Ketogenic diet

Options
Hi all, wanting peoples thoughts (good and bad) on a ketogenic diet.

I lost 20kgs over the last year, however recently gained most of it back following a traumatic personal experience. I’m wanting to jump back in and start losing the weight while keeping myself busy :)

Please no negative, I’m not here for that, I’m here to gain knowledge.

Replies

• ydumesnil
    ydumesnil Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on a ketogenic for one and half month now. A friend has been thrilling on this diet and gave me some advice and I couldnt be happier to be able to spoon heavy cream and have nuts and cheese as a snack. I took 2 kilos - so I started to log all my calories intake, now i am restricting those and feeling badly hungry the whole time. Dunno what to do anymore. Anyone had the same issue?
  • ballerbryan
    ballerbryan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I've been ketogenic for over 3 years. For me, the positives out weigh the negatives.

The negatives that I have experienced, heard or read about that are associated with keto for some people are:
    1. Some find the diet too restrictive or don't like the food.
    2. It can cost more than relying on the usual filler carbs like noodles, bread, and rice for calories, if you don't use added fats.
    3. Some experience bad breath but that is usually temporary for most.
    4. Keto rash happens in a few, but it is also usually temporary.
    5. For some, LDL rises, which is a concern for some doctors who judge CVD by total cholesterol and LDL without knowing particle size.
    6. There's a lot of judgement from others. Some honestly believe that lots of carbs are crucial to good health and that grains are needed. Conversely, many believe fat is not good for you.
    YMMV

The positives that I have experienced, heard or read about that are associated with keto for some people are:
    1. Reduced appetite and cravingsfor some so it is easier to manage weight. Seems to compliment IF.
    2. Steadier and lower blood glucose and insulin which may help with conditions associated with insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome such as T2D, prediabetes, PCOS, NAFLD, Alzheimer's, CVD and reactive hypoglycaemia.
    3. May be used to help treat some conditions like epilepsy, brain injury or stroke, developmental disorders like autism, cancer, and reducing inflammation for some autoimmune diseases and arthralgias.
    4. Some use keto to treat intestinal issues like IBS. There may be reduced gas and BMs.
    5. Some find their skin and hair is improved by lower sugar and increased fats.
    6. Some enjoy the food. Some find keto reduces their binging.
    7. Some find it reduces migraine frequency and duration.
    8. Some find their BP is improved. My postural hypotension is gone.
    9. Many find that cholesterol panels are improved, with HDL going up, triglycerides going down, LDL changing into a larger less dense variety, and in some their LDL goes down.
    YMMV

Like any diet or drug, these outcomes won't happen for all. I am one who experienced most of the positives, and only a few negatives... Well just one.

Check out the keto group linked earlier, or the Low Carber Daily group, for most possible positives and negatives, or where to start. Good luck.

Every time I see anyone try Keto it's to try to lose weight.

With your experience, do you think it's okay to do Keto short term?

Like instead of choosing to stick to the Keto lifestyle would it be okay if I simply used it as my cutting method?

Basically I'll start trying to bulk, hopefully stay as lean as I can, then when I decide to it's time to cut down and work towards fat loss I switch to Keto.

Would the constant transition to and from Keto be harmful?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    As I learn about this there is a daily moment that you realize, damn I can't have shrimp Tacos. I even bought some "low carb tortilla's" only to find out they were 10g of carbs in each one. Most of the veggies I was eating for dinner are still okay and I gave up my sandwich at lunch. On the bright side I realized I can dip my crab legs in real butter again. I had switched to Old Bay to avoid the fat.
  • aeppc
    aeppc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To Keto or not to Keto...I am not doing a strick Keto. Basically I have omitted the Breads/Pastas/Rice...and sparingly on the veggies like corn. I look at labels and only eat the ones with single digits. A friend of mine did this and lost the 22lbs but it did take longer to do. It has been close to 8 months and she has kept it off. She did a count of 35/40 carbs a day. I just started on it and seeing results already.

I do have a problem with the water though. Seems that I feel heavy drinking that much, so will cut that down.
    I will let you know how I make out.

PS. Crave the sugar though!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have never tried keto but did try low carb (100 grams or less) for a few weeks. Hated it. I was avoiding foods I enjoyed in exchange for ones I didn't as much. My energy levels suffered as did my workout performance. I find a good balance of complex carbs, protein and fat to be the most satiating. For these reasons keto is not for me. That does not mean it won't work for you though.

My suggestion would be to drop your carbs a bit and see how you go while doing more research on keto. Although I am no longer low carb I still limit refined, highly processed, high carb, high sugar foods while consuming wholegrains instead. While there is nothing wrong with these foods as part of a balanced diet I find I do better without them regularly.
  • potassiumboride
    potassiumboride Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started keto about two months ago and although it is limiting and I was tired for the first 6 weeks, I have more energy now than I am used to, my migraines have gone from 4/wk to 2/month (still have sinus headaches but they go away easily), and I have lost 15lbs.

The weight isn't dropping as quickly now but my cravings are so much less, binges have stopped, and as long as I plan food ahead I do well. My problems come when I have no quick foods ready. There aren't nearly as many quick non-perishable options on keto as on higher carb diets.

For me, the lack of migraines is enough to keep me on plan, but I can understand how hard it would be without that incentive.