Weight loss plateau

Options
2»

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ahhh... cheese. Having been born in Wisconsin, cheese runs in my veins!

One ounce of cheese seems depressing, but 28 grams is heavenly!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    :lol:
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    Ahhh... cheese. Having been born in Wisconsin, cheese runs in my veins!

One ounce of cheese seems depressing, but 28 grams is heavenly!

• ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Great advice here already and they are dead on with the digital food scale. It makes a world of difference. I am sure you will see your weight shift soon. I started on my healthier lifestyle January 11th, 2017 and lost just over 100 lbs in 8 months and 4 days. I did witness a plateau during that period though... it lasted 28 days. It was hard to not become discouraged, but I just keep pushing forward. Changing up your exercise routine can help as well... I get in the gym much like you (A LOT), but if you are doing the same routine over and over your body could use some 'change'. Just change it up some... For example if you always walk the treadmill but stay at the same incline, try adjusting it some. Walk a bit slower but at a higher incline maybe. Make sure you are getting plenty of water in... that helps immensely! I have a feeling you will soon see the desired shift though... that food scale is a HUGE factor in knowing the amounts you are actually consuming. You'll get through this!! Just keep pushing onward!!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    UPDATE: Hooray!! It happened! The scale went way down. Just stepped on and BOOM-3.8 lbs lost.
    The changes I made...
    1) I bought the food scale and have been using it diligently. I discovered several hundred calories were sneaking into my meals per day.
    2) Not only did I start with the food scale, but I re-evaluated other measurements that I had been eye-balling such as how much cream/sugar I put in my coffee, etc (more calories that were sneaking their way in)
    3) I added extra cardio to my week (started the C25K program about a week ago)
    4) Stopped eating after 9pm
    5) If I had an afternoon shift at work, I started working out in the morning instead of the evening
    6) Except for weigh-in day, I slam about 8-16 ounces of water immediately after waking up
    7) No more daily weigh-ins to screw with my head. Restricting it to twice a week.
    8) Instead of eating back 50% of my exercise calories, I’m eating back only about 100 cal on my C25K days and only 200-300 cal on my heavy workout days. I will make an exception to that rule once or twice a week.

Feeling good! I realize I’ll likely hit more plateaus as I go and I’m going to do my best not to panic about it anymore.
    As of today, I have 14.4 lbs before reaching my original goal (will be 50 lbs lost from the start).
    I wanted to share this information for anyone else out there that has struggled with a weight loss plateau. Cheers!! 🥂

Best thread I've read today! I love to see people who are stuck take the advice they're given and at least try it before they decide it's wrong. I'm thrilled for you!!
  • sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: Hooray!! It happened! The scale went way down. Just stepped on and BOOM-3.8 lbs lost.
    The changes I made...
    1) I bought the food scale and have been using it diligently. I discovered several hundred calories were sneaking into my meals per day.
    2) Not only did I start with the food scale, but I re-evaluated other measurements that I had been eye-balling such as how much cream/sugar I put in my coffee, etc (more calories that were sneaking their way in)
    3) I added extra cardio to my week (started the C25K program about a week ago)
    4) Stopped eating after 9pm
    5) If I had an afternoon shift at work, I started working out in the morning instead of the evening
    6) Except for weigh-in day, I slam about 8-16 ounces of water immediately after waking up
    7) No more daily weigh-ins to screw with my head. Restricting it to twice a week.
    8) Instead of eating back 50% of my exercise calories, I’m eating back only about 100 cal on my C25K days and only 200-300 cal on my heavy workout days. I will make an exception to that rule once or twice a week.

Feeling good! I realize I’ll likely hit more plateaus as I go and I’m going to do my best not to panic about it anymore.
    As of today, I have 14.4 lbs before reaching my original goal (will be 50 lbs lost from the start).
    I wanted to share this information for anyone else out there that has struggled with a weight loss plateau. Cheers!! 🥂

Best thread I've read today! I love to see people who are stuck take the advice they're given and at least try it before they decide it's wrong. I'm thrilled for you!!

Thank you so much!! I appreciate all of the awesome advice. ❤️ my MFP peeps, you all have helped me so much ☺️
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are disheartening. Do you need to look at the quality of your calories and your portions? I have an electronic scale and I love it. But, I still use my measuring cups, so maybe I need to use the scale for everything. Could you fit in an additional 10 minutes of exercise here and there. I keep my weights by my chair and during commercials I do a few reps. I hope your plateau breaks through soon.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    do you mean you only have 14 lbs left to go? or do you need to lose more? if the first one is accurate then with less than 15lbs to go its going to be very slow weight loss, and you should have your goal set to lose .5lb a week if you dont already. The less you have to lose the slower its going to be also. so dont give up,keep going and you will get there.
  • sarahlucindac
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Yes, I broke through my plateau (see above update)
  • sarahlucindac
    Options
    do you mean you only have 14 lbs left to go? or do you need to lose more? if the first one is accurate then with less than 15lbs to go its going to be very slow weight loss, and you should have your goal set to lose .5lb a week if you dont already. The less you have to lose the slower its going to be also. so dont give up,keep going and you will get there.

I have 14 lbs left to go :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I have 14 lbs left to go :)

then weight loss will be really slow.