Weight loss plateau

Options
Ive lost 31.8 lbs since March but I’ve been on a plateau for almost 3 weeks now. I have 18 lbs to go.
I’ve been better about my calorie intake than ever before and I’ve even added 3 more days of cardio per week (totaling 6 days a week with alternating days of strength training).
I feel good physically but I’m getting frustrated by the scale not moving down (it bounces around between 1-2 lbs lost/gained).
For those of you that have experienced this, how long did it last? How did you overcome it?
I can’t cut my calories any further, they’re already very low. I can’t possibly workout any harder- I truly get my *kitten* kicked every time I step in the gym.
I had to stop taking birth control about a month ago (I had been on it for years) and also wonder if that’s contributing to this stubborn lack of weight loss.
I won’t give up, I will keep pushing...but I could use some words of encouragemen and advice.

Replies

• sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I’m consistent with my food measurements and I only eat back up to 50% of my exercise calories. I like the chart though, thanks :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    It just happens. You'll hear it said, "weight loss isn't linear" and that is really true. Especially for young women (child-bearing age) due to hormonal fluctuations, sleep, stress, type of foods, change in exercise routine or frequency.

Just keep doing the next right thing and it will happen. Patience, lovely. :)
  • sarahlucindac
    Options
    Thank you ☺️
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    @cmriverside is right. Keep doing what you’re doing. It frustrating but not uncommon, especially after losing a significant amount. Sometimes the scale needs to catch up with the changes going on. Look for little non-scale victories during those times the scale doesn’t move, as it tends to move slower the closer we get to our goals.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    And yeah, the food scale is really important.

With that said, I lost my first 50 pounds without a food scale - but that last 20 I had to be very disciplined.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It happens, just stick with it! You've done great so far! The increased workouts might be causing water retention, too. You'd think weight loss would get easier as you go, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Determination and patience are the way to go. <3
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    8cf8va5a8fek.png

It will happen several times. (sigh) It is great you made 30lbs without a plateau. I had two, two week plateaus before I lost 30lbs.
  • sarahlucindac
    Options
    I’m consistent with my food measurements and I only eat back up to 50% of my exercise calories. I like the chart though, thanks :)

But do you use a food scale? Check out the videos in this thread.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

Wow, I didn’t realize how much discrepancy there can be with measuring cups (which is what I use). I guess I just figured since my calories are already so low, measuring cups would suffice without being exact to the T. Lately, I have been leaving hundreds of “extra calories” from exercise up on the board at the the end of the day. Are a few grams of extra cereal here or there really going to have that big of an impact?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

But do you use a food scale? Check out the videos in this thread.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

Wow, I didn’t realize how much discrepancy there can be with measuring cups (which is what I use). I guess I just figured since my calories are already so low, measuring cups would suffice without being exact to the T. Lately, I have been leaving hundreds of “extra calories” from exercise up on the board at the the end of the day. Are a few grams of extra cereal here or there really going to have that big of an impact?

I wish I'd saved it, but once upon a time I ran a personal test by logging everything I ate that day with measuring cups/spoons and then transfering everything to the food scale and logged it by weight. Logging by weight, my food was 300-400 calories above what I'd logged with cups/spoons. The differences really add up for some people.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    For one meal probably not.... for your daily and weekly totals, yes it will make a difference. If I was giving you money back and I shorted you ten cents each time, it wouldn't be bad the first time but after ten times that would be one dollar. The little things can add up.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You've increased your exercise as well, which comes with an increase in water weight usually which will mask fat loss for a couple of weeks. You may just need to wait it out.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Alright, you guys convinced me. I bought a food scale today.

Cool! Tell us what you find out. I love updates.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Alright, you guys convinced me. I bought a food scale today.

Sounds like you're on a great track. Nice Job. Please keep up posted on your progress.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    It will be a love/hate relationship with the food scale.

One ounce of cheese? Really? Not right, I'm telling you.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    It will be a love/hate relationship with the food scale.

One ounce of cheese? Really? Not right, I'm telling you.

Cheese is life.
  • sarahlucindac
    Options
    Yes, cheese is life.