BEST DIET

Options
13»

Replies

• juliemargaretkim
    juliemargaretkim Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I offer this link from the "Eat to Live" diet? Really, this is how my husband and I started eating a few years ago, we each lost the weight we wanted to, and now we choose to eat like this because, well, we're old (older -- we're in our 60s), and this helps us feel great! Neither of us are on medications of any type, we both do power yoga 3-4 times per week (Baptiste yoga -- it's done in 92 degrees, so we sweat it all out in addition to strengthening and toning and stetching-- great for the stomach-midriff section btw -- you can't do yoga without a strong core, and that means working the abs!) and, well, we like it. We also like ice cream and wine. I am loving that Halo pistachio ice cream, and a daily glass of Cabernet keeps the doctor away (I hope!) lol!

https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/eat-to-live-blog/90/dr-fuhrmans-nutritarian-pyramid
  • tobybear72
    tobybear72 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I didn't mean to start an argument. I just wanted to know the best way to lose weight. I am 64 and it's harder so just wanted to start getting myself going again.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    tobybear72 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I didn't mean to start an argument. I just wanted to know the best way to lose weight. I am 64 and it's harder so just wanted to start getting myself going again.

No need to apologize. We do this all the time! :lol:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    tobybear72 wrote: »

A lot of threads turn into arguments. :laugh: Welcome to the forums.

The best diet is the one you can stick to long term while achieving your goals and not feeling deprived. I know, vague answer.

My suggestion would be to spend a week logging what you eat now and then make small changes based on that. See where the bulk of your calories are coming from and decide if you can cut back on some of these items. It takes time, but no one can really say what will be best FOR YOU.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Sugars are Carbs and to much of it is not good you are better of working with veggies and fruits keep you full and to not have the sweet cravings because u are full but then making sure you stay within your calorie budget "don't over do on fruits either". It will come off, just have to balance out your MACROS to have plenty of Carbs, Fats and Protein.
    Even if you set ur goal to maintain and keep to your weight as your goal in your MFP Goals you will realize that you have been overeating on calories and then switch it up to start slowly loosing weight per week. And you will actual realize that you are already loosing weight even before you change the setting in you MFP Goals. Diets are just going to not work.

I'm having a really hard time understanding what you are saying here. Let me see if I can parse it out.

Sugars are carbs, yes - but so are fruits and vegetables. Doesn't matter whether the sugar is in an apple, carrot, or cookie - the body processes the sugar the same way.
    Too much of any food is not good if it puts you over your calorie alotment for the day and crowds out other nutritional sources.
    I believe in balanced macros but people can lose weight and be healthy eating a wide variety of macro splits. It's again, calories that matter for weight management.
    Agree that accurate tracking of intake is important. Ideally using a food scale to weigh all solid foods - this is the best way to ensure that you are truly in a calorie deficit.
    I don't really like the concept of a short term "diet" that restricts foods that a person doesn't plan to restrict forever, but any approach that provides a sustained calorie deficit over time and then enables a person to transition into an appropriate maintenance plan is going to be successful - whether you call it diet or not is up to the individual.