Should E-cigs be banned?

Options

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    So after reading more about this - I may or may not want to change my answer.

I live in WA State - one of the states that recently "legalized" marijuana. It would be great for those smokers to be able to get their buzz on outdoors without getting in trouble.

So, if it is possible to vapor pot, then I think I say "Yes" to allowing them.

OUTDOORS.

It is possible to vaporize pot and it's awesome. They also sell little vaporizer pens that are basically he same as E-cigs and are also awesome
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Save your money and suck your thumb.

Haven't Monsanto patented Marlboro digits?
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I wish I had thought of E-Cigs. It's one of the greatest marketing hoaxes perpetrated against the gullible.

I don't see what you are basing that on. It advertises that you will get nicotine in your system and that is what it does. As a nonsmoker they seem great because I don't have to be affected by the smoke. It seems like a win win to me.

yeah im guessing he doesnt really know what they do
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I wish I had thought of E-Cigs. It's one of the greatest marketing hoaxes perpetrated against the gullible.

I don't see what you are basing that on. It advertises that you will get nicotine in your system and that is what it does. As a nonsmoker they seem great because I don't have to be affected by the smoke. It seems like a win win to me.

That's exactly the rationalization that makes me wish I had come up with the idea. I'm thinking of inventing the E-Pizza for weight loss.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    if just a mild smell coming off of it and its not carcinogenic then i dont see a problem with it. its probably less offensive than a lot of perfume older ladies wear.

do older ladies choose pungent perfumes because their sense of smell is decreasing?

Hey. I'm old. I don't like perfume either.

I don't think it's an age thing. Some young people wear too much, too.

OP, does the eCig cast off an aroma? If it does, then I'd be all for banning them in buildings. Some smells trigger migraines for me. Smokers can smoke their eCigs outside.

The one he bought does give off an aroma...pineapple upside down cake, but how is it any more offensive then some perfumes or fragrances.

We spray febreeze all over the place here in the hospital, and it makes me sick.

The problem as I see it is that if you are in a restaurant and three people next to are smoking the eCig, that aroma would be pervasive. Remember the herbal cigarettes? I don't remember what they were made from, but that smell was pukable.

I'm with you on the Febreeze. The should ban that too. :tongue:

Well if it's a smell issue possibly...EU is actually in the process or may has completed in banning essential ingredients for perfume making due to allergens, so I guess this shouldnt surprise me.

I just think it's a shame to prevent people from quitting. Right now the advantage to e-cigs is you can smoke them anywhere besides France.

Whoa. Hold Up Now!

It wouldn't "prevent people from quitting". They only address a physical "habit" - nothing chemical. If someone is quitting, they don't need the thing. Just use a pencil. ForPeteSake. You don't need a crutch to quit smoking.

So how did you quit smoking?
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I think they should make e- cigarettes the only thing available for smokers. It's less toxic and don't have to worry about second hand smoke and cancer and all the other bad stuff that smoking regular cigarettes cause.

Ummm no! Its my right! if I want to smoke tobacco, which I do then I am going to do so. I am a cigar and pipe smoker. we already have enough rules and regulations. Its not YOUR place to tell ME what I can and I cannot do.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

That's exactly the rationalization that makes me wish I had come up with the idea. I'm thinking of inventing the E-Pizza for weight loss.

Pizza doesn't make people fat. The ingredients in cigarettes are harmful. The ingredients in e-juice are not harmful. It's yet to be proven whether or not the delivery is harmful to the user, but most doctors agree that any negatives are few and far between in comparison to tobacco. Most people aren't using e-cigs to quit their habit of inhaling things. They're using it to quit tobacco. Some people use it to eventually kick their nicotine habit. Some people just like vaping with no nic at all. Not much different than chewing gum, IMO.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I think they should make e- cigarettes the only thing available for smokers. It's less toxic and don't have to worry about second hand smoke and cancer and all the other bad stuff that smoking regular cigarettes cause.

Thank you for looking out for us smokers. NOT. We dont need another nanny state law. Its funny to watch people who dont smoke not caring if smokers continue to have the right to do so. I hope some day soon that the government starts to take something from you that you like. I hope its a law that we can all jump on but the people that really want to do it. Then maybe you will realize that the government shouldnt interfere with our personal lives. Until people like you and others realize that, you will eventually lose something you like and I dont want to hear any crying from you when it happens.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options

I think they should make milk the only thing available for drinkers. It's less toxic and you don't have to worry about drunk drivers killing you & all the other bad stuff that drinking alcohol causes (besides getting chubby).:huh:

FTW!
    You put that a lot more nicely than what was in my head. Ty.

Seeing as there are tons and tons of anti-tobacco adds/commercials, and I'm an ex-smoker, going on 9 years smoke free. I would have loved to have a e- cig 9 years ago to help me quit. I know from 1st hand experiences what smoking does to people. My uncle (RIP) who was a smoker, had to have a 1 1/2 lungs removed due lung cancer and was put on oxygen while he lived out the last 15 or so years of his life.

FYI there are non-alcoholic beers and **** for drinkers. I'm sure it taste disgusting, but its available. Milk is no comparison to alcohol. Heck I don't even drink milk unless its flavored or on my cereal. So instead of being nasty to someone about expressing their opinion. Why not post your own thoughts instead, like the OP asked.
  • DOOMTOWNE
    DOOMTOWNE Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can use it to ween yourself off of your current nicotine addiction. You could even use it because it's not smoke, so there is zero tar which makes it the "healthier" alternative.

But wait, who said anything about quitting? I'm pretty sure a lot of cigarette, hookah, cigar, and pipe smokers are moving on to vapes because it's not smoke and thus has no laws attached to where you can smoke it.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    my understanding of the ban discussion (in the US) it that it revolves around the FDA's statement that they don't know whether 1) the vapor exhaled has any adverse affects on your neighbors (this is the same second hand smoke argument from the regular cigarette ban) and 2) whether the lack of combustion (which in theory makes it "easier" to "smoke") may encourage non-smokers to smoke.

So the ban is really about second hand folks inhaling droplets from the vapor (which may or may not be dangerous - no one knows yet) and potentially encouraging smokers because these things are less gross than traditional cigs.

*edited to add - I have no opinion on either of these things (other than I think e cigs are tacky in the office at work - you should jsut use them on your smoke break, just like the regular ones), but am just providing the above as to why the ban is being considered.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

You're still not making sense? Can you take another stab at this please? Are you saying that the e-cig does not give the smoker any nicotine? If so what is your source for such a claim because I haven't found anything to support your position. It isn't really my job to support your claim so I was hoping you would do it.

If you are just talking out your *kitten* that is fine too just say so and I will disregard what you are saying all together.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options

I think they should make milk the only thing available for drinkers. It's less toxic and you don't have to worry about drunk drivers killing you & all the other bad stuff that drinking alcohol causes (besides getting chubby).:huh:

I'm pretty sure she was just expressing her THOUGHTS, which is what the OP asked for...

Thank-you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options

You're still not making sense? Can you take another stab at this please? Are you saying that the e-cig does not give the smoker any nicotine? If so what is your source for such a claim because I haven't found anything to support your position. It isn't really my job to support your claim so I was hoping you would do it.

If you are just talking out your *kitten* that is fine too just say so and I will disregard what you are saying all together.

You are asking RoadDog this question, but let me just say - the OP states that her friend who is using the eCig to assist him to stop smoking cigars is using one with just a flavored liquid and NO nicotine.

I didn't even know you could buy them WITH nicotine.

So in the case of the OP's friend, he is strictly using it for behavior modification, not physiological addiction. *shrug* If that's the use for it, then he could use his thumb. Or a pencil, or a bubblegum cigarette, etc.

• soldier4242
    Options
    my understanding of the ban discussion (in the US) it that it revolves around the FDA's statement that they don't know whether 1) the vapor exhaled has any adverse affects on your neighbors (this is the same second hand smoke argument from the regular cigarette ban) and 2) whether the lack of combustion (which in theory makes it "easier" to "smoke") may encourage non-smokers to smoke.

