If it didn't have calories, right now I would eat...

Options

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I must be in the minority, but i hate buttercream iceing on a cake. I litterally scrape off icing when someone gives me a slice of cake, not because of calories, i just don't like iceing. I can handle a thin layer of whipcream iceing but nothing crazy sweet like buttercream.

My mom made epic buttercream icing...but the stuff that most grocery store type cakes ice their cakes with is simply non edible...imo. (tastes 'oily' to me...)

However, I remember ordering a really expensive cake from a highly acclaimed bakery for my dad's 80 birthday (cost over $100 as I recall) and the buttercream icing was just that...a thick layer of sweetly favored butter. I was so embarrassed that I had to serve to his guests...It's funny now though

sorry...that traditional wedding cake fondant icing is pretty damn gross too...actually the whole thing is yucky imo :s
    gosh...picky, picky :D

:laugh: it's yummy.. especially the hard little fondant flowers.. Wedding cakes seem to be all mudcake these days. I haven't had proper old fashioned wedding cake in years.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    The old fashioned wedding cake..
    wjh7p1gfhfcs.jpg

What is this?
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    wjh7p1gfhfcs.jpg

What is this?

Back in the "olden" days :D wedding cakes were a rich dark fruitcake topped with a marzipan layer and then royal icing then decorated with little flowers for example that are pretty much hard sugar..
    Feeling nostalgic.. you'd often get a little paper envelope with a slice of cake to take home..
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,555 Member
    Options
    I must be in the minority, but i hate buttercream iceing on a cake. I litterally scrape off icing when someone gives me a slice of cake, not because of calories, i just don't like iceing. I can handle a thin layer of whipcream iceing but nothing crazy sweet like buttercream.

What?! The icing is the best part! I wish you were in my family, I'd trade you icing for cake! I took Wilton cake decorating classes and made cakes every week with buttercream icing to take in and learn to decorate. I never got tired of all that icing!
  • ppatricia81
    ppatricia81 Posts: 23 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    ki5j6rwm5bsc.jpg
    A torta with a beer
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »

What?! The icing is the best part! I wish you were in my family, I'd trade you icing for cake! I took Wilton cake decorating classes and made cakes every week with buttercream icing to take in and learn to decorate. I never got tired of all that icing!

I bet your homemade icing was/is totally yummy. I would love to take cake decorating classes...except I'd want to eat it all!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Tea loaf. Preferably made with Earl Grey. The crunchy sugar on top is a must.
    recipe-image-legacy-id--363725_10.jpg
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Tea loaf. Preferably made with Earl Grey. The crunchy sugar on top is a must.
    recipe-image-legacy-id--363725_10.jpg

Ohh yesss, with real butter on it 🤤
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Right now its a big bowl of popcorn with butter and salt...I learned a neat trick.. I pop a little bit of it on the stove in a measure of coconut oil...plain goodness! To me it adds to the plain popcorn...Many of the movie theatres used it for years..some still do. I love popcorn!

I love all the pictures and ideas... How do you pop popcorn on the stove? My air popcorn broke after probably 15-20 years and I need to get a new one but in the meantime... ? Thank you...
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,188 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I love all the pictures and ideas... How do you pop popcorn on the stove? My air popcorn broke after probably 15-20 years and I need to get a new one but in the meantime... ?

Super easy, but more calories and more clean-up. Put a little bit of high temperature oil in your pot. I use sunflower. Add three kernels of popcorn. Turn heat to high. Measure the amount of popcorn you want to pop. When the first one or three kernels pop, add the rest. Now you'll want to pay attention. Shake the pan to keep the kernels moving, and you can turn the heat down. Lift the lid little if it's not vented to let out the steam. Steam will make the popcorn tough. If you can keep the steam out, pan-popped corn can be much more tender than air popped in my opinion. As the popping slows, you can put a little butter on top to melt.

When popping is really about done, transfer to a large bowl. Add your favorite salt, brewer's yeast, cayenne, garlic powder, or whatever. Someone told me to add the tiniest amount, like an eighth teaspoon, of sugar. I thought that was nuts, but tried it once with just salt and it was actually pretty good.

Eat.

Then you have to wash everything.

If you have a mircowave, yeah, you can use that instead. I ain't got one of them.

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    shira324 wrote: »
    yy2vdxdk3s3i.png

Chocolate babka, all day every day. I shudder to think about the calorie count, and I'd absolutely eat the whole loaf.

OOOO yes. Of all sweet desserts, chocolate babka isn't THAT bad though... :D
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    wjh7p1gfhfcs.jpg

What is this?

Back in the "olden" days :D wedding cakes were a rich dark fruitcake topped with a marzipan layer and then royal icing then decorated with little flowers for example that are pretty much hard sugar..
    Feeling nostalgic.. you'd often get a little paper envelope with a slice of cake to take home..
    wjh7p1gfhfcs.jpg

What is this?

Interesting!
    I am always surprised when a wedding cake is anything other than white cake with white icing. Any kind, any color decorations
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    A big honkin' piece of German chocolate cake.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,555 Member
    Options
    On the topic of popcorn, try different kinds! I like in order blue, red, white, then yellow. The flavors have a nutty quality to them and more flavor. I'll buy white at the grocery store. My preferred way of making is with oil, kernels, butter. When it's done take some more butter and brown it in the pot, then pour over popcorn. I usually just add salt but any seasoning would be good! I haven't had this in awhile, now I want popcorn and not air popped!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Right now its a big bowl of popcorn with butter and salt...I learned a neat trick.. I pop a little bit of it on the stove in a measure of coconut oil...plain goodness! To me it adds to the plain popcorn...Many of the movie theatres used it for years..some still do. I love popcorn!

I love all the pictures and ideas... How do you pop popcorn on the stove? My air popcorn broke after probably 15-20 years and I need to get a new one but in the meantime... ? Thank you...

Much easier to make it in the microwave. Much much easier.

I will try it, thank you!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I love all the pictures and ideas... How do you pop popcorn on the stove? My air popcorn broke after probably 15-20 years and I need to get a new one but in the meantime... ?

Super easy, but more calories and more clean-up. Put a little bit of high temperature oil in your pot. I use sunflower. Add three kernels of popcorn. Turn heat to high. Measure the amount of popcorn you want to pop. When the first one or three kernels pop, add the rest. Now you'll want to pay attention. Shake the pan to keep the kernels moving, and you can turn the heat down. Lift the lid little if it's not vented to let out the steam. Steam will make the popcorn tough. If you can keep the steam out, pan-popped corn can be much more tender than air popped in my opinion. As the popping slows, you can put a little butter on top to melt.

When popping is really about done, transfer to a large bowl. Add your favorite salt, brewer's yeast, cayenne, garlic powder, or whatever. Someone told me to add the tiniest amount, like an eighth teaspoon, of sugar. I thought that was nuts, but tried it once with just salt and it was actually pretty good.

Eat.

Then you have to wash everything.

If you have a mircowave, yeah, you can use that instead. I ain't got one of them.

Thank you!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    snowyne wrote: »
    A big honkin' piece of German chocolate cake.

My birthday is in two days and I have German chocolate cake on the brain too!