Hyphenated-Americans

Options

Replies

• Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    If we continue to segregate ourselves with hyphens, how can we ever say we are one?
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Where are you a citizen? That's what you are!

I'm not against being proud or educated about your ancestry but the hyphens seem a bit ridiculous to me.

And not all "blacks" are African-American. And some "white" people are! But labels on people tend to make me a little crazy in general...
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Anyway, my first question is American the only hyphenated country? Do the British say "African-British" or "Indian-British" or the Africans say "American-African" or "British-African"? You follow me on this?

Namaste,
    Nika
    Some people in the UK would define themselves as British Asian (generally of South Asian origin, not the Far East) but it's not really a "thing" for British people of other ethnicities. We don't really do the ethnic hyphenating thing you guys do in the US. People just tend to be British, and don't specifiy if they have ancestry from say Italy, or Germany. I've always found it strange to hear Americans say things like "I'm Irish" or "I'm Italian", when referring to their ancestry. To me, "I'm Italian" means that you come from Italy. I can understand why, looking at the different histories of the US and UK, but it's just always sounded weird to me.

The English-Scottish-Irish-Welsh vs British thing is a whole other issue and to do with national identity rather than ethinicity. It varies widely, but in my experience, English people are a little more likely to identify as "British" whereas people from Scotland etc are more likely to identify as "Scottish" etc.

That's a really accurate summary for the UK, so no need for me to repeat, just to say that's pretty much what I was going to say about the UK... :drinker:

As a German with Polish-French heritage who now lives in the UK, I tend to refer to myself as German in the UK (although I've been in the UK longer than I lived in Germany, as I left when I was 18).

Sometimes I use the term European cos I'm such a mix. :laugh:
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I think, hyphenate if it matters.

People hyphenate ethnicities when they're new to a place (between 1 & 3 generations, usually). Or, if their ethnicity has an important place in the larger culture -- because of contributions to the larger culture, discrimination (often both at the same time). Or, if they live in a place where there are a lot of ethnicities (usually, hyphenation is only even a possibility because that is true). Hyphenating always marks you off from the dominant culture.

You stop hyphenating when the part that's marked off really doesn't matter any more, when your life is not affected by being in that category. LIke, being Gerrman-Scottish-American vs American. Makes no difference, doesn't matter.

In the US, the "African" part of "African-American" usually matters, a lot.

But, if it doesn't matter to you, go with American, if that's where your heart & mind are.

Exactly this - I'm Indian-American and hyphenate because it does matter. I was born in India, have a lot of family there, speak the language, eat the food, listen to the music etc, I was raised in the culture, so it is a HUGE part of my life. On the other hand, I use the "American" part because I am am a very proud and patriotic American who came here when I was 3, so this country is my life and home and I consider myself very American, with Indian heritage. So saying "Indian-American" exemplifies that perfectly.
    The whole notion of 5th and 6th generation Americans insisting on being called xxxx-Americans is really silly and needs to stop. I agree with the comment from the person who said "American of Irish descent" or whatever, if someone is THAT determined to learn your family tree

Exactly! If I maybe had one ancestor who came from German 6 generations ago I wouldn't be calling myself German-American as that heritage has nothing to do with my day to day life.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Where are you a citizen? That's what you are!

I disagree. I'm a British citizen, but I'm not "British".
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    In the UK we have black and white. It takes less time to say. It's all fairly self-explanatory. The only real practical difference in terms of ethnic labelling is that here the term 'Asian' is exclusively used to refer to people from the Indian sub-continent, rather than those from the Orient as the US uses it. We call Chinese and Japanese people, rather unimaginatively, Chinese and Japanese people.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I really dislike the term American for several reasons, the first being that the continent is North America. I understand that it's compiled of Canada, The United States of America and Mexico but it seems simple-minded to have even started calling citizens of the United States, Americans in the first place. Technically, anyone from Canada or Mexico are also Americans because they do indeed live in North America. I suppose you could apply that to South America as well.

