Intermittent fasting

Options

Replies

• SuzOh
    SuzOh Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    SuzOh wrote: »
    2nd day of intermittent fasting. I'm doing 14/10 (read it was better than 16/8 for women) and so far I'm just really hungry. I've been used to eating breakfast for years so it's rough getting up and waiting hours to eat. I don't think I ate enough yesterday, so I'm going to try to eat a little more and at least get to my calorie goal. I'm going to commit to it for a week.and then decide if it's for me. So far it's not looking good. Lol

You can try an earlier eating window (don't eat late instead of not eating early) or maybe it just isn't right for you. The key is finding a way of eating (meal schedule, macro distribution, etc) that makes it as easy as possible for you to hit the right calories and feel energetic and happy. There's no one right way. I drifted into IF when I realized I was basically forcing myself to eat breakfast. So I just started eating at lunchtime. But recently I found myself starving every morning, so I went back to eating breakfast. Hasn't changed my calorie needs at all. Good luck!

It's only been a few days so I won't let my hangry moments deter me yet. It's definitely making it easier to stay within my daily calorie and macro goals.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Tuplatano wrote: »
    I stated doing the 5:2 last week along we low carbs / no dairy... Today is actually one of my fast day.. last week I lost 6.5 lbs.. not sure that I will have the same result this week but Im hopping a least -2 or -3 lbs .
    When I did alternate day the first 2 weeks I lost big, then after that. It was a steady 2 pounds a week almost exactly.
  • Tuplatano
    Tuplatano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Tuplatano wrote: »
    I stated doing the 5:2 last week along we low carbs / no dairy... Today is actually one of my fast day.. last week I lost 6.5 lbs.. not sure that I will have the same result this week but Im hopping a least -2 or -3 lbs .
    When I did alternate day the first 2 weeks I lost big, then after that. It was a steady 2 pounds a week almost exactly.

Yes, sounds like the same protocol for any eating plan. I will be happy with -2 lbs per week though. Let see how I do when I weigh myself Saturday.
  • meagan8376
    meagan8376 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    meagan8376 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    mosspm123 wrote: »
    2nd day of intermittent fasting. I'm doing 14/10 (read it was better than 16/8 for women) and so far I'm just really hungry. I've been used to eating breakfast for years so it's rough getting up and waiting hours to eat. I don't think I ate enough yesterday, so I'm going to try to eat a little more and at least get to my calorie goal. I'm going to commit to it for a week.and then decide if it's for me. So far it's not looking good. Lol

Oh, and I forgot to add, apple cider vinegar and green tea also speed up weight loss :)

^ Ignore this, it’s diet woo straight off the Dr. Oz show. There is no evidence whatsoever that apple cider vinegar or green tea help in any way with weight loss.

Oh, and I forgot to add, apple cider vinegar and green tea also speed up weight loss :)

^ Ignore this, it’s diet woo straight off the Dr. Oz show. There is no evidence whatsoever that apple cider vