Replies

• Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Almost daily, mornings.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The longest I have gone so far is 2 months. For a short time when I a hit a new lower weight I checked 3 times a week so I could adjust my calories and I checked shortly after coming off a maintenance week.

I am in a calorie deficit so there is nothing that weighing more often can tell me that I need to know until I need to check my rate of loss again. When I get closer to the end I will likely change tactics but I will worry about what that means when I get there.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I weigh myself every day since it's the most precise way to knowing if you're losing or gaining weight. Average weekly weight is what is important, not the dailies. Since I am a lifter and I am on a cut, it becomes much more important, because I want to make sure I am not losing more than 1% of my bodyweight per week. The goal is to preserve as much muscles that I can.
  • spark107goal
    spark107goal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So you guys use the same scale (at your house)?

I get kind of irked seeing different numbers based on where I'm weighed (e.g., gym, doctors office, friend's, etc.)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    So you guys use the same scale (at your house)?

I get kind of irked seeing different numbers based on where I'm weighed (e.g., gym, doctors office, friend's, etc.)

Yep same scale. Trying to keep as many things consistent possible (same scale, time of day, same conditions - i.e. before eating/after using the bathroom)
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »
    At the moment, daily. I've actually found it easier to accept my fluctuations like this than when I weighted a couple of times a week.

So far, I haven't had any fluctuations, but I'm sure they'll come eventually. Interesting to know that you can get a better handle on that with weighing yourself daily. I always that that was overdoing it.

I get fluctuations of up to .5kg (about 1.1lbs). There can be a bunch of reasons for it. Dehydration for low, water retention for high. Heavy evening meal vs heavy lunchtime meal. Exercise in the morning vs evening. Period cycle. etc.
    I'm trying to work out a trend at the moment to see how different things can effect my fluctuation, daily weighing really helps with that.

Before I did daily, I was really disappointed if I hadn't lost (or even if I'd gained) from my previous weigh in. Now I've got a handle on my fluctuations I can see that yes, if I compare two arbitrary points in the week then they may be the same, but the days in the middle were a little down, and the day afterwards is a bit more down, so all in all I'm probably averaging a loss.

I could probably have got the same effect by weighing less frequently, but I'm super impatient and want to weigh more often than once a week (if not longer)
  • Glasscandle
    Glasscandle Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Every morning. Though, at times, the results are baffling.... “how did I gain 3 lbs overnight?!” “how is my weight the same after this week of exercise, eating 1200 cal/day?” As long as you can just shake your head and not obsess over the numbers, it does give you perspective on the physiological mysteries of weight loss. Keep checking the overall trend!
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Every day. I'd feel more anxious if I didn't know my weight. Fluctuations don't negatively effect me.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Nearly every morning, and also random times during the day.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Everyday. Seeing the trend go downward overall despite crazy fluctuations helps me keep my sanity. Otherwise I'd be panicking instead of just annoyed at the scale giving me the exact same flippin number three mornings in a row now. (Not close, the exact same to the decimal!) It's just odd and I'm sure I'll see a drop again in a few days.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and keep track of my data points.
  • cforsyth617
    cforsyth617 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Once a week, on Friday mornings on the same scale. If I weigh myself every day I tend to be too obsessive about the number. I find that if I weigh on Friday mornings it keeps me on track for the weekend.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Almost every morning. There are some mornings that require prioritizing drinking coffee over weighing, so then I just weigh the next day.
  • truff69
    truff69 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Every day, first thing in the morning after going to the loo.

Two reasons:

1. I want regular weighing to become a lifetime habit. Too often I've lost weight then stopped weighing myself, allowing me to pretend that it wasn't creeping back on again (it was, with a bit more each time). If I'm gaining, hopefully being aware of it will mean I do something about it sooner rather than later.

2. Daily fluctuations mean that weekly weigh ins don't always give a true picture. I'm also not so emotionally invested in how much I have or haven't lost that week - those results could so easily ruin my day unnecessarily.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I do it once a week. I am in maintenance and the daily fluctuations tend to bother me. I like to check in weekly and make sure I'm still within a few pounds of my goal.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Twice a day, first thing in the morning and right before bed. I only log my weight first thing Saturday mornings. I know I am doing all the right things everyday so I really don't worry about it, but I do what I do.

Even if my logged weight this week is a little higher than last week, I know it will be less next week because I do the right things everyday.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Almost every morning. There are some mornings that require prioritizing drinking coffee over weighing, so then I just weigh the next day.

Not sure if this will help, but some mornings if I'm pressed for time I'll just quickly jump on the scale and scribble the weight down on a bit of paper, then later I can do all the data inputting and whatnot
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »

Not sure if this will help, but some mornings if I'm pressed for time I'll just quickly jump on the scale and scribble the weight down on a bit of paper, then later I can do all the data inputting and whatnot

I don't really care about it. Fluctuations don't bother me and any one day doesn't matter to me. My food logging is on point and my overall weight trend has been downward. I've lost almost 65 pounds in just over a year so taking a relaxed approach is working out fine for me.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I trust the process and (based on five years of results) that I know how to adhere to the process, so I'm not thrown by fluctuations unrelated to energy balance and don't feel the need for more data points. For me, once a week is the sweet spot for not letting myself ignore the consequences of eating more and moving less while not letting weight management become the sole focus of my life. I'm managing my weight to live better, not living to manage my weight better.

But this is a matter of individual preference, and people should go with what works best for them.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    every morning. more data points.