Beat Saber

Options

Replies

• stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I finally finished editing and playtesting 3 maps, and they're now on Beastsaber & Beatsaver. Search for yomama. If you try them out, let me know which one was your favorite and why :smiley:

Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N' Roses
    P.Y.T. by Michael Jackson
    Poker Face by Lady Gaga

Some notes -
    Welcome to the Jungle was my first song, but it has a slight variable BPM so the rhythm is not perfect in places. I only made Hard difficulty because this was my skill level in game at the time. I spent way too many hours fine tuning it and it's not 100% perfect but it's close enough now. Unfortunately I'm tired of listening to the song so I will not make an Expert level anytime soon.

P.Y.T. - Both Hard and Expert levels. I studied a few of my favorite song maps with more movement and dance moves including a few of BennyDaBeast's. My main goal was to make this song map fun, and a good workout, and not to be overly hard.

Poker Face - A friend made this as a first map, and asked me to play test and upload it. I think it's a pretty fun for a first try.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    stoked2b wrote: »
    I finally finished editing and playtesting 3 maps, and they're now on Beastsaber & Beatsaver. Search for yomama. If you try them out, let me know which one was your favorite and why :smiley:

Poker Face by Lady Gaga

Some notes -
    Welcome to the Jungle was my first song, but it has a slight variable BPM so the rhythm is not perfect in places. I only made Hard difficulty because this was my skill level in game at the time. I spent way too many hours fine tuning it and it's not 100% perfect but it's close enough now. Unfortunately I'm tired of listening to the song so I will not make an Expert level anytime soon.

P.Y.T. - Both Hard and Expert levels. I studied a few of my favorite song maps with more movement and dance moves including a few of BennyDaBeast's. My main goal was to make this song map fun, and a good workout, and not to be overly hard.

Poker Face - A friend made this as a first map, and asked me to play test and upload it. I think it's a pretty fun for a first try.

My new Oculus Quest came day before yesterday and I finally got it setup with custom songs yesterday. I downloaded Welcome to the Jungle and Poker Face. PYT didn't download for some reason.

Poker Face was a good map, but not one I would play frequently as I don't care for the song.

I thought you did an EXCELLENT job on Welcome to the Jungle and I thought it was genius how you used the walls to mimic Axle's signature side to side moves. If you ever get un-sick of the song, I'd welcome an Expert+ version.

I'll have to try to download PYT again.
  • mitch239
    mitch239 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've only heard amazing things about this game, does look amazing fun, gonna have to get a copy I think, cardio even on rain days I suppose XD. No excuses.
  • darnold87
    darnold87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Rasputin (Funk Overload) is my favorite custom track by far. The first song I beat on Expert+. I end every session with it.
  • mom23mangos
    edited January 2020
    Options
    darnold87 wrote: »
    Rasputin (Funk Overload) is my favorite custom track by far. The first song I beat on Expert+. I end every session with it.

Rasputin is a fun song. I'm currently obsessed with a electro-swing map of I Wanna Be Like You from the Jungle Book. The version of the song is great and the map if a lot of fun. It's labeled Expert+, but it plays more like Expert. There is a lot of dead space in the map which i found strange at first until I figured it was the perfect place to put your own dance moves or squat or whatnot to up the cardio level.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Poker Face by Lady Gaga

Some notes -

My new Oculus Quest came day before yesterday and I finally got it setup with custom songs yesterday. I downloaded Welcome to the Jungle and Poker Face. PYT didn't download for some reason.

Poker Face was a good map, but not one I would play frequently as I don't care for the song.

I thought you did an EXCELLENT job on Welcome to the Jungle and I thought it was genius how you used the walls to mimic Axle's signature side to side moves. If you ever get un-sick of the song, I'd welcome an Expert+ version.

How does the Quest compare to the CV1? I sold my CV1 because of all the cables.
  • mom23mangos
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I haven't had much play time in it to really compare, but first impressions:

Pros - no cables!!! This is hugely beneficial to games like Vader Immortal where you have 360deg action (new beat saber maps too). You can easily take it anywhere. Play with your friends and family, lunch breaks at work (yes, I'm tempted). Better graphics - It's much, much clearer.

Cons - not as much feedback on the controllers. For example, playing beat saber I can barely "feel" when I cut the blocks. Controllers are weighted strange and it's hard to find the right hand position if you drop them. The face mask is HEAVY and slips. I ordered some knuckle grips and tied a counterweight to the back of the headset to help with the slippage. It worked, but make playing difficult with an additional 5lbs hanging off the back of my head. I just watched a video about adjusting the straps correctly and I'm going to see if that helps. Otherwise, I'll probably order a new strap designed to hold it in place better.

