If it didn't have calories, right now I would eat...

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,153 Member
    I had so much fun making berry pie, I made a savory one yesterday. Layers of thinly sliced Yukon gold potatoes (tossed with olive oil and seasonings), thinly sliced onions, sliced mushrooms, and garlic.
    68e95ehskv9f.jpg

It looks better than it tasted, but it was just an experiment. Not TOO many calories; just 340 per slice estimated. Next time I won't layer the potatoes and onions; I will mix them and maybe give a little saute before assembling the pie. I also neglected to add rosemary which would have brightened it up. Maybe a tiny bit of miso or mustard powder for some umami, but all in all not bad. It was better heated up for lunch today than yesterday. If it was better, I'd share with neighbors. I have a full year to perfect the recipe so when we're (presumably) allowed to sit down together for a festive meal in 2021, I can have a better version.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I had so much fun making berry pie, I made a savory one yesterday. Layers of thinly sliced Yukon gold potatoes (tossed with olive oil and seasonings), thinly sliced onions, sliced mushrooms, and garlic.
    68e95ehskv9f.jpg

It looks better than it tasted, but it was just an experiment. Not TOO many calories; just 340 per slice estimated. Next time I won't layer the potatoes and onions; I will mix them and maybe give a little saute before assembling the pie. I also neglected to add rosemary which would have brightened it up. Maybe a tiny bit of miso or mustard powder for some umami, but all in all not bad. It was better heated up for lunch today than yesterday. If it was better, I'd share with neighbors. I have a full year to perfect the recipe so when we're (presumably) allowed to sit down together for a festive meal in 2021, I can have a better version.

If this was apple pie I would be all over it!
  • pancakerunner
    knr0evyy94je.png
  • mtaratoot
    68e95ehskv9f.jpg

My friend who LOVES to make pie told me one of his little secrets is to put a layer of very thinly sliced apples on the bottom of a berry pie.....

I think it's his fault I started on this pie thing. I went to visit him, and he had made me a pie. It was definitely MY pie because the vent he had cut was the letter M.

I might do an apple pie. There's so many apples around here. I can find some good tart ones that hold their texture. Back in high school (1980s) I had a recipe for a really good apple pie with no or almost no additional sugar and a tasty whole wheat crust. I made it a few times, and you know I just haven't made much pie since then. I was cheating myself of the fun of making pie.

Now I just need to find more people to help me eat them if I start making them because... well, unless they "if had no calories."
  • pancakerunner
    68e95ehskv9f.jpg

My friend who LOVES to make pie told me one of his little secrets is to put a layer of very thinly sliced apples on the bottom of a berry pie.....

I think it's his fault I started on this pie thing. I went to visit him, and he had made me a pie. It was definitely MY pie because the vent he had cut was the letter M.

I might do an apple pie. There's so many apples around here. I can find some good tart ones that hold their texture. Back in high school (1980s) I had a recipe for a really good apple pie with no or almost no additional sugar and a tasty whole wheat crust. I made it a few times, and you know I just haven't made much pie since then. I was cheating myself of the fun of making pie.

Now I just need to find more people to help me eat them if I start making them because... well, unless they "if had no calories."

celery pie? 0 calories
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    🙄😁😧😏😏😏👍

zsa7ol6b22qs.jpg
    raymax4 wrote: »
    senalay788 wrote: »
    raymax4 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    CokeZero.jpeg

Ohhhhhhh wait, wrong thread lol

On my desk right now!

xdug2tp8pzie.jpg

what happened to crazyravr I miss him

He got banned for commenting on posts such as the one you quoted.

That stinks

But his cheesecake lives on!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    68e95ehskv9f.jpg

So pretty! But I want apples or berries, too. Hot, with ice cream! Whoa! That’s waaaay too many. Calories.
    Curious, why apples in berry pie? Trying to figure out what it does?
  • mtaratoot
    68e95ehskv9f.jpg

So pretty! But I want apples or berries, too. Hot, with ice cream! Whoa! That’s waaaay too many. Calories.

I think it might bulk it up and absorb some of the liquid. I think it might add a very nice interesting surprise in the texture. I think it might add a flavor that complements the berries. I'm not totally sure, but my friend knows pie. When we go on camping trips to run rivers (not multi-day river trips, but car camping trips with river running every day) he would always bring a pie or three for the Saturday potluck. Everyone always was looking over their shoulder for when he brought out his pies because everyone wanted some of HIS pies. He often joked by taking a whole pie and saying, "Well, those are yours; this is mine." To be honest I think I ate the whole entire pie he gave me in one night. Not that it had calories.

He also agrees with you about the ice cream. Vanilla ice cream. High quality vanilla ice cream.

If I had to choose sweet or savory, I'll almost always go savory. So I'll keep working on savory pies. I used to make a savory pumpkin pie. It had onions, mushrooms, garlic, and millet. I think a little curry or at least turmeric. I would take two to Thanksgiving potlucks. I would put them down on the table with main dishes. I would go take off my coat and say hello to people, then I always had to make a pass back through the food room and move them from the dessert table back to the main dish table. Some kind person always tried to help me out by moving them to the dessert table. Someone would be in for a rude surprise if they put whipped cream on that and dug in.
  • mtaratoot
    68e95ehskv9f.jpg

celery pie? 0 calories

Only if you cut away all the crust. NOT. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

But I might try to invent a celery pie. It actually might be good. Add some rhubarb!
  • pancakerunner
    68e95ehskv9f.jpg

celery pie? 0 calories

Only if you cut away all the crust. NOT. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

But I might try to invent a celery pie. It actually might be good. Add some rhubarb!

was thinking the same! Kind of the same plant type
  • pancakerunner
    random but why are there no exotic fruit pies? Papaya pie... Kiwi pie... mango pie..
  • pancakerunner
    random but why are there no exotic fruit pies? Papaya pie... Kiwi pie... mango pie..

hfwtwzyqeedi.png
    i stand corrected: https://www.everythingpies.com/papaya-pie-recipe-unique-pies/
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    fs5xpbxx1kbe.jpg

😂
  • mtaratoot
    edited November 2020

Aren't Key Limes exotic?

I see several recipes on the interwebs for papaya pie. I like to say that. Papayapai. Papayapay. Almost a palindrome.

I even see recipes for durian pie. Now that would be exotic.
  • lx1x
    edited November 2020
    o1153li6pdi7.jpg
    5fatbrsdky27.png
  • pancakerunner
    lx1x wrote: »
    fs5xpbxx1kbe.jpg

😂

lx8holf0xt1s.png
    no thanks!
  • lx1x
    lx1x wrote: »
    fs5xpbxx1kbe.jpg

😂

lx8holf0xt1s.png
    no thanks!

That's 🤢 Worthy.. 😂
  • mtaratoot
    I would eat POTATO!
  • mtaratoot
    edited November 2020
    68e95ehskv9f.jpg

I remember hearing it said of Vidalia onions: "You can eat 'em like an apple."

So..... Pie?

Someone I know corrected the saying: "You can eat 'em like an onion."