Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gullible Naive Society or Just down right Lazy?

Replies

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Yet that is the truth. My wife, with multiple advanced degrees is on some pre-packaged food program now. She's smart enough to use the food scale, that she bought years ago and weight out food and eat it.

But instead, she believes that she much have 5 small meals every day and one lean and green meal, and she cannot exercise...

Meanwhile, all I've done since 14 Feb, well really 15 Feb, since we "blew it out" with a home cook Valentines Day meal is start tracking what I eat and, following the advice of my diabetes coach/dietitian which is stay under 2250 calories/day and under 225g of carbs/day 60g/meal and 45g/day in snacks.

Other than those days where I might ride my bike for two or three hours, I pretty much follow those guidelines and have dropped over 45 pounds, seeing my A1C and BG values return to the normal range.

I was already exercising, so that wasn't the issue. Just what was on my fork.

No heroic measures.

I've spoken with people who have noticed and they ask what I'm doing. Many times it's people at the gym, so they know I was already working out. I tell them I just watch what is on the end of my fork, that you cannot outwork your fork. I've shared my food log with them. Most cannot believe it's just paying attention to what I eat. Yet, really, that's all it is.

They want to believe there is some big, external factor, some lever they can push or pull to get more benefit than effort. That's the impression I get.

It would probably be better for me if I just said I was on the bacon and donuts diet, and suggest they google it....
    PWRLFTR1 wrote: »
    When I lost all my weight, people would ask how I did it, I would say (in the simplest way) ate less, moved more, they would get the most disappointed look. So my vote is Lazy.

That's the answer that makes you feel the best about yourself.

The truth is, they were looking for more than a catch phrase. They weren't looking for a calorie count and exercise program. They were looking for honest, "how did you get past the challenges" answer.

And you gave them: I'm disciplined and you're lazy.

Bravo. Heavy sarcasm.