Should E-cigs be banned?

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
So my boyfriend just got a vaporizer to cut out his cigar habit. I'm all for this. I think it's a safe alternative, and it tastes yummy. The "juice" is made from vegetable glycerin, food grade propylene glycol, and flavoring. He's not using any nicotine.

I'm reading now that there is a push world wide to ban e-cigs in public places like cigarettes. France has already banned it. The UK is trying to adopt this ban and make it only purchasable with a prescription. And flaky California has bill out to ban the e-cigs.

I wonder if it's a push by big tobacco and pharmaceuticals. I cant see how water vapor and flavoring smell is harmful. Of course I have no idea how VG and PG are broken down in the lungs, but it seems like such a shame to ban something that would help people stop smoking.

There isnt a lot of research out there. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    if just a mild smell coming off of it and its not carcinogenic then i dont see a problem with it. its probably less offensive than a lot of perfume older ladies wear.

do older ladies choose pungent perfumes because their sense of smell is decreasing?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    if just a mild smell coming off of it and its not carcinogenic then i dont see a problem with it. its probably less offensive than a lot of perfume older ladies wear.

do older ladies choose pungent perfumes because their sense of smell is decreasing?

Hey. I'm old. I don't like perfume either.

I don't think it's an age thing. Some young people wear too much, too.

OP, does the eCig cast off an aroma? If it does, then I'd be all for banning them in buildings. Some smells trigger migraines for me. Smokers can smoke their eCigs outside.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    They should stay legal...that way "other" vaporizer pens can be used incognito
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I think it's banned in public places because I don't want people blowing smoke of any kind (even if you call it "vapor" to make it sound better) in my face. I think e-cigs are great if they help people quit cigarettes, but that doesn't mean I should have to inhale it.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

OP, does the eCig cast off an aroma? If it does, then I'd be all for banning them in buildings. Some smells trigger migraines for me. Smokers can smoke their eCigs outside.

The one he bought does give off an aroma...pineapple upside down cake, but how is it any more offensive then some perfumes or fragrances.

We spray febreeze all over the place here in the hospital, and it makes me sick.
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    I think it's banned in public places because I don't want people blowing smoke of any kind (even if you call it "vapor" to make it sound better) in my face. I think e-cigs are great if they help people quit cigarettes, but that doesn't mean I should have to inhale it.

They dont just "call" it vapor. there is a clear difference between what vapor and smoke are.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    if E-Cigs are banned, than I should be banned from mexican and chinese food as well.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options

The one he bought does give off an aroma...pineapple upside down cake, but how is it any more offensive then some perfumes or fragrances.

We spray febreeze all over the place here in the hospital, and it makes me sick.

The problem as I see it is that if you are in a restaurant and three people next to are smoking the eCig, that aroma would be pervasive. Remember the herbal cigarettes? I don't remember what they were made from, but that smell was pukable.

I'm with you on the Febreeze. The should ban that too. :tongue:
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I feel like vapor pens and e-cigs are a great alternative to smoking.

My in-laws switched to e-cigs and their house smells so much better.

I feel like there is a time and place for things though. I work with a girl who smokes a vapor pen like all day, AT WORK. Like come on, people see you and you work in a doctors office.
    Be professional and keep it to yourself :]
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

but...its not smoke.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I think it's banned in public places because I don't want people blowing smoke of any kind (even if you call it "vapor" to make it sound better) in my face.

It's not smoke. Smoke is a product of combustion - no fire, no smoke.
    I think e-cigs are great if they help people quit cigarettes, but that doesn't mean I should have to inhale it.

I feel the same way about farts. :drinker:
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    if you main reason for banning something is because of the odor then i will be against you every time. You cant just ban anything you aren't a fan of.

I don't like dubstep, doesn't mean it should be banned indoors. I just wont go to a place that plays dubstep
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Really? In a hospital? Any hospital I have been in/worked in is now 'scent free'.

I think e-cigs should be banned indoors only. Jury is out on an out and out ban as there isn't enough scientific data to make a decision.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

The problem as I see it is that if you are in a restaurant and three people next to are smoking the eCig, that aroma would be pervasive. Remember the herbal cigarettes? I don't remember what they were made from, but that smell was pukable.

I'm with you on the Febreeze. The should ban that too. :tongue:

Well if it's a smell issue possibly...EU is actually in the process or may has completed in banning essential ingredients for perfume making due to allergens, so I guess this shouldnt surprise me.

I just think it's a shame to prevent people from quitting. Right now the advantage to e-cigs is you can smoke them anywhere besides France.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Really? In a hospital? Any hospital I have been in/worked in is now 'scent free'.

I think e-cigs should be banned indoors only. Jury is out on an out and out ban as there isn't enough scientific data to make a decision.

Old school hospital...i know
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    We should ban everything I find offensive
    I have that right
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I think it's stupid to out and out ban them... my parents used them and I liked them a lot better than their crappy cigarettes they would buy... it didn't have a smell that I noticed. And I know some people weaning themselves off of nicotine and other cigarette chemicals with them...

But I do know why some places (like Rangers Stadium for example), it's because they don't want smokers to see them and think they are actual cigarettes and believe they are allowed to smoke cigarettes in the area. If that makes any sense. One of our local radio DJ's smokes and advertises for an E-cig store here in the area and that's what multiple stadium staff told him.
  • caseypaige84
    caseypaige84 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great option to help people stop smoking, however, I have often seen people use E-Cigs where it is clearly not appropriate just because it is considered a vapor and not smoke. Example: An employee of mine thought that it would be okay to use her E-Cig in the office???! I have also seen people use them in grocery stores, restaurants, doctors offices, etc. In addition, it is my observation that users seem to puff on E-Cigs more than they ever would a cigarette. I think if more people were considerate of others than there would not be such a push for banning them.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

You're scared of fog too, aren't you.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Tough one really. If they are not harmful at all to people around you then not sure why they would be banned.
    But as a mum, I wouldn't want people smoking fake cigarettes around my kids. I don't want them seeing adults doing it and thinking it is fine. Luckily no one in my immediate family smokes so they don't really have to be around real smoking or e cigarettes at all right now.