Intermittent fasting: sounds bad

Options

Replies

• josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted! I had low thoughts about fasting but my doctor said... And so I try not to eat from 7 pm until 10 am. Iced water is okay anytime and my other doctor said ... so I try to drink a lot. It does seem to be working okay-not as hungry and eating to maximize the foods I am getting. I am not starving like I thought nor is my body making noise! I am not sure if I will increase fast hours other than Fast Sunday once a month (My church's belief).
  • tuftedghostdeer
    tuftedghostdeer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've recently decided to start going on (my own variation of) an IF eating pattern.

I naturally do not like breakfast. I always want to enjoy a nice, full dinner. I don't need much at lunch. This pattern works well in ALL areas of my life from "normal" work weeks, to traveling, to track days, to race weekends.

Sure, meal prep and calorie counting work - when I'm at home and have the time to do it, BUT, Mar-Oct, that doesn't work so well when I'm on the road and at the track 3 out of 7 days more weeks than not and still trying to work a full week plus my side hustle.

I chose not to do a true fast in that I still have my morning coffee+creamer once I start work, and I allow myself a small plant/nut/protein based snack (~150-200cal) in the afternoon if I'm getting hungry.

Then, I don't worry about dinner - I enjoy what I feel like eating that day, and even fast food won't exceed my calories for the day (not that it's common, but just an example).

I've only just finished my first couple weeks of this, but the scale has started to drop and after a few days (since this tends to follow my natural eating patter anyways) my hunger adjusted and is very tolerable at this point, unlike trying to eat 3-5 small meals a day that always left me hungry.

Also, my morning workouts are not suffering in any way, either, whereas on the small meal plan, if I was in much of a noticeable deficit, my workouts started to suffer within a couple days. The full dinner leaves me with enough fuel that I've actually been feeling really good during my workouts. Energy during the day hasn't suffered one bit either, in fact, if anything, I've felt more energetic most of the day.

I'm pretty much doing the exact same thing you are. I am losing weight each week, not obsessing over food, not hungry during the morning or lunch anymore. Eating foods I LOVE for dinner and the weight is dropping off. I LOVE IT.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have fasted a couple of times (one for blood work) but I have a problem with it. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day so I doubt it will ever have a major place in my eating pattern. If I wasn't working I could easily move breakfast to 10 o'clock though.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The unhealthy thing about IF is to think about not eating all the time as something unhealthy or extreme, and needing a term for it to make it palatable (sorry but not sorry for the silly pun).

Yes ^

I know a lot of people who can't stomach breakfast. They've NEVER called it 16:8. Some are slim some are fat.

I love eating breakfast. But because it's trendy I'll start eating like them? That's what's "unhealthy" about it IMO - this fascination with following trends instead of figuring out what way of eating works for you.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I've recently decided to start going on (my own variation of) an IF eating pattern.

I naturally do not like breakfast. I always want to enjoy a nice, full dinner. I don't need much at lunch. This pattern works well in ALL areas of my life from "normal" work weeks, to traveling, to track days, to race weekends.

Sure, meal prep and calorie counting work - when I'm at home and have the time to do it, BUT, Mar-Oct, that doesn't work so well when I'm on the road and at the track 3 out of 7 days more weeks than not and still trying to work a full week plus my side hustle.

I chose not to do a true fast in that I still have my morning coffee+creamer once I start work, and I allow myself a small plant/nut/protein based snack (~150-200cal) in the afternoon if I'm getting hungry.

Then, I don't worry about dinner - I enjoy what I feel like eating that day, and even fast food won't exceed my calories for the day (not that it's common, but just an example).

I've only just finished my first couple weeks of this, but the scale has started to drop and after a few days (since this tends to follow my natural eating patter anyways) my hunger adjusted and is very tolerable at this point, unlike trying to eat 3-5 small meals a day that always left me hungry.

Also, my morning workouts are not suffering in any way, either, whereas on the small meal plan, if I was in much of a noticeable deficit, my workouts started to suffer within a couple days. The full dinner leaves me with enough fuel that I've actually been feeling really good during my workouts. Energy during the day hasn't suffered one bit either, in fact, if anything, I've felt more energetic most of the day.

I'm pretty much doing the exact same thing you are. I am losing weight each week, not obsessing over food, not hungry during the morning or lunch anymore. Eating foods I LOVE for dinner and the weight is dropping off. I LOVE IT.

This sounds more like OMAD than IF. I could cram all my calories into one meal a day relatively easily. Nutrients? Nosomuch.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    This just reminded me of my wife. She never ate breakfast and I always told her it was the most important meal of the day. So if IF is beneficial she had it right all along. And she reminds me of this daily.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    What's wrong with just, you know, doing IF because it makes weight loss easier for the person who is happier on it? Why does it need a fantastical hook to make someone feel special about following it? If you want a hook, a large percentage of people are unable to sustain a diet. If intermittent fasting makes dieting more sustainable for you, you're one of the special few.

Because people crave ecstatic quasi-religious fervor even more than they crave hyperpalatable foods? ;););)

Its validation that they are doing the best possible diet out there. But reality is, there isnt a single solution that is best.

I almost feel like it's a necessary part of the learning curve...

1 - Start off doing something...
    2 - Then do what's "best" or "optimal"
    3 - Settle into doing what works.

This is completely brilliant. Trouble is, I don't think it'll click for anyone who hasn't been through it. ;)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,400 Member
    Options
    I do it because I don't want to eat in the morning. End of story. I don't follow it religiously, if I happen to want to eat something because I am hungry at 8am, I will.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'm confused by it too. If you are eating breakfast and having a light lunch and then a substantial dinner and consume the same number of calories in a shorter period of time, why does it work? I'm sure it is more involved involved than that. Does it matter what foods you consume and is there a calorie target. I know a lot of people seem to believe it broke though a weight plateau for them.

You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. It doesn't matter of you eat those in 1 hour or in 16 hours. Some people find that IF leaves them feeling less hungry, because they get one or two big meals during a shorter period of time rather than smaller meals throughout the whole day. There is nothing magical about it.

well if you ignore autophagy and hormonal changes you are right.

Autphagy happens with caloric restriction. But I would love to see human studies as compared to normal caloric restriction.