Hyphenated-Americans

Options
KelleyGirl74
KelleyGirl74 Posts: 182 Member
Good afternoon everyone,

I'm in school. Currently taking a composition class. Our class project is to write a research paper. I would love to get the opinions of as many of you as I can. Here is the topic:

Mixed racial and cultural groups are growing in the United States. Should each group expect to be treated as a separate entity, or should residents of the United States be considered Americans without the hyphen?

I'm American. The politically correct term for me would be "African-American". However, personally, I have never done my ancestry on my father's side to know exactly if we are "Black" or of "African" descent. But I do know that my mother is White and Cherokee. Thus, leading me to review my thoughts on this and say so, I'm White-Cherokee-African-American? That seems a bit much for my tastes.

I don't identify with either side of my heritage more than the other. I have a friend who, before we were friends and had only spoken on the phone, said she was really shocked when she saw me for the first time. She said by the way I speak, "proper", she would have never guessed I was "Black". And our on-going joke is "Really? I don't know what gave you the impression that I'm Black. I think it's my lovely tan."

Anyway, my first question is American the only hyphenated country? Do the British say "African-British" or "Indian-British" or the Africans say "American-African" or "British-African"? You follow me on this?

Secondly, what is your take? If you wish you can inbox me or post it here. Please tell me the country you are in and/or your nationality if you wish to share it.

Thanks for your input. Have a healthy day!

Namaste,
Nika

Replies

• miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm American!! I generally don't refer to myself as an Irish-Scottish-Cree-Dutch-American. That would take too long. Nor do I refer to my friends by their ethnicity. And honestly, most of the time, I don't know my friends ethnicity.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    Since of lot of scientist believe people originated in Africa, I guess that would make all Americans, African-American...

I agree that no one should be hyphenated, unless they personally immigrated here from another country and then became citizens. Otherwise we would all be hyphenated...

just my 2 cents :drinker:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    As an American, I don't use hyphenated labels. Mostly because I feel like all Americans either born or naturalized are Americans. If I must describe descent I say "An American of Asian descent" or "Hispanic descent", etc. But unless a person has dual citizenship and I know it, I'm not going to use hyphenated names. I also feel that hyphenated names give people a way to segregate themselves or others from each other and instead of things being an American problem it's a particular groups problem... even though the problem may exist across all ethnic backgrounds.

But to be snarky, on the demographic questionaires if it says "caucasian" I will check other and put "European-American" as I am a European Mutt (but mostly Anglo-Saxon-Jute) born and raised in American (5th generation).
  • iTrainHARD
    Options
    I feel as if sometimes people care a little *too much* about your background. For example, I'm Hispanic, and I have people ask me where I'm from all of the time. When I tell them I'm *from* Florida, they follow up with "but where are you REALLY from?" :huh:

I know where my parents were born, but I do not identify with their heritage. Quite honestly, they do not much either, so it sort of annoys me sometimes that people want to try and pry information about a country that we don't really think much about.
  • KelleyGirl74
    Options
    I'm American!! I generally don't refer to myself as an Irish-Scottish-Cree-Dutch-American. That would take too long. Nor do I refer to my friends by their ethnicity. And honestly, most of the time, I don't know my friends ethnicity.

This is my point exactly, I'm not "technically" African. Do I have Africans in my heritage??? Heck if I know, but I just might. I don't doubt it being born and raised in America.

Thanks for the response so far. Please please, keep it coming. I need to feedback.
    UK here. I don't think it's as common oved here. I'm Scottish. I do also refer to myself as British or a Scottish Brit, but yeah, just Scottish normally. Please don't refer to me as English, nothing against the English, my husband is English, but still, just don't, same as referring to the whole of the UK as England, it's annoying. :)

I met my first Scotty or Scott or Scottish, back around the holidays (Xmas). I pegged his accent coming in the door. He was really nice and I just made a ton of conversation with him because I love the accent.