So the ban is really about second hand folks inhaling droplets from the vapor (which may or may not be dangerous - no one knows yet) and potentially encouraging smokers because these things are less gross than traditional cigs.

*edited to add - I have no opinion on either of these things (other than I think e cigs are tacky in the office at work - you should jsut use them on your smoke break, just like the regular ones), but am just providing the above as to why the ban is being considered.
    If they were to establish a causal link between the vapor and harm to non-smokers I would agree they should be restricted like regular cigarettes. As for point two that is a complete waste of time. If Pepsi found a way to make their soda taste better I would not suggest a ban because it might encourage more soda drinkers.

If an e-cig has no affect on your health then I do not think it is fair to say they can't have one at their desk at work. Since your employer can have his own policies and they don't have to be fair they can still ban then but I do not think that they should. If they aren't hurting anybody and they are just puffing on a e-cig while they work with a spreadsheet so be it. Live and let live.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

I thought I was fairly clear. I think it is ridiculous. I don't smoke cigarettes, but I do enjoy a cigar with my friends. I like the taste, the smell and the ritual that goes with trimming, lighting and enjoying a cigar. An E-cigar would not be able to replace that. If people take offense to my smoking, I won't do it. When I am in my backyard, with my buddies, then those that take offense can leave.
    I wasn't talking out my *kitten*. I was stating my opinion and my opinion is that E-Cigs are very profitable and very unneccessary. They are marketed just as cigarettes were. It's cool.
  • soldier4242
    Options

You are asking RoadDog this question, but let me just say - the OP states that her friend who is using the eCig to assist him to stop smoking cigars is using one with just a flavored liquid and NO nicotine.

I didn't even know you could buy them WITH nicotine.

So in the case of the OP's friend, he is strictly using it for behavior modification, not physiological addiction. *shrug* If that's the use for it, then he could use his thumb. Or a pencil, or a bubblegum cigarette, etc.

Everyone I know that smokes them all have e-cigs that are giving them nicotine. I did not know you could go the other route with it. You can get them so that they give you less nicotine and ramp down off of them completely which is the only way I have seen them used for quitting.

As for the flavored liquid. If you enjoy the flavor I guess it is ok but since you aren't getting the nicotine I don't know how effective it could really be when it comes to satisfying that craving.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Tough one really. If they are not harmful at all to people around you then not sure why they would be banned.
    But as a mum, I wouldn't want people smoking fake cigarettes around my kids. I don't want them seeing adults doing it and thinking it is fine. Luckily no one in my immediate family smokes so they don't really have to be around real smoking or e cigarettes at all right now.

I imagine you also don't want your kids seeing adults drinking and thinking it's fine for them to do it, but that's not banned. I don't want my kid seeing people chewing with their mouths open and thinking it's fine for her to do it, but they're not going to ban that either. It's my job to teach her the behavior that's acceptable for our family. We can't just go banning things in public just because parents don't want to have to explain it to their kids.

Well I do explain it all to my kids and hope they won't smoke, but I see what you mean, you can't exactly shield them from all the things you might want to! But it certainly makes it more difficult for a parent to teach their kids things they shouldnt be doing when they see adults all over doing it.

Personally I would be perfectly happy for alcohol to be banned but that's another topic lol.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

You can get just about any level of nicotine you want. You can get zero, 4mg, 8mg, 12mg, 16mg, higher, lower and in between. Most smokers I know start out using a relatively high level of nicotine and reduce (or not). It just depends on whether they're trying to quit nicotine or just quit tobacco. Also depends on how often and how much they'll be vaping. I make my own juice from flavoring, sweetener, VG and distilled water. No nicotine. DH uses between 12mg and 16mg, depending on flavor b/c it can change the way the vape feels.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point was that the other guy is trying to make; just addressing your response about not knowing about nic levels.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    It isn't FDA approved yet, but I think the fact that they're trying to ban them like they're even close to as damaging as cigarettes or cigars is just ridiculous, population control.