategy.
    ...LOL - Based on the criteria established here, yep.
  • scottaworley
    Options

I play madden and mlb2k on the wii. And those will always be a sport. Not sure about something that you only use your hands for, though.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Bowling

Now you're getting personal about my mad bowling skills! :angry:

If it makes you feel better, I play baseball and hit 5 out of 20 balls in the batting cage. :)
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    what about swimmers, is swimming a sport?

Absolutely. The outcome is decided by the swimmers.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Let the argueing begin

It's not a sport because it is not objective. This has been covered pretty well. It is an athletic competition, but definitely not a sport. Is body building a sport?
    I didn't think so.
    Further, I could find better coordination and flexibility at a yoga class. But is yoga a sport?

You've obviously never seen a cheerleading competition or you wouldn't make the crack about yoga. Do you not consider gymnastics a sport? Because I seem to recall it being in the Olympics last I checked...And I realize that it's been covered, but I already covered the fact that you can debate all you want about what a sport is but the definition is clear.
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    ...LOL - Based on the criteria established here, yep.

No, an "esport" is not a sport. There has to be SOME element of physical activity to qualify as a sport. Chess is not a sport either.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options
    [/quote]
    I didn't think so.
    [/quote]

smh - I think using the word athletic & competition by nature entitles the event to be a sport. So you're saying anything that is judged SUBjectively is NOT a sport? gymnastics, ice skating, diving - the more artistic events?
  • scottaworley
    Options

Let the argueing begin

I didn't think so.

You've obviously never seen a cheerleading competition or you wouldn't make the crack about yoga. Do you not consider gymnastics a sport? Because I seem to recall it being in the Olympics last I checked...And I realize that it's been covered, but I already covered the fact that you can debate all you want about what a sport is but the definition is clear.

.... taking this way too seriously.