Keto vs Low Carb

Options
13»

Replies

• travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I think a common theme with many of these diets is to avoid processed foods and that's a good thing for everybody. Right now I am living a keto lifestyle and really enjoying the research and hope it provides many health benefits along with getting rid of body fat/ weight. I am not obese but would like to maintain an optimum weight and fitness level. I don't want my health to be a burden for me or my family. The only down side I have found is I sure miss my craft beer.

Oh yes, I know about missing things. I miss my pie every night with my cup tea.
    I just hope these sacrifices pay off. I’ve always cook from scratch reason paleo is so easy for me. A friend is on low carb works great for her but not me. So it’s interesting.
  • travelling_lots
    edited August 2018
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    To say the only way keto works is calorie deficit is missing some major points. I am not saying you need to like it or try it but you may understand it you you do some research on it. For most keto people weight loss is a benefit but not the goal.

Yes, and thanks.
    I know what you mean. I’m still researching it.
    But I’m only doing it for two months as a jump start. My back would have recovered by then and be fully mobile too.
    Not saying I’ll be back running 10-13 km daily 6 days a week either.
    But will be more mindful on my calories then.
    Since I’ll be at my correct weight. So I’ll be going back to my old paleo lifestyle.

You think you're going to lose 30lbs in 2 months on keto?

Oh no, I never said that.

I’m using it as a jump start Because I’m very sedentary til My back heals which is two months.
    Then I can move around and start burning calories from exercise while back on the paleo lifestyle.

The Keto diet from my understanding I would lose 2 lbs a month with sedentary lifestyle nothing else.

So, It will help me maintain weight but not gain weight. If I drop a few pounds great.

It would be completely ignorant to think yes I’ll drop 30 lbs in 2 months. You made me laugh with the question.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    leftsox wrote: »
    Ok guys so all the science behind how long it takes to process protien and fats vs carbs Must be wrong..because of course you can eat salad and cake and feel full for 18 hours right...I call BS.

Please link to where anybody said it's a good idea to eat nothing but cake and salad. We'll wait. :smh:

Unfortunately, we're in the wrong universe. Somewhere out there our other selves eating junk food and get fit

You should read my thread in the debate forum. :wink:
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I just started a keto plan and have also doing it for my husband and daughter. My question is MyFitnessPal does not seem to take the carbs and subtract the fibre to get net carbs. I use the foods already calculated on this app . Do you have any suggestions for me?

MFP does not calculate net carbs. You can set your diary to show carbs and fiber and subtract yourself. That's the best method at this point. If you have more questions please feel free to start your own thread on one of the help boards. If your questions are tagged onto and existing thread they don't always get answered thoroughly.

There is a script to calculate net carbs. Find it here: https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    To say the only way keto works is calorie deficit is missing some major points. I am not saying you need to like it or try it but you may understand it you you do some research on it. For most keto people weight loss is a benefit but not the goal.

Yes, and thanks.
    But I’m only doing it for two months as a jump start. My back would have recovered by then and be fully mobile too.
    Since I’ll be at my correct weight. So I’ll be going back to my old paleo lifestyle.

I’m using it as a jump start Because I’m very sedentary til My back heals which is two months.
    Then I can move around and start burning calories from exercise while back on the paleo lifestyle.

The Keto diet from my understanding I would lose 2 lbs a month with sedentary lifestyle nothing else.

So, It will help me maintain weight but not gain weight. If I drop a few pounds great.

It would be completely ignorant to think yes I’ll drop 30 lbs in 2 months. You made me laugh with the question.

Thank you for clarifying. It was just how I read it. I'm glad you have a more realistic sense. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who seem to think that keto is magical that way. If it's working for you, and you are happy, and it fits your life, then all the power to you. All the best in your healing.
  • travelling_lots
    Options

Yes, and thanks.

Thank you for clarifying. It was just how I read it. I'm glad you have a more realistic sense. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who seem to think that keto is magical that way. If it's working for you, and you are happy, and it fits your life, then all the power to you. All the best in your healing.

Thanks, and good luck in your journey as well.
  • chicknsun
    chicknsun Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What? Too confusing. I am new to all dieting. Lost 20 lbs in 2 months on adipex and just basically not eating.. can't figure this stuff out. I need food. Eating less than 1000 calories a day. I stay hungry. I need help.. please..
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    chicknsun wrote: »
    What? Too confusing. I am new to all dieting. Lost 20 lbs in 2 months on adipex and just basically not eating.. can't figure this stuff out. I need food. Eating less than 1000 calories a day. I stay hungry. I need help.. please..

I would suggest starting your own thread. It will get more attention. People will assume this is another response to this one and may not look. 20 lbs in 2 months is quite fast, depending on how much you have to lose. In your thread, add a bit more information, height, starting weight, goal weight will all be helpful. Eating less than 1000 cals/day isn't giving you enough nutrition and can cause some big issues with malnourishment.
  • chicknsun
    Options
    Yes it has caused quite a few issues. I have been dehydrated and been to emergency room a couple of times. This past weekend I was having 'tremors' syncope type episodes. I suspect it was from the prednisone i was put from the unknown allergic reaction from a week ago. I have been told im not eating enough. I dont know how else to do this other than not eating. I still have 40 lbs to go. I have goals of 63g protein minimum, 120 g max carbs. I usually make about 40 g protein with max of 50-70 carbs and 900+/- calories a day. I am hungry most of the time but only eat when absolutely hungry. I drink lots of water now..over 60+oz day.

I really don't know what I'm doing or where to go for solid info for newbie. I'm tired of passing out and being hungry.. but I don't want to gain any weight back while trying to figure it out. Also not been to gym in a few weeks because of the medical issues, passing out and allergic reaction. (Fyi, hypothyroid and SVT are contributing factors to original weight gain.) Going to start going back to gym on Monday. Then I will be able to get closer to my 1200+ calorie daily goal. Looking for advice.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Yes it has caused quite a few issues. I have been dehydrated and been to emergency room a couple of times. This past weekend I was having 'tremors' syncope type episodes. I suspect it was from the prednisone i was put from the unknown allergic reaction from a week ago. I have been told im not eating enough. I dont know how else to do this other than not eating. I still have 40 lbs to go. I have goals of 63g protein minimum, 120 g max carbs. I usually make about 40 g protein with max of 50-70 carbs and 900+/- calories a day. I am hungry most of the time but only eat when absolutely hungry. I drink lots of water now..over 60+oz day.

I really don't know what I'm doing or where to go for solid info for newbie. I'm tired of passing out and being hungry.. but I don't want to gain any weight back while trying to figure it out. Also not been to gym in a few weeks because of the medical issues, passing out and allergic reaction. (Fyi, hypothyroid and SVT are contributing factors to original weight gain.) Going to start going back to gym on Monday. Then I will be able to get closer to my 1200+ calorie daily goal. Looking for advice.

Again. Start your own thread rather than hijacking this one. You'll get more information. And more support. Welcome to the forums. There are a lot of great people here who will be happy to help. It sounds like you're very overwhelmed. And honestly, I'm concerned with the symptoms you are describing.
  • chicknsun
    Options
    Sorry.. where do you recommend i go?
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Sorry.. where do you recommend i go?

I would maybe put it in the general diet forum. Once in there, I think the icon is at the top of the screen to start your own thread. I just want to make sure there are more eyes on this to help you.