Have you ever wanted to hit "RESET"?

Options

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options

My introspective ramblings will be confined and rare...I promise! ;)

I like going down to the roots and pulling the root rot out. I'd rather have someone fly the plane than hit the snooze button and take a nap. That triggered Denzel W. in the movie Flight.

02FLIGHT-superJumbo-v3.jpg.
  • acnoyes
    acnoyes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »

I like going down to the roots and pulling the root rot out. I'd rather have someone fly the plane than hit the snooze button and take a nap. That triggered Denzel W. in the movie Flight.

02FLIGHT-superJumbo-v3.jpg.

Love it! 👍🏻
  • R3d_butt3rfly
    R3d_butt3rfly Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't but I'm also a firm believer in Destiny. I know I'm on the minority on this but all my pain, mistakes, regrets I've endured so far, has shaped me to be the person I am at this particular point in my life.
  • acnoyes
    edited July 2018
    Options
    It’s not alway so simple as changing mistakes we have made. For some of us, there have been really horrible circumstances in our life that were well beyond our control. Having the option to go back and avoid them is very very tempting. Again though, you do have to worry about the butterfly effect. Without going into great detail about my whole life, I can tell you I have experienced some very horrible things. The start of which was when my soul mate and then fiancé complained about head aches. I often think if I had forced him to go to the doctor and pushed a little harder on the subject maybe he wouldn’t have waited so long. Maybe we wouldn’t have found out when he was terminal that it was too late. Maybe that beautiful person wouldn’t have left this world at 22 years old, and everything else spiraling down with it. I try to comfort myself into believing that he’s in a better place. That he is out of pain. The what if’s loom over my head though, and probably always will.

@AmberGlitterSparkles Your experience is heart rending. It seems like although you may still deal with the effects of it, you are living and growing. My opinion is that you honor his memory by having gone through the worst of everything around the loss of him physically and still choose to step forward in some positive direction each day.

A virtual hug is all I can offer, but I mean it.
  • Breezybreeze7
    Breezybreeze7 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    My high school years were one of the worst years of my life but I learned from it and it makes me who I am.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    I would erase or reset from ages 8-12. Id be curious where i would be if that was erased.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Have some regrets that I’d like a reset or do over on. But that’s not gonna happen. So I learn from my screw ups, make amends, and proceed on striving to be better.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    acnoyes wrote: »

FWIW i find it fascinating.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    LuAtThTh wrote: »
    Nope.. without all the bad I wouldn't be me and wouldn't have learnt to appreciate so many things.

We also don't have a reset button. Coming around to this mindset can be a life-affirming step that affords you some internal peace.

All of your posts are insightful and demonstrate a strength of mind and character that is impressive.

I picked this quote thread because it allows me to comment on the reasoning behind why I wrote this last night.

I think that in our lives, and clearly we have all had incredibly diverse life experiences that have made us who each of us are, we fall into patterns that were created based on decisions and actions we knew and saw and did growing up. Breaking a pattern takes incredible strength and commitment to character. In the context of this group, a lot of us focus on diet, or weight, or motivation, or any of a number of other health or fitness related topics as part of which we fight to change or fight to reinforce patterns.

The things I would "reset" or change if I had the opportunity to are not focused on me, in a way, but more on how I've impacted others in my life. With all of the challenges and opportunities I've had over the course of my life to date I have been incredibly blessed. But, along the way I have done things that I can honestly look back on and not be proud of. I realize that the impact of some of my decisions had on others was at the very least unkind and at worst incredibly hurtful.

Those are things that I dwell on sometimes and find late at night I can't shake. I believe I'm a better person now being able to look back on all of that and not repeat my errors going forward, but to the point that @Teamleslie and @4legsRbetterthan2 made above, what kind of butterfly effect had I created then for others that impacted them in lasting ways?

Anyway - thanks for the comments! You are a group of incredible people and I am grateful for all of you.

I hope not, it's nice to read some genuine thought provoking posts. ☺ Carry on sir 👍
  • acnoyes
    Options
    Nope.. without all the bad I wouldn't be me and wouldn't have learnt to appreciate so many things.

We also don't have a reset button. Coming around to this mindset can be a life-affirming step that affords you some internal peace.

All of your posts are insightful and demonstrate a strength of mind and character that is impressive.

I picked this quote thread because it allows me to comment on the reasoning behind why I wrote this last night.

I think that in our lives, and clearly we have all had incredibly diverse life experiences that have made us who each of us are, we fall into patterns that were created based on decisions and actions we knew and saw and did growing up. Breaking a pattern takes incredible strength and commitment to character. In the context of this group, a lot of us focus on diet, or weight, or motivation, or any of a number of other health or fitness related topics as part of which we fight to change or fight to reinforce patterns.

The things I would "reset" or change if I had the opportunity to are not focused on me, in a way, but more on how I've impacted others in my life. With all of the challenges and opportunities I've had over the course of my life to date I have been incredibly blessed. But, along the way I have done things that I can honestly look back on and not be proud of. I realize that the impact of some of my decisions had on others was at the very least unkind and at worst incredibly hurtful.

Those are things that I dwell on sometimes and find late at night I can't shake. I believe I'm a better person now being able to look back on all of that and not repeat my errors going forward, but to the point that @Teamleslie and @4legsRbetterthan2 made above, what kind of butterfly effect had I created then for others that impacted them in lasting ways?

Anyway - thanks for the comments! You are a group of incredible people and I am grateful for all of you.

I hope not, it's nice to read some genuine thought provoking posts. ☺ Carry on sir 👍

LOL! It seems most posts are more light-hearted in this forum...I don't necessarily want to become "that emo guy", but where else but a place like this can such a wide variety of perspectives and experiences be brought together?

I truly appreciate everyone who chose to share! The comments and stories helped me work through my own thoughts immensely and I can't thank you all enough for that!
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

LOL! It seems most posts are more light-hearted in this forum...I don't necessarily want to become "that emo guy", but where else but a place like this can such a wide variety of perspectives and experiences be brought together?

I truly appreciate everyone who chose to share! The comments and stories helped me work through my own thoughts immensely and I can't thank you all enough for that!

I’m guilty of being too light sometimes but one thing I wondered as I read through the comments.. well, some of the people who say they wouldn’t reset anything also seem really unhappy with their lives in their posts. So does this shed some perspective that enables them to dispatch with the negativity and just be happy with where they’re at? Or is that a default setting that has to be actively rewired?

I don’t know how to ask this without sounding rude but I’m truly just curious from a brain plasticity perspective.

Edited for wording
  • acnoyes
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

I’m guilty of being too light sometimes but one thing I wondered as I read through the comments.. well, some of the people who say they wouldn’t reset anything also seem really unhappy with their lives in their posts. So does this shed some perspective that enables them to dispatch with the negativity and just be happy with where they’re at? Or is that a default setting that has to be actively rewired?

I don’t know how to ask this without sounding rude but I’m truly just curious from a brain plasticity perspective.

Edited for wording

Very interesting question @caco_ethes.

I have some thoughts on the brain function aspect, but I'd love to hear other people's answers to your question first.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

Edited for wording

Very interesting question @caco_ethes.

I have some thoughts on the brain function aspect, but I'd love to hear other people's answers to your question first.

I think its an active approach to both. You have to make a conscious effort to choose a more positive approach or thought process. But at the same time that takes some rewiring....through therapy, self reflection, meditation, exercise...just a thought.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ahmygerd stop tagging meeeeee

And I got nothing, gonna have to think on this one.