While this is true, I highly doubt we will be called United Statians (it's been brought up a couple of centuries ago... by Ben Franklin I believe) anytime in the near future and everyone knows that when you say "American" you mean a person from the United States of America. If you mean someone from either American continents you can always apply the geographical reference to it... as in "North American" or "South American".
  • Zomoniac
    Options
    I really dislike the term American for several reasons, the first being that the continent is North America. I understand that it's compiled of Canada, The United States of America and Mexico but it seems simple-minded to have even started calling citizens of the United States, Americans in the first place. Technically, anyone from Canada or Mexico are also Americans because they do indeed live in North America. I suppose you could apply that to South America as well.

It's just easy. There's no other practical name to give them that wouldn't be a nightmare to say. People understand it. Much like people will assume if you say South African you mean someone from South Africa rather than anyone from somewhere in southern Africa.

If it's that much of an issue just call them Dirty Yanks, it's one less syllable anyway :)
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My kids are white and Asian. I refer to them as Amerasian :)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    <<< Indo-Trinidadian.

This has proved to be a bit of an odd thing for me as I grew up struggling with my racial identity, also I only learned of the term within the last 2 years. ETA: I thought everyone from Trinidad was of the same mix as I but that's not the case. Post Colonialism is weird that way.

I was born in Trinidad & Tobago and arrived here in the US when I was about 3 yrs old. I grew up with many racial 'descriptions' as were the times in the late 60's.

Among family, Douglah and Coolie being the most prominent. My father is of Italian & Chinese decent & my mother Indian. Winter time when my skin was fair, it was common to hear aunties & uncles describe me as Coolie because of my complexion. Playing outside in the summertime would change my description to Douglah because my hair is straight but skin very dark.

Among people who were not family, the descriptions were not so kind, but whatever. I was a child of the 60's, soooo, it is what it was.:ohwell:

It's complicated. Sorta. :ohwell: I think the hyphenated terms are meant to be descriptive and give people back an identity that they wouldn't ordinarily have due to having a foot in both worlds (or more as the case may be).
  • hookilau
    Options
    ok, well i don't think hyphenating is stupid.

if your white, your prob not getting discriminated against very much, and in the eyes of almost everyone, which part of europe your from doesn't matter.

but america is very racist, race matters. your race and heritage is a huge part of your identity. i think it's very understandable that many visible minorities would want to hyphenate.

Completely agree.
  • Zomoniac
    Options

if your white, your prob not getting discriminated against very much, and in the eyes of almost everyone, which part of europe your from doesn't matter.

but america is very racist, race matters. your race and heritage is a huge part of your identity. i think it's very understandable that many visible minorities would want to hyphenate.

And presumably labelling people of Caribbean descent who can go back many generations of ancestors who've never been anywhere near Africa as "African-Americans" because they're black and consequently might be African so we'll just make that assumption is a valid solution against racism?
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm American. We're all mutts. Loveable, loyal, beautiful mutts.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I consider myself American. And I don't do the hyphenation thing.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

I've seen this sentiment a few times in this thread - while white Americans may be all mutts, other Americans aren't, hence the hyphenation necessity for some.
  • hookilau
    Options

And presumably labelling people of Caribbean descent who can go back many generations of ancestors who've never been anywhere near Africa as "African-Americans" because they're black and consequently might be African so we'll just make that assumption is a valid solution against racism?

Wait..what?...totally serious here, can you elaborate your point? I think I see what you're getting at but not sure if I've EVER heard another person make this distinction.
  • Zomoniac
    Options
    I'm British, or English, or Yorkshire, or Leeds, or European, or White, or Caucasian, or whatever else you care to use. I have no particular sense of national pride so I'm largely indifferent. Legally, I'm a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Other people can identify themselves in whatever way makes them comfortable. I don't really care. They're all just people to me. I can drive an hour north to Newcastle and find a completely different language and culture. I can drive an hour west to Liverpool and find another completely different language and culture. So I'm not really sure that being English or British is of relevance. It's not an identifying factor to me, in much the same way that, although they may both officially be 'American', I find it hard to think of a compelling reason to throw people from Georgia in the same category as the people from LA. That they both wave the same national flag is pretty much the only similarity.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options

I've seen this sentiment a few times in this thread - while white Americans may be all mutts, other Americans aren't, hence the hyphenation necessity for some.
    Such as....
  • Event_Horizon975
    Options

White is a color. American is a nationality. These are two different things.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Not really. You can be proud of your heritage and not have to separate yourself by a hyphenated distinction.