Is post-workout shower safe?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    It's all according to who you are showering with! LOL j/k
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I suddenly find my question quite funny lol, I just remember some myths I heard from some people before that it's not safe to do so as you might get some sort of musculoskeletal spasm. But yeah, as long as you don't slip and fall in the shower... :p Thanks guys! :)
    Who makes up this stuff? Like one day, a person decides, “Hmm... time to level-up the *kitten* a notch because there isn’t quite yet enough”

My new word now! LOL

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    To be fair, there is some truth in the technical scuba diving world - if you've done a deco dive not only should you do the minimum of exercise but also keep your shower cool so as to not interfere with the body's off gassing... not sure that's what the average person would be meaning though... 😂

hmmm, I'd heard (recommendations from a pot) that you shouldn't take a hot shower after diving due to the potential masking of symptoms of a DCI, rather than affecting the off-gassing process per se.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    It's not safe if you have post-run nipple chafing going on. Feel the burn...
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    To be fair, there is some truth in the technical scuba diving world - if you've done a deco dive not only should you do the minimum of exercise but also keep your shower cool so as to not interfere with the body's off gassing... not sure that's what the average person would be meaning though... 😂

hmmm, I'd heard (recommendations from a pot) that you shouldn't take a hot shower after diving due to the potential masking of symptoms of a DCI, rather than affecting the off-gassing process per se.

Ah... you're undoubtedly right. Thanks for the correction!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    I want to know what's prompted this question.

And to answer, yes, it's safe. If you want to be extra sure, get a shower buddy.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    If you shower at the gym just be sure to wear something on your feet I would...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    The only concern would be from a rapid temperature change, but even this risk would require an underlying medical condition.

Showering after activity is recommended and a massive risk mitigator. I remember an incident where a triathlete nearly died from a case of necrotizing fasciitis after swimming in open water. In the investigation we surmised that abrasions from shaving aided in the infection.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    To be serious for a minute, wait until you cool down. People can faint getting into a hot shower, possible causes being dehydration, low blood sugar, and low blood pressure. My sister has a lovely scar across one eyebrow when she got into a hot shower right after getting out of bed and fainted (low blood pressure runs in the family).

This could be solved by sitting on a bench for a couple of minutes with a water bottle and a small snack.
  • SandSeaSkySoul
    SandSeaSkySoul Posts: 212 Member
    edited August 2018
    mph323 wrote: »
    I suddenly find my question quite funny lol, I just remember some myths I heard from some people before that it's not safe to do so as you might get some sort of musculoskeletal spasm. But yeah, as long as you don't slip and fall in the shower... :p Thanks guys! :)

That's OK. When I was in Jr. High the myth that your shouldn't wash your hair during your period was still a firmly held belief by everyone's grandma. Nobody could ever say why, it was just so :)

eta: thanks for starting a fun thread - Thursdays can be boring :)

The belief was that keeping your arms within the air to wash then especially if you bent over to rinse your hair, you might get toxic shock syndrome because you weren't keeping your body within the position necessary for gravity, to flow the waste blood via you & thus it'd remain inside you longer, continue to circulate within you, instead of expel as quickly as gravity naturally allows it to & thereby risk potentially poisoning you!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

That's OK. When I was in Jr. High the myth that your shouldn't wash your hair during your period was still a firmly held belief by everyone's grandma. Nobody could ever say why, it was just so :)

The belief was that keeping your arms within the air to wash then especially if you bent over to rinse your hair, you might get toxic shock syndrome because you weren't keeping your body within the position necessary for gravity to flow the waste blood via you & thus it'd remain inside you longer, continue to circulate within you, instead of expel as quickly as gravity naturally allows it to, thereby potentially poisoning you!

Actually Toxic Shock Syndrome was discovered in 1978. I should have qualified that I'm 67, and my grandma(s) were born in the 1800's. :)
  • thelegendofsakura89
    thelegendofsakura89 Posts: 105 Member
    See, I wait until after I cool down to take a shower cause if I don't, I dry off, get dressed, and I'm still sweating. lol
  • SandSeaSkySoul

The belief was that keeping your arms within the air to wash then especially if you bent over to rinse your hair, you might get toxic shock syndrome because you weren't keeping your body within the position necessary for gravity to flow the waste blood via you & thus it'd remain inside you longer, continue to circulate within you, instead of expel as quickly as gravity naturally allows it to, thereby potentially poisoning you!

Actually Toxic Shock Syndrome was discovered in 1978. I should have qualified that I'm 67, and my grandma(s) were born in the 1800's. :)

Since I was born within 1980, that's how it was taught to me but for discovery & subsequent labeling it had to exist prior, however the effects were plausibly known as being something else!
  • mph323
    See, I wait until after I cool down to take a shower cause if I don't, I dry off, get dressed, and I'm still sweating. lol

I do the same. Even taking a cool shower doesn't always stop the sweating, and I hate getting into clean clothes then sweating into them. :o
  • mph323

Since I was born within 1980, that's how it was taught to me but for discovery & subsequent labeling it had to exist prior, however the effects were plausibly known as being something else!

I think each generation takes the myths from the generations before and gives them a modern spin! I didn't realize that myth was still around, I thought it died out in my parent's generation. :)
  • SandSeaSkySoul

I think each generation takes the myths from the generations before and gives them a modern spin! I didn't realize that myth was still around, I thought it died out in my parent's generation. :)

Plausibly, it has now!
  • Funkymommy88
    Funkymommy88 Posts: 15 Member
    For those who took my question seriously thank you, I appreciate your answers. :) (Btw, I'm still quite a newbie in this community, I used to have a sedentary lifestyle and just started calorie tracking and exercising in June).

It is understood that we need to tidy up, with proper cool down of course. But what I actually meant with the question was, how soon can you take a shower after exercising? e.g. 15mins, 30mins or it doesn't matter at all?

I was just wondering if there's any risk linked to having a shower immediately in a post-workout situation esp.after a vigorous one. ;)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    For those who took my question seriously thank you, I appreciate your answers. :) (Btw, I'm still quite a newbie in this community, I used to have a sedentary lifestyle and just started calorie tracking and exercising in June).

It is understood that we need to tidy up, with proper cool down of course. But what I actually meant with the question was, how soon can you take a shower after exercising? e.g. 15mins, 30mins or it doesn't matter at all?

I was just wondering if there's any risk linked to having a shower immediately in a post-workout situation esp.after a vigorous one. ;)

If your legs aren't feeling wobbly, I don't see any problem. No scientific data to back that up though.
  • mph323

I'd look at @FireOpalCO 's comment above. That makes good sense to me - I've experienced lightheadedness myself, and if you have any tendacies toward that it seems like a good precaution.