OH won’t eat vegetables. Any advice for my own health?

debs_w
debs_w Posts: 5 Member
My husband won’t eat vegetables. He’s not interested in side salads. He won’t have beans, peas or sweet corn with anything. It’s very frustrating and I don’t want to generate food waste so I eat what he eats. It’s affecting my health and how I feel about me. I’ve tried talking to him about it but he’s not interested. What can I do that’s good for me? I want to not generate food waste or cause an increase in my work load.

Replies

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    I would just buy a little veggies each week and make yourself a portion. This way it'll only cost a few more dollars each week. You don't have to buy a ton, just enough for you to have some each day.
    Pretend he's having a burger. You can make yourself a burger too and then add on a small side salad just for yourself. I get the ready made bagged salad for 1$-2$.
  • debs_w
    Sorry what I also should have added is I’m only home from Friday to Monday and then during the week I have to travel with work. During the week I try to have a salad at lunch but a lot of the time I miss lunch because of work.
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Most vegetables keep several days in the fridge and can be frozen before or after cooking. My husband is the same way so I always freeze the leftovers in small containers or just eat the same vegetable for several days in a row. You can fix them different ways so they don't get boring.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    There are often little individual serving size canned veggies in the canned food section and sometimes frozen ones packaged like that. I get the single serve green peas for me since no one else in my family likes them. I don't like green beans, so I eat the peas whenever I make green beans with stuff for them.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    My husband doesn't eat veggies either. I love the steam in bag frozen veggies. That is where I get almost all my veg. I easily eat half a bag of broccoli, the other half goes to the kids. It keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days. Same with other veggies.
  • ExistingFish
    Actually I have no problems eating a whole bag of broccoli I found one night (I love it) but I need some beano or something, not doing that again.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    edited July 2018
    Actually I have no problems eating a whole bag of broccoli I found one night (I love it) but I need some beano or something, not doing that again.
    Gut microbiome adapts, but it takes 1-2 weeks of regular (not necessarily daily every day) consumption,

Edited : *Gut* microbiome, not "but". Jeesh. :-)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2018
    For fresh veggies, Ziplock Zip'n Steam are great for single servings. I can do fresh green beans in 3 minutes.

Edited to change brand. Glad makes a version too.
  • ExistingFish
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    But microbiome adapts, but it takes 1-2 weeks of regular (not necessarily daily every day) consumption,

Eh, I considering a bag is 4 servings, I'll just eat my usual half bag (which gives me no problems) and eat something else with it. Another veg or a carb, or some dairy. Not like I'm not going to be eating broccoli, just not 4 servings in one sitting again.

Reminds me of an episode of Big Bang Theory, Sheldon eats a ton of brussels sprouts.....
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    There are all kinds of individual frozen vegetables, bought a wide variety of picksweet individuals this week. Some have 1.5 cups, no waste with that. The reco is 5-9 servings a day.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    But microbiome adapts, but it takes 1-2 weeks of regular (not necessarily daily every day) consumption,

Eh, I considering a bag is 4 servings, I'll just eat my usual half bag (which gives me no problems) and eat something else with it. Another veg or a carb, or some dairy. Not like I'm not going to be eating broccoli, just not 4 servings in one sitting again.

Reminds me of an episode of Big Bang Theory, Sheldon eats a ton of brussels sprouts.....

The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Get some frozen veggies, and microwave or steam the portion you want. Buy a few good keeping fruits (apples, oranges, etc.) and eat some of those. Buy some good keeping veggies (carrots, celery, etc.) and eat some raw. Quick, easy, not wasteful.

I like the steam in the bag veggies too ! I think they taste good.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    So what does he eat? A plate of meat? I fix whatever vegetable side I want for dinner each night. My husband may or may not like it or eat it. He usually at least tries it. So, whatever is left over can be added to my lunch the next day. No waste.
  • debs_w
    So what does he eat? A plate of meat? I fix whatever vegetable side I want for dinner each night. My husband may or may not like it or eat it. He usually at least tries it. So, whatever is left over can be added to my lunch the next day. No waste.

He likes burgers with burgers, chicken Kiev with waffles and pizza with garlic bread. His idea of ‘home cooking’ is a jar sauce over chicken with microwave.

I’ve tried online food shopping as a way of buying fruit and veg in as he’s really impatient and won’t go near the fruit and veg aisles. I’ll look at frozen veg as a way to work this out. I made a lasagne recently and blended up a couple of peppers and a courgette to get more veg in to it. I don’t have time to do that every weekend :(
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Burgers with burgers? Lol. He doesn't have to shop with you...mine doesn't. Just get what you want. I mostly eat fresh. I find a lot of frozen veggies get mushy.