Beat Saber

Options

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    stoked2b wrote: »
    Woohoo! Today I beat Don't Start Now on Expert. I figured out my main issue was the alternating diagonal blocks, using large arm and shoulder movements quickly is not as easy when you're older :smile: I practiced the song by keeping elbows attached to my side and let my forearms and wrists hit those blocks, and then I beat it on the next try.

I still prefer easier Expert dance-style maps because then you can move a lot without missing notes, but still burn a lot of calories!

@mom23mangos I listened to your nemesis The Ultimate Showdown and I've never heard it before. Sounds like a really crazy song! I will give it a try sometime

:D This is what my son and I call playing in T-rex mode. LOL I have to agree with you. Although I can play most songs at an S level on Expert+, I actually get more enjoyment out of Expert level songs because it allows for larger arm swims and more dance-ability. Many, many Expert+ songs are extremely wristy.

I meant to tell you to that there is another version of Don't Start Now by Toga that IMO is far more enjoyable. They are both great maps, but the other one is on the easier side of Expert and larger movements/more danceable.

The version of The Ultimate Showdown is the one by thecomputerizer. The song is hilarious. I think it's the only reason I can keep going back to it so many times. I haven't even attempted it on the Quest yet. It's just so disheartening to get within 3s of the end and die.

Have you played Benny's map of What you Know by Two Door Cinema Club? That was my first nemesis. I just could not wrap my head around the pattern. But once you get it, it is probably the funnest song on there. And once you can play it on Expert, the Expert+ version is no problem.
    Delilahloo wrote: »
    My son took his Vive and computer back to college. I got a bit hooked on beat saber during the Christmas break. My favorite was Hotel California! (and Gangnam Style and Beat it!)Am considering getting a Oculus just to play some more. This thread makes me want to do so for sure!

Dooooooo eeeeeeet! You will not regret it. If you think of it as a piece of exercise equipment, the price isn't bad. Way cheaper than a treadmill, rower, etc. And WAY more portable. You can take it with you anywhere. It packs into a small makeup case size.
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Wow my last map was "Curator Recommended" and now it's on the front page of bsaber.com. Cool! B)

Thanks for the song suggestions. I will try them all!
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    @stoked2b 👏👏👏👏👏 Well deserved!

I’ve been wishing someone would do one of Only Human by the Jonas Brothers.
  • stoked2b
    Options
    I’ve been wishing someone would do one of Only Human by the Jonas Brothers.

Challenge accepted :D

Good song, and I had no idea it wasn't already mapped. It might be at least a week though because I'll be driving and downhill skiing all weekend, so maybe I can start on it next week.
  • stoked2b
    Options
    New map release on bsaber: Jonas Brothers - Only Human
  • mom23mangos
    Options

🤗 Can’t waif you try it!!! I’m on my way to Budapest right now, but look forward to testing it out as soon as I get back. I was VERY tempted to take my Quest with me
  • Delilahloo
    Delilahloo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Decided to go for it and order a Quest and they aren't available anywhere! Hopefully they will become available again soon.
  • stoked2b
    Options
    I know Oculus Quest was a hot item at Christmas, but apparently Half-Life Alyx releases in March and is keeping demand pretty high. I got mine on Black Friday online before demand surged.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Decided to go for it and order a Quest and they aren't available anywhere! Hopefully they will become available again soon.

Did you try Amazon? They were the only ones in stock when I bought mine.
  • stoked2b
    Options
    Today’s Beat Saber session for 1hr 2 mins, 739 calories burned according to Fitbit. Down 7 lbs since January 1. B)
  • Delilahloo
    Options

Did you try Amazon? They were the only ones in stock when I bought mine. [/quote]

Yes - they were all out! (except for really expensive after market sellers.) But finally found one online at GameStop and it's on it's way! So excited! Hopefully I can figure out how to add some of the other song/maps!
  • mom23mangos
    Options

🤗 Can’t waif you try it!!! I’m on my way to Budapest right now, but look forward to testing it out as soon as I get back. I was VERY tempted to take my Quest with me

I was reunited with my Quest yesterday and had the opportunity to download Only Human. What fun! You did a FANTASTIC job again. I loved it. You are going to be the new Benny! Keep it up!
  • stoked2b
    edited February 2020
    Options
    You are going to be the new Benny!

