August pushup plank and squat challenge

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Here is the August thread. I fell off the wagon big time so need to get back into it!!

Replies

• 20KimmieKim16
    20KimmieKim16 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I’d like to join in on the fun! I don’t have a goal for push ups, squats, and planks. I just want to start at a beginners level and work my way up throughout the month and see where I end up. I’ve tried this by myself and never get pass a few days. Hopefully this challenge will help me stick to it for the whole month.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,387 Member
    Options
    I'll be here tomorrow (Aug 1) to set my minutes for plank hold and find a benchmark for push-ups. I saw a plan on a previous thread to "do what you can for any style of push-up" (straight leg or bent leg or hands on a stair / table / counter / wall ... however you can do more than 2) - do that many for a week, then double it the following week. See where you get by the end of the month. Maybe end up with less than hands on a stair, but able to DO some straight leg on the floor by the end.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    there are good progress plans and info-videos about plank form at the top of https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10677813/60-minutes-per-month-plank-challenge-july-2018

They only track planks, though. So a multi-purpose thread like ours will be is great news!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    bufger wrote: »
    New here but I'm trying to make my way to 100 straight push-ups by the end of the year.

Goals by the end of Aug:
    60 push-ups
    1 min planks (PoE & PoH)
    40 squats
    5 chin ups

Good goals man

I currently can do 50 push ups in one go but I want to push up to 75 in the next 6 weeks.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    New here but I'm trying to make my way to 100 straight push-ups by the end of the year.

Goals by the end of Aug:
    60 push-ups
    1 min planks (PoE & PoH)
    40 squats
    5 chin ups

Good goals man

I currently can do 50 push ups in one go but I want to push up to 75 in the next 6 weeks.

thanks I think they're stretch enough to be challenging but still achievable. Going to the gym now so I'll see what my current form is.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Hey, @bufger Any suggestions on how to build upper body strength to where I can do ANY chin-ups? Body-weight options preferred as I have limited access to free-weights. Maybe I can alternate them with push-ups this month ....
  • bufger
    Options
    @BMcC9 it did take me a while to get to my first one. I got a pull-up bar in my garage and went in every day to try and do one. If I couldn't then I'd stand on a step get to the highest position and slowly lower myself down. This still builds strength in the right places. Any bicep strength training will help so doing curls with weights (it can be any weighted object you find in your house)

As you lose weight and maintain strength you'll just tip the strength to weight ratio and one day 💥, you'll just be able to do one.

Make it your goal though. I don't have weight goals I have performance goals - I'm driven more by that than an ideal weight.
  • bufger
    Options

Goals by the end of Aug:
    60 push-ups
    1 min planks (PoE & PoH)
    40 squats
    5 chin ups

Ok I need to move my goals! Today at the gym I went to see how many I could do of these so I knew what the journey would look like. I did:

25 push ups
    1:06 plank
    40 squats
    5 chin ups

So the only one I haven't managed is the push-ups! New goals are:

60 push ups
    2:00m plank
    50 squats
    8 chin ups
    1 pull up
  • BMcC9
    Options
    @BMcC9 it did take me a while to get to my first one. I got a pull-up bar in my garage and went in every day to try and do one. If I couldn't then I'd stand on a step get to the highest position and slowly lower myself down. This still builds strength in the right places. Any bicep strength training will help so doing curls with weights (it can be any weighted object you find in your house)

As you lose weight and maintain strength you'll just tip the strength to weight ratio and one day 💥, you'll just be able to do one.

Make it your goal though. I don't have weight goals I have performance goals - I'm driven more by that than an ideal weight.

Thanks for the advice! I do already have a chin-up bar at home.

First, I am just gonna have to work on statically staying in to the highest position for a whole second or three when I first shift the weight from my feet-on-chair to hold-on-bar. THEN I will get to lowering myself slowly .... LOL

I figure the push-ups and maybe triceps dips should also help me just plain get to an able-to-hold point.

Finishing out my July Plank Hold Challenge tonight, then over here for August.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Success!! I completed my July cumulative minutes Plank Hold goal over the 20 day stretch (started later in the month)

Now to set some August goals .....
  • fraukazi
    fraukazi Posts: 614 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi all,
    Oh I'm in on the goals!
    I've just had a look at my numbers from July and decided on goals for August

Totals for July
    Knee push up 147
    Sit ups 355
    Squats 1020
    Planks 0

Aug total goals - daily for 5/7 days. I aimed for 6/7 in July and that just doesn't happen. Also adding my end of Aug goal I want to increase to

Knee push ups 250 - 10-25/day increase to 40
    Squats 1500 - 50-100/day increase to 125
    Sit ups 500 - 20-50/day increase to 75
    Planks tbc, need to check what I can do in the morning - probably not long since I've been to my first boxing class in about a year...

Let's do this!
  • emmab0902
    Options
    My only goal is improvement!

1/8 2.5km run and 14/10/10/10/11 = 55 full pushups
  • emmab0902
    Options

I think I'd need to get back to birthweight to be able to do a pull up. :lol: I'm a competitive swimmer and even at my peak as a teenager I could get remotely close to doing one.

• fraukazi
    fraukazi Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Happy challenge start!
    I've added my plank goals, Hands&Elbows and hit my other goals for day 1.

01/08 kpu 10+10, sq 40+60 , su 20+15, 30sH 15sE ✔️

Knee push ups 20/250
    Squats 100/1500
    Sit ups 35/500
    Planks H30s/12mins E15s/7min
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Push ups are going to be QUITE the challenge for me .... here's my attempt to find a starting benchmark:
    straight-leg on floor: 0
    bent-leg on floor: 0
    straight-leg on window-sill (13" above floor level): STILL 0!!
    bent-leg on window-sill: 10 (finally!)

So my plan is to go through that same order daily (or most days) for a week, and then try for 15 on the window-sill on the 8th. When I find I can do even 1 or 2 straight-leg on the window-sill, I will drop the bent-leg and move up in reps weekly from there/ Same with moving to bent-leg on floor, and eventually straight-leg on floor.

My push up goal for August is to be able to do ANY standard push ups. Target number for Aug 31 TBD.

Planks will be mixed rather than PoE static endurance this month. So I may go with days done rather than total time this month. I will let you know.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    For starters, 50 cumulative minutes total for plank hold this month (2 mins / day at: 30 secs each for: Plank on Hands (PoH), Reverse Plank (RP), Right Side Plank (RSP) and Left Side Plank (LSP) and the occasional rest or "lazy" day when life gets in the way. Planks start tonight after work
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,297 Member
    Options
    Goals by the end of Aug:

20 push-ups
    2 min planks (PoH)
    40 squats
    30 assisted pull ups
    1 unassisted pull up :#

Chris
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,297 Member
    Options
    Goals by the end of Aug:

20 push-ups
    2 min planks (PoH)
    40 squats
    30 assisted pull ups
    1 unassisted pull-up :#

Aug. 1st workout

15 knee push-ups
    55 sec plank (PoH)
    30 wall squats using a large exercise ball btn the wall and my back (3X10 squats)
    zero unassisted pull ups (work in process)

Chris
  • emmab0902
    Options
    1/8 2.5km run + 14/10/10/10/11 = 55 full pushups.
    2/8 3.2km swim + 90s POH + 60s POE + 30 squats.