Thank you for that clarification. I get confused with the splitting of countries and such. I have been known to do that with the UK and England. I usually throw, "I think", on there cause I'm not sure.

Nika
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Anyway, my first question is American the only hyphenated country? Do the British say "African-British" or "Indian-British" or the Africans say "American-African" or "British-African"? You follow me on this?

Namaste,
    Nika
    Some people in the UK would define themselves as British Asian (generally of South Asian origin, not the Far East) but it's not really a "thing" for British people of other ethnicities. We don't really do the ethnic hyphenating thing you guys do in the US. People just tend to be British, and don't specifiy if they have ancestry from say Italy, or Germany. I've always found it strange to hear Americans say things like "I'm Irish" or "I'm Italian", when referring to their ancestry. To me, "I'm Italian" means that you come from Italy. I can understand why, looking at the different histories of the US and UK, but it's just always sounded weird to me.

The English-Scottish-Irish-Welsh vs British thing is a whole other issue and to do with national identity rather than ethinicity. It varies widely, but in my experience, English people are a little more likely to identify as "British" whereas people from Scotland etc are more likely to identify as "Scottish" etc.
  • KelleyGirl74
    Options
    For example, I'm Hispanic, and I have people ask me where I'm from all of the time. When I tell them I'm *from* Florida, they follow up with "but where are you REALLY from?" :huh:

Wow REally??? People are just rude.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This thread is reminding me of the TV show Greg the Bunny with the puppets and humans living/working side by side. In one episode the puppets referred to themselves as "fabricated Americans," which really cracked me up.

The whole notion of 5th and 6th generation Americans insisting on being called xxxx-Americans is really silly and needs to stop. I agree with the comment from the person who said "American of Irish descent" or whatever, if someone is THAT determined to learn your family tree. Part of America's problem today is the constant push to label and separate people through quotas and affirmative action programs that help no one and have the opposite effect of their good intentions.

OP, Bill Cosby had a great speech on this subject recently, if you want to look that up for your research.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Well I'm white/caucasian. I'm American, born and raised in Missouri. If I had to hyphenate my heritage. I am Irish-Scotish-German-French-Cherokee-American. very long since I'm a mut, lol My best friend in high school nick named me as "an Irish-Nazzi" lmao! Yes, I think its stupid to try and do the politically correct thing, we are all American's no need to try and classify everyone!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    The whole notion of 5th and 6th generation Americans insisting on being called xxxx-Americans is really silly and needs to stop. I agree with the comment from the person who said "American of Irish descent" or whatever, if someone is THAT determined to learn your family tree. Part of America's problem today is the constant push to label and separate people through quotas and affirmative action programs that help no one and have the opposite effect of their good intentions.

This. Plenty of times I have been asked "What am I'... I always answer human or American. Nothing else really matters.
  • ajroberts11
    ajroberts11 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm American. My ancestors were mostly German and Scottish, but other than appreciating sauerkraut and a good dark beer, I don't relate to my heritage much. I've never referred to myself as a Caucasian-American.

My boyfriend is from Mexico and is a naturalized U.S. citizen. He identifies strongly with home cultural, so if you were to ask him, he'd say he's Mexican, but he'd also say he's an American citizen.

His daughter, however, was born in the states, so she's American. Her race maybe half Hispanic and half Caucasian, but we don't identify her by a hyphen. She's American. She's Hispanic.

So...no hyphens all the way around for my little family, except when it comes to last names! lol!
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Since of lot of scientist believe people originated in Africa, I guess that would make all Americans, African-American...

I agree that no one should be hyphenated, unless they personally immigrated here from another country and then became citizens. Otherwise we would all be hyphenated...

just my 2 cents :drinker:

I completely agree with this. My father and my grandmother both immigrated from Germany, so yes, they were considered Germans (and technically, my grandmother was 100% Hungarian, while my father was 50/50 German and Hungarian) who lived in America.

If my family were to hyphenate ourselves, I'd be a German-Hungarian-Polish-Lithuanian-American, my husband would be an Italian-Norwegian-American, and our daughter would be an Italian-Norwegian-German-Hungarian-Polish-Lithuanian-American.

Instead, we are all Americans.
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've always found it strange to hear Americans say things like "I'm Irish" or "I'm Italian", when referring to their ancestry. To me, "I'm Italian" means that you come from Italy. I can understand why, looking at the different histories of the US and UK, but it's just always sounded weird to me.

The English-Scottish-Irish-Welsh vs British thing is a whole other issue and to do with national identity rather than ethinicity. It varies widely, but in my experience, English people are a little more likely to identify as "British" whereas people from Scotland etc are more likely to identify as "Scottish" etc.

That's how I see it, too. We're *all* a wide mix of this, that and the other, but I think nationality should be one word - ie, where we're from....not where our parents or grandparents come from. Nationality is just that, the nation we 'belong' to, not our bloodline/heritage. That's a different thing altogether.
    I'm English btw, aka British - but only one or the other at a time :smile:
  • griffith5150
    Options
    I feel as if sometimes people care a little *too much* about your background. For example, I'm Hispanic, and I have people ask me where I'm from all of the time. When I tell them I'm *from* Florida, they follow up with "but where are you REALLY from?" :huh:

I know where my parents were born, but I do not identify with their heritage. Quite honestly, they do not much either, so it sort of annoys me sometimes that people want to try and pry information about a country that we don't really think much about.

I get the same thing... my response is from California... they always go no like where is your dad from.. He's from Texas, they get frustrated seriously where does your family come from. Than I go my father's family is from Texas when Texas became part of the USA... that makes me 7th generation American born. :smokin:
  • iTStaRTsN0W
    Options
    My daughter is half Mexican. She is considered Mexican-American. However, she was born in America...raised in America. She is American.

Her father is very proud of his background, and we like to encourage her to be proud of who she is as well. So, we teach her that she is mexican-american.

For her, On paperwork where you put "ethnicity" it will always be "Caucasion" and then check the "hispanic origin" box LOL.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think it is for individuals to decide what they wish to be called. Depending on the context I might refer to myself as Indian, American or Indian-American. When I am in India, for example, I refer to myself as American. If I am discussing some context in which my ethnicity or heritage comes into play, I call myself Indian-American. If I were in some other country (other than India) I will call myself American.

White/European culture is still dominant in the United States, so it is understandable that European-Americans don't feel a need to identify as such - it's the default. For the time being, "American" means "white" to many people.

If I am discussing what it's like to be raised in an immigrant family, and I refer to myself as Indian-American, are you, with a straight face, going to tell me that I can't call myself Indian-American? My Polish friends would also refer to themselves as Polish in the same context.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm American. If I were to hyphenate it, it would be German-Irish-English-American. Or I could call myself a White American or a Caucasian American. My dad is of only German descent and his genealogy has been traced back to Germany (I get all of my "muttness" from my mom), but I have never heard him and will never hear him refer to himself as a "German-American".

I know people like to remember their heritage, etc., but I think there are other ways to do that. (My family and I, for example, LOVE to get together German food).

Why can't we all just be proud to be American and still keep our heritage and traditions?
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I'm Black. Simple as that. How I see it anyhow.

American obviously. No hyphens.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I am American. Born here. If I moved from another country it might make sense, but otherwise, you're an American. Hyphens work for EO reasons though.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm American. If I were to hyphenate it, it would be German-Irish-English-American. Or I could call myself a White American or a Caucasian American. My dad is of only German descent and his genealogy has been traced back to Germany (I get all of my "muttness" from my mom), but I have never heard him and will never hear him refer to himself as a "German-American".

I know people like to remember their heritage, etc., but I think there are other ways to do that. (My family and I, for example, LOVE to get together German food).

Why can't we all just be proud to be American and still keep our heritage and traditions?

I am proud to be American, and also identify as Indian-American in some contexts. The two aren't mutually exclusive.