Hyphenated-Americans

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Again...

The only statement that I made was that the earliest evidence that they found came out of Africa... that is a fact and that is what science states.

"Just because the earliest resemblance of a human fossil was found in Africa, doesn't mean that is the only place where they existed at that time. It just means that conditions there were best for the preservation of 150,000 year old skull. "

your statement here seems like you were trying to say that humans existed elsewhere.

skulls have been preserved all over the world...so far it seems the fossil record supports that we all came from Africa.

right now we believe the water on earth got here by comets....of course it could have been a giant alien tanker ship with a big hose....
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Again...

The only statement that I made was that the earliest evidence that they found came out of Africa... that is a fact and that is what science states.

"Just because the earliest resemblance of a human fossil was found in Africa, doesn't mean that is the only place where they existed at that time. It just means that conditions there were best for the preservation of 150,000 year old skull. "

your statement here seems like you were trying to say that humans existed elsewhere.

skulls have been preserved all over the world...so far it seems the fossil record supports that we all came from Africa.

right now we believe the water on earth got here by comets....of course it could have been a giant alien tanker ship with a big hose....

My statement there says that they could have existed elsewhere, which has not been completely ruled out by science.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Interesting thread. We adopted a daughter from China and have spoken with her about our ancestry and hers and how she would like to describe herself (i.e., Chinese-American or how). She nailed it with "Dad, I'm half Chinese but I'm all-American!" Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    ok, well i don't think hyphenating is stupid.

if your white, your prob not getting discriminated against very much, and in the eyes of almost everyone, which part of europe your from doesn't matter.

but america is very racist, race matters. your race and heritage is a huge part of your identity. i think it's very understandable that many visible minorities would want to hyphenate.

And presumably labelling people of Caribbean descent who can go back many generations of ancestors who've never been anywhere near Africa as "African-Americans" because they're black and consequently might be African so we'll just make that assumption is a valid solution against racism?

I don't understand your point. I didn't say it was a "solution" to racism, I said since racism is so pervasive, a person of visible minority may understandably make their heritage part of their ancestry, since they are gonna be judged by it every day anyway. Not that much of a stretch lol.

Also, still not getting why people are making a distinction between being Black and having African ancestors. Do people not realize that all Black people have African ancestors?

So we are all racists, and there is no solution, so let's maintain racial prejudices in our language? Is that really what you are trying to say?

the solution is, remove the systematic economic, political, and educational barriers that entrench racism. also, pop stars.

Agreed! :flowerforyou:
  • Laces_0ut
    Again...

My statement there says that they could have existed elsewhere, which has not been completely ruled out by science.

and earth could have been filled up by a giant alien water truck, which has not been completely ruled out by science.
  • So much blah, blah, blah, blah in this thread. Who gives a flying chimpanzee where you are from.
    You silly Americans and your labels. At the end of the day, everyone is human.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    ok, well i don't think hyphenating is stupid.

if your white, your prob not getting discriminated against very much, and in the eyes of almost everyone, which part of europe your from doesn't matter.

but america is very racist, race matters. your race and heritage is a huge part of your identity. i think it's very understandable that many visible minorities would want to hyphenate.

^^ Very prejudiced statement to make. :angry:

I don't want to hyphenate. I'm a visible minority, I just want to say American or better yet, not be asked on paper EVER and in person seldom only if it mattered like I were dying the ambulance came and it had something to do with odds of blood type or some *kitten* like that, otherwise just stare at my brown *kitten* all you want but leave me the hell alone.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Ethnicity is really only important to census-takers and policy-makers.

To the world, you're just American.

Oh if only that were true :drinker:
    As in this has not been my experience.

So people from other countries insist on labeling you? Really?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I personally think the hyphenation only really applies for one generation, mayyyybe two. My grandparents were Irish-Americans, but I'm just American, with Irish heritage.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    I feel as if sometimes people care a little *too much* about your background. For example, I'm Hispanic, and I have people ask me where I'm from all of the time. When I tell them I'm *from* Florida, they follow up with "but where are you REALLY from?" :huh:

I know where my parents were born, but I do not identify with their heritage. Quite honestly, they do not much either, so it sort of annoys me sometimes that people want to try and pry information about a country that we don't really think much about.

Me too, on the first bit!

I grew up with Cuban -and- American Culture, and I identify with both. However, I always say "I'm American, and I'm from Florida." Though, sometimes I hesitate because I never stayed in one state or one country for more than 1-3 years growing up, so I identify with -many- cultures and places, too! It's just easier to say I'm from Florida because I always end up back here and then I don't have to talk about my traveling for half an hour. (A little bashful about it!)
  • Laces_0ut
    I personally think the hyphenation only really applies for one generation, mayyyybe two. My grandparents were Irish-Americans, but I'm just American, with Irish heritage.

if you moved here from another country i get the hyphen. if i moved to China i wouldn't call myself Chinese.
  • MoreBean13

if you moved here from another country i get the hyphen. if i moved to China i wouldn't call myself Chinese.

Good point. What if you naturalized to China? IDK how I would refer to myself if I naturalized to another country, probably an american ex-pat.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    My dad is egyptian(Nubian) and my mom is black American. Typically I refer to myself as American or black however I doesn't bother me when people say African or Afro American ----heck I even I had a old guy call me woman of color American.
  • Jarice12
    Jarice12 Posts: 135 Member
    She said by the way I speak, "proper", she would have never guessed I was "Black". And our on-going joke is "Really? I don't know what gave you the impression that I'm Black. I think it's my lovely tan."

I'm still stuck on this^^^. It amazes me that people still think that if you speak properly or use grammar correctly that you must be something other than black. But ok, all labels should be done away with promptly. I've never been to Africa nor do I know any decedent of mine who has. My great great grandmother was Cherokee, but I don't identify as an indian. Show me a pure bloodline. I'm American.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I feel as if sometimes people care a little *too much* about your background. For example, I'm Hispanic, and I have people ask me where I'm from all of the time. When I tell them I'm *from* Florida, they follow up with "but where are you REALLY from?" :huh:

I know where my parents were born, but I do not identify with their heritage. Quite honestly, they do not much either, so it sort of annoys me sometimes that people want to try and pry information about a country that we don't really think much about.

Me too, on the first bit!

I grew up with Cuban -and- American Culture, and I identify with both. However, I always say "I'm American, and I'm from Florida." Though, sometimes I hesitate because I never stayed in one state or one country for more than 1-3 years growing up, so I identify with -many- cultures and places, too! It's just easier to say I'm from Florida because I always end up back here and then I don't have to talk about my traveling for half an hour. (A little bashful about it!)

LOL!! I worked in Animal Hospitals for years. While assisting in the amputation of an Iguana's tail, conversation goes like this:

Doctor: hey, look at that meaty tail (winging the amputated appendage around like a turkey leg, it was his iguana, but whatever)
    Don't they eat Iguana where you're from?

Me: Queens?...nah. :laugh:
  • SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    My dad is egyptian(Nubian) and my mom is black American. Typically I refer to myself as American or black however I doesn't bother me when people say African or Afro American ----heck I even I had a old guy call me woman of color American.

This made my day... A woman of color american? That's a mouthful! LOL.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member

But to be snarky, on the demographic questionaires if it says "caucasian" I will check other and put "European-American" as I am a European Mutt (but mostly Anglo-Saxon-Jute) born and raised in American (5th generation).

Haha.. ME TOO! I'm not from Caucasia!
  • SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    Even though I am black, I am American. Plain and simple.

I was born here. My family's roots have been here for generations, therefore, i'm just as American as anyone else.

I will never bother to hyphenate myself. I am the country I live in AND identify with, no matter what shade.
  • MoreBean13

But to be snarky, on the demographic questionaires if it says "caucasian" I will check other and put "European-American" as I am a European Mutt (but mostly Anglo-Saxon-Jute) born and raised in American (5th generation).

Haha.. ME TOO! I'm not from Caucasia!

I don't understand that at all. Caucasian by definition means:
    Cau·ca·sian
    adjective /kôˈkāZHən/ 

Of or relating to one of the traditional divisions of humankind, covering a broad group of peoples from Europe, western Asia, and parts of India and North Africa

White-skinned; of European origin

in terms of those demographic questions.
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    This issue comes up kinda regularly in my family well I must be more specifically my husbands side of the family. I am american I have done quite a bit of exploring in to my genealogy and I from both sides of my family has been in America for hundreds of years. My husband was born in Mexico but has lived here since he was a baby and feels as american as I do. So, our three children are mixed, and every time they visit their grandparents or cousins (who were all born here) they tell them they are Mexican, and this bothers me because they weren't born there or ever even visited Mexico. I tell them they are all American but there family heritage is from Mexico but they are American and so are they cousins. And our Niece always says I am the only American in their family, but that isn't true. Maybe I am just too sensitive about this but I feel she is trying to separate me from the family because I am white and it drives me nuts. American is American I don't wait my children to think they are any different or having to say I am Mexican-American, The only thing they know about Mexico is they understand a bit of Spanish from listening to their grandparents, and their grandmothers cooking. And PLEASE don't misunderstand me I want them to know their Heritage but from both sides. Another, thing that drives me nuts is the Race section of forms why is Hispanic its own section?