• RhiAnLewis17
    RhiAnLewis17 Posts: 2,299 Member
    bojack5 wrote: »
    shaf238 wrote: »
    entitlement relative to rank; I don't care if you are VP
    THIS.

People at my workplace will literally refer to you by your salary grading.

NOT COOL

Unless you are in the military.....then your rank is also your paygrade and thats exactly what you get called by.

Maybe, but if you're not it's just disrespectful.
    And, that's your rank. Not your salary. I feel like there's a difference. A rank can be a reminder of your achievements.

No, rank is also your paygrade and the vast majority of rank is earned through time served not on specific achievement. When you are a private you can be called as such and it is your paygrade of E1......enlisted one.....in the Marine corp which i served the next rank is PFC, private first class....E2....then Lance Corporal.....E3.....and so on. Its not disrespectful its what you have earned to that point and nobody has issue with it.

Now the military is different then the civilian world, but in say, the union construction trades. They have titles of mechanic to apprentice.....which is exactly their pay grade.

At first glance i thought i had an issue with people being called by their paygrade, but at second look i dont think its a big deal. I think context is important in how its done, and that would be my only issue.

I was referring to it being disrespectful in terms of the civilian population. When I see the word 'salary' I imagine that means referring to someone as a number.
    Maybe it's just me, but I consider length of time served to be an achievement.

Haha....you are serving your time in the miltary once you sign those papers whether you like it or not. The achievement comes in choosing to serve your country. After that your time served is mandatory. And as long as you arent a total shitbird you will gain rank just for being there. I do find those that choose to reenlist and make it a career to be honorable though.

But i guess im not as sensitive to being addressed in a professional atmosphere in the term in which you have earned. That may be something i should look at and rethink, i honestly never thought about it. Not saying i would change my mind, but you have at least opened it to consideration.

Maybe being in the military hardens you to that sort of thing and I'm just a snowflake 🤷‍♀️
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    I yelled I love you to my high schooler when I was dropping him off at last week's dance. He yelled I love you too back at me. The nerve of that kid 😑

Now that's embarrassing your kid 😂...

Kinda like when I drop mine off and tell him..

"Have a good day Boba Boba bear bear bear"
    🤷🏽‍♂️🙈😂
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Parents that feel shaming their chikdren is an effective form of discipline.

It’s scary to me, how many parents feel it is an appropriate way to punish. You should have seen this Mother this morning at drop off, yelling at her son and name calling him through the car window because he closed the door a little hard. I think if I was anywhere that wasn’t in front of my sons school it would have turned ugly. Some people really just don’t deserve the kids they are blessed with.

Actually... Embarrassment can be a very affective parenting tool... If use properly

But I would agree, all that lady did was prove that she can't handle her kid...

I work with kids everyday who’s parents have that same mentality and I assure you it is not an effective form of discipline. The effects are often long lasting, sometimes devasting and a recipe for disaster when considering your child’s emotional health. It’s not my business how you parent your child or if you even use this as a tool for punishment but if so I suggest you read up on the subject matter. That’s all I will say here because I am very passionate about the subject at hand and it isn’t appropriate for here.

I think we're talking about two different things here...

Example...

When I was young and got out of line, one of the threats I would commonly here was... I'm going to tell your grandfather...

For me, this was the absolute worst thing ever...
    I just couldn't bare his dissapointment, it was well, embarrassing for him to see me like that...

I'm not talking about publicly shaming your kid 😂... Of course I would never do that

But at the same time, you also can't be afraid to get ahold of them when they need it sometimes... People around or not...

Another ex... When you make a kid say sorry, it's the embarrassment that's really the teacher

Yeah, we’re definitely not talking about the same thing. And our parents must have thought the same way. I went through a period where I was really into about cuss words (I was 4) and it really embarrassed my Mom. So she told me that when I cussed I had to call my Grandma and tell her the cuss word I said. Since I never wanted to disappoint my Grandma I stopped cussing altogether. But then one day I was going to Church with my Grandma and I was in a new phase, one where I made up words that I thought sounded funny. The priest was talking to me and in turn I called him a pervert lol. My Grandma was SO mad, probably thought I was a lost cause. I thought at the time I made the word up, but looking back at the time I probably over heard it somewhere. That was the only time I remember my Grandma upset with me.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member

It’s scary to me, how many parents feel it is an appropriate way to punish. You should have seen this Mother this morning at drop off, yelling at her son and name calling him through the car window because he closed the door a little hard. I think if I was anywhere that wasn’t in front of my sons school it would have turned ugly. Some people really just don’t deserve the kids they are blessed with.

Actually... Embarrassment can be a very affective parenting tool... If use properly

I work with kids everyday who’s parents have that same mentality and I assure you it is not an effective form of discipline. The effects are often long lasting, sometimes devasting and a recipe for disaster when considering your child’s emotional health. It’s not my business how you parent your child or if you even use this as a tool for punishment but if so I suggest you read up on the subject matter. That’s all I will say here because I am very passionate about the subject at hand and it isn’t appropriate for here.

Example...

When I was young and got out of line, one of the threats I would commonly here was... I'm going to tell your grandfather...

I just couldn't bare his dissapointment, it was well, embarrassing for him to see me like that...

I'm not talking about publicly shaming your kid 😂... Of course I would never do that

But at the same time, you also can't be afraid to get ahold of them when they need it sometimes... People around or not...

Another ex... When you make a kid say sorry, it's the embarrassment that's really the teacher

Yeah, we’re definitely not talking about the same thing. And our parents must have thought the same way. I went through a period where I was really into about cuss words (I was 4) and it really embarrassed my Mom. So she told me that when I cussed I had to call my Grandma and tell her the cuss word I said. Since I never wanted to disappoint my Grandma I stopped cussing altogether. But then one day I was going to Church with my Grandma and I was in a new phase, one where I made up words that I thought sounded funny. The priest was talking to me and in turn I called him a pervert lol. My Grandma was SO mad, probably thought I was a lost cause. I thought at the time I made the word up, but looking back at the time I probably over heard it somewhere. That was the only time I remember my Grandma upset with me.

I've thought this about our parenting styles for a while, we both seem to have an old school upbringing and our trying to keep those values alive... 💕

A few years ago we had our son in church for the spring litergy that several friends were reading in...

We are not regulars in church and our son just started learning to question things...

While the priest was talking, all of a sudden, clear as a bell, my kid speaks up "Who's Jesus?!", then a few minutes later "Who's the lord!?"...

OMG I just about died 😂🙈... All I could think was, Omg my Grandmother would kill me 🙈😂...
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member

Example...

Example...

I've thought this about our parenting styles for a while, we both seem to have an old school upbringing and our trying to keep those values alive... 💕

A few years ago we had our son in church for the spring litergy that several friends were reading in...

We are not regulars in church and our son just started learning to question things...

While the priest was talking, all of a sudden, clear as a bell, my kid speaks up "Who's Jesus?!", then a few minutes later "Who's the lord!?"...

OMG I just about died 😂🙈... All I could think was, Omg my Grandmother would kill me 🙈😂...

I lol'ed for real at both if these!!
    That is what I love about kids...what comes out of their mouths!
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    People who post before and after photos in the wrong order, especially when there is only a little difference between the two.
    In Western culture we work from left to right, it represents time. Before is on the left, after should be on the right!!! Come on!!
  • como_agua1
    como_agua1 Posts: 210 Member
    edited February 2019
    People who don't use you're /your , bear/bare, there/they're/their in the proper context
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    edited February 2019
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    shaf238 wrote: »
    entitlement relative to rank; I don't care if you are VP
    THIS.

People at my workplace will literally refer to you by your salary grading.

NOT COOL

Unless you are in the military.....then your rank is also your paygrade and thats exactly what you get called by.

Maybe, but if you're not it's just disrespectful.
    And, that's your rank. Not your salary. I feel like there's a difference. A rank can be a reminder of your achievements.

No, rank is also your paygrade and the vast majority of rank is earned through time served not on specific achievement. When you are a private you can be called as such and it is your paygrade of E1......enlisted one.....in the Marine corp which i served the next rank is PFC, private first class....E2....then Lance Corporal.....E3.....and so on. Its not disrespectful its what you have earned to that point and nobody has issue with it.

Now the military is different then the civilian world, but in say, the union construction trades. They have titles of mechanic to apprentice.....which is exactly their pay grade.

At first glance i thought i had an issue with people being called by their paygrade, but at second look i dont think its a big deal. I think context is important in how its done, and that would be my only issue.

I was referring to it being disrespectful in terms of the civilian population. When I see the word 'salary' I imagine that means referring to someone as a number.
    Maybe it's just me, but I consider length of time served to be an achievement.

Haha....you are serving your time in the miltary once you sign those papers whether you like it or not. The achievement comes in choosing to serve your country. After that your time served is mandatory. And as long as you arent a total shitbird you will gain rank just for being there. I do find those that choose to reenlist and make it a career to be honorable though.

But i guess im not as sensitive to being addressed in a professional atmosphere in the term in which you have earned. That may be something i should look at and rethink, i honestly never thought about it. Not saying i would change my mind, but you have at least opened it to consideration.

Well you will only make rank just for being there to E-4 after that it has to do with testing-performance reports and time in grade, Matter of fact if you can not make E-5 after a certain amount of years you will not be retained.
    So you can not make rank just for being there !

This is correct, if you dont make E5 in 12 yrs you are done. And if you dont make E5 in 12 yrs barring disciplinary reductions in rank during the way, you definitely do not belong in the military.

Yep and a Pretty Good chance if you don't make E-5 after 8 you not staying. Up to the commanders discretion if he wants you to stay past 8.
  • Mean_Spice
    Mean_Spice Posts: 279 Member
    E-2 through E-4 is not automatic. It can be stopped at the company level. If your a yard-bird (untrainable soldier) you will not get promoted. I have been in units that it was up to the Platoon Sargent/Platoon leader vouched for you competencies you did not get promoted.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Being busy while my coworkers do nothing
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    People who spit their gum out on the sidewalk. WTF man.
    And have you ever felt it under a table top at a restaurant?
    Grossy, gross gross

*Edit, also people who just spit on the sidewalk, or wherever

Learned in middle school....never stick your hand under a table. EVER.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    People who spit their gum out on the sidewalk. WTF man.
    And have you ever felt it under a table top at a restaurant?
    Grossy, gross gross

*Edit, also people who just spit on the sidewalk, or wherever

Learned in middle school....never stick your hand under a table. EVER.

i did that one when i was like 8 or 9 at this picnic table at a city park. stuck my hand into a wasp nest and got stung like 100 times. fool me once shame on you fool me twice can't get fooled again.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited February 2019
    When emergency personnel get stuck at red lights/traffic so they hit their siren louder and louder until they get through. I 100% get the reasoning behind it but it's the WORST sound in the world. My last apartment had terrible windows and since I lived near a hospital, I could hear it ALL of the time...
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    When people make mountains out of molehills.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    kali31337 wrote: »
    When emergency personnel get stuck at red lights/traffic so they hit their siren louder and louder until they get through. I 100% get the reasoning behind it but it's the WORST sound in the world. My last apartment had terrible windows and since I lived near a hospital, I could hear it ALL of the time...
    kace_kay wrote: »
    People who complain about being bothered by things like ambulances/firetrucks/police sirens or Amber Alerts. Apparently the comfort of your ears should trump life or death situations.

Oh.