@mom23mangos LOL. Glad you liked it. I started out by studying what Benny did on the songs I liked and borrowed a few of his patterns. His maps are not as "wristy" as others which I also like. I watched his tutorials on YT and I can tell the guy is very talented and has both musical and artistic ability. Just by emulating Benny I think my maps turn out pretty good! It also helps that I play guitar and piano and have a very musical family so the rhythm and transcribing comes fairly natural.

This was my 4th map, and I am progressively making my maps a little more challenging on Expert as my own skill level increases. Only Human has a lot of patterns I use in my previous maps, but I also studied Ryger's Don't Start Now (my bane for a while) and used a few pattern ideas from him as well to make my map more difficult. I also increased the note speed (as they fly toward you) and it's a tad faster than my other maps but still fair.

I did try out What you Know by Two Door Cinema Club and finished it on both Expert and Expert+. I've conquered many slower songs on Expert+ but avoid the fast paced Expert+ songs because I'd rather have fun than test my wrist speed. It's amazing to me that in about two months of playing I can practically beat anything on Expert the first time.

Not sure what I will do for my next map. I started working on the timing of Guns N' Roses Sweet Child of Mine, but it has variable BPM and will take me a while just to line the song up. It will probably take me at least twice as long as a more recent song would. Also Majorpickle just released Paradise City so I can check that one off my list.
  • stoked2b
    Options
    @Delilahloo Quest is back in stock at the official site https://www.oculus.com/quest/
  • Delilahloo
    Options
    @Delilahloo Quest is back in stock at the official site https://www.oculus.com/quest/

thanks! actually got mine two days ago! yay! Still trying to make it comfortable, though! My son's vive was much lighter! Having fun with Beat Saber so far anyway, though.
  • stoked2b
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @Delilahloo I have been following the OculusQuest subreddit for ideas on comfort. I've tried 2 ideas that seem to work good for me but others have gone really far to the point they name it "FrankenQuest" due to all the Frankenstein modifications they've done.

The first thing I did is get a Oculus Quest Comfort Head Strap from a store on etsy.com. This seems to help shift a little of the weight to the top front of your head and forehead instead of pressing so hard around your eyes and face.

The second thing I tried is a counterweight on the back. Some people have used a roll of coins, batteries, or small charging banks. I bought a Anker PowerCore 10000 PD Redux when they went on sale for $28 and as an added bonus it keeps the Quest charged while playing and I think it can go 5+ hours on Beat Saber.

I'm content with the head strap and counterweight for now and I think they both alleviate pressure from the face and eyes, and I don't think I need to go any further.

I believe the FrankenQuest is the ultimate comfort mod. From what I understand, Quest owners are buying the $99 Vive Deluxe Audio Strap (DAS) and also buying some custom 3D printed attachment devices and replacing the stock Quest streps with the DAS.

• stoked2b
    Options
    I also got a silicone face mask because Beat Saber makes my face and head sweat. I don't want it to get absorbed the Quest's cloth face cover.
  • Delilahloo
    Options
    @stoked2b - thanks! I connected a weight from my weight vest to the back and that helped quite a bit, I might also order a head strap, but right now it's doing okay. Took me hours, but finally figured out how get other songs on my account last night - today's task is to look for yours! I'm having so much fun, so glad I decided to go ahead and get one!
  • MonaLisainCT
    MonaLisainCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Decided to splurge and buy a Quest for myself as a birthday gift to me. Kept a daily eye on the site, because they (and everywhere else!) were out of stock, I guess because supply is being interrupted over Covid-19. But finally, I managed to order and it came Friday morning.
    But it doesn't work! I can pair the headset to my phone, but the display just blinks on and off. I got as far as the green circle that's meant to let you adjust the pupil-distance setting, but that's it.
    Spent the weekend dealing with Oculus support. :(
    So. Frustrating!
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    That's awful @MonaLisainCT !