Edit - the Quest also has the awesome pass through camera. You setup the guardian perimeter by actually viewing your room and outlining the play area with your controller. If you pass through the perimeter, the camera flashes you a view of the room.
  • darnold87
    Options
    LvlUpStr wrote: »

Poker Face by Lady Gaga

Some notes -

How does the Quest compare to the CV1? I sold my CV1 because of all the cables.

I have both a Quest and a Rift. I haven't used my Rift since the day I got my Quest. The speed at which you can set it up and the improvements to tracking have made the Rift obsolete. If you are coming from CV1, the relative improvement will only be greater.
  • stoked2b
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @mom23mangos Thanks for trying out the maps. Of the 3, Welcome to the Jungle map has now been downloaded 5,700 times with 71 upvotes which blows away the others. I figured out only the Steam version can leave upvotes. None of the Oculus models including Quest supports the voting mod. I'm actually thinking next on my list might be Sweet Child of Mine & Paradise City. I'll make sure to have an Expert version but not sure about Expert+.

Quest mods -I got a silicone face mask to prevent sweat from getting on the cloth face. I also ordered a 3d-printed headband on Etsy which puts a little more weight on top of the head instead of your face. I will probably do a counterweight at some point too. On the reddit for OculusQuest, a popular option is to a put a 10000 mAh portable charger back there and the Quest battery lasts for 5+ hours!

Unfortunately the left controller vibrations stopped working so I contacted support and they asked me to RMA it. I should have returned it to the store but they were out of stock for replacements. So I RMA'd it in and now I'm afraid we will be stuck for weeks not being able to play. Beat Saber one handed gets kind of old fast.
  • MonaLisainCT
    MonaLisainCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anything like this, it looks like so much fun! Any idea how much it'd cost a newbie to get started?
  • stoked2b
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I've never seen anything like this, it looks like so much fun! Any idea how much it'd cost a newbie to get started?

Beat Saber is available on the following platforms:

PlayStation VR - $599 maybe? but cannot be modified to play custom maps and songs
    HTC Vive - $499 but requires a PC with minimum specs (an $800+ gaming PC)
    Oculus Rift S - $399 but requires a PC with minimum specs (an $800+ gaming PC)
    Oculus Quest - $399 for the 64GB model, standalone does not require a gaming PC. (but optionally can be connected via Oculus Link)

• darnold87
    Options

Beat Saber is available on the following platforms:

PlayStation VR - $599 maybe? but cannot be modified to play custom maps and songs
    HTC Vive - $499 but requires a PC with minimum specs (a gaming PC)
    Oculus Rift S - $399 but requires a PC with minimum specs (a gaming PC)
    Oculus Quest - $399 for the 64GB model, standalone does not require a gaming PC. (but optionally can be connected via Oculus Link)

$29.99+tax for Beat Saber
    $13+tax for silicone face masks (I also highly recommend these for beat saber)
  • stoked2b
    Options
    Hello all, I just published a new map Dua Lipa - Physical in both Hard & Expert. I originally wanted to do Don't Start Now but someone has already released it.

https://bsaber.com/songs/8570/

If you have the Steam version give me a thumbs up if you liked it.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Hello all, I just published a new map Dua Lipa - Physical in both Hard & Expert. I originally wanted to do Don't Start Now but someone has already released it.

I’ll take a look. I loved the map of Don’t Start Now.
  • stoked2b
    Options
    I loved the map of Don’t Start Now.

Haha, I'm still working on my skill level and can do most Expert songs. But for some reason I'm finding this one mapped by Ryger as one of the hardest Expert map I've done. I still haven't finished it.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    I loved the map of Don’t Start Now.

Haha, I'm still working on my skill level and can do most Expert songs. But for some reason I'm finding this one mapped by Ryger as one of the hardest Expert map I've done. I still haven't finished it.

That’s OK. My personal nemesis is still The Ultimate Showdown. One year later I still can’t beat it. I get literally 3 seconds from the end and die. I’m terrible at wristy maps.
  • mom23mangos
    Options

You got me at the very end!! Nice map man! Very enjoyable.

840/841
    836 max combo
    686,276 score
    S rank. (That one miss killed my SS)
  • stoked2b
    Options
    Woohoo! Today I beat Don't Start Now on Expert. I figured out my main issue was the alternating diagonal blocks, using large arm and shoulder movements quickly is not as easy when you're older :smile: I practiced the song by keeping elbows attached to my side and let my forearms and wrists hit those blocks, and then I beat it on the next try.

I still prefer easier Expert dance-style maps because then you can move a lot without missing notes, but still burn a lot of calories!

@mom23mangos I listened to your nemesis The Ultimate Showdown and I've never heard it before. Sounds like a really crazy song! I will give it a try sometime
  • Delilahloo
    Delilahloo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My son took his Vive and computer back to college. I got a bit hooked on beat saber during the Christmas break. My favorite was Hotel California! (and Gangnam Style and Beat it!)Am considering getting a Oculus just to play some more. This thread makes me want to do so for sure!