Was there a veggie you resisted for years only to find you liked it when you tried it?

Options
13»

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Asparagus. My grandmother used to boil the life out of the stalks until they were practically grey. It was super gross. I'm telling you, the first time I had oven roasted asparagus was life changing.
  • stormtwh
    stormtwh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower now, just started eating it at 45 years old! Also, just started eating avocados and I love them too!
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Most of them. Growing up, they were generally served as a side dish and typically "boiled to mush and topped with butter or margarine and salt". Exceptions were potatoes, onions, garlic, and canned tomato products. My dad would sometimes make spinach or swiss chard patties, which I loathed, and there would occasionally be carrots in stews. Otherwise, the vegetables incorporated into main dishes were mostly onions and mushrooms, sometimes a pepper. Soups were usually mixes with dehydrated vegetables, that were tough to identify upon rehydration.

I went vegetarian and lived off tofu for about a year. (To be fair, my first veg cookbook was devoted to tofu). Then I started buying Vegetarian Times, tried out a butternut squash casserole, and my world figuratively exploded. "Wait. If I cook and season these things differently... they taste good and have better texture?! Whoa." Since then, I've found that, while I'll occasionally come across a recipe that bombs or a way of preparing vegetables that I dislike—not a fan of sweetening already-sweet vegetables like squash and sweet potatoes, unless there's also some sour involved—the only vegetable I still truly dislike is the brussels sprout. And it's just a matter of time until that changes too, I suspect.

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I used to hate all vegetables except for white potatoes and corn. Nowadays, I like pretty much all of them except for turnips and rutabagas.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don’t know if it counts, because it’s a herb, but coriander/cilantro. Used to HATE it, couldn’t even stand the smell, then I had it in a salad one day and fell in love. Now I can’t get enough of it, and put it in everything I can!!!

I’ve also just discovered that brussels sprouts are actually quite yummy, gently cooked, not over-cooked and soggy! Never liked them until recently, either.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    As a kid I only ate a handful of veggies (corn, potatoes, onions, okra, squash, and celery mostly), but I eat far more as an adult. Some I've grown to love (cauliflower, carrots, green beans, raw spinach) and some I've learned to tolerate (peas & tomatoes are two that I have to force myself to eat). There's only a few that I absolutely refuse to eat at this point (turnips, cooked spinach, & beets off the top of my head).
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Okra
  • BeesAreWorthSaving
    BeesAreWorthSaving Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    lima beans because they always seemed so plastic on the outside and DRY on the inside... avoided them for decades, then tried them once in a restaurant and was astounded that they could actually be great.. not sure why they were so awful as a kid, maybe frozen?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    All of them? I used to be a "picky eater" but I think that was just because my mom perpetuated and encouraged it lol. She is super picky to this day. In particular, I would say tomatoes and onions. (Onions lol, I am embarrassed by that. Onions are in EVERYTHING) I love tomatoes so much now but pretty much only home grown ones. The ones at the grocery store suck *kitten*.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes. Only ever had them drowned in brown sugar and marshmallows and couldn't stand them, now I love them just baked with a little chipolte sea salt.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Jalapenos... I was so afraid they would be so hot and I'd be in pain, lol. Some are hot, but I've learned to cut them and not touch the rib or seeds. I used to also hate coleslaw. I tried it, but hated it. Then one day I just liked it??? Same with Brussels sprouts.
  • jls1leather
    jls1leather Posts: 68 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm Jeff, and Im an avacado eater. o:)

Wait... Does that count?@!
  • granite_peapod
    granite_peapod Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Celery... until someone introduced me to the magic of celery smothered in hummus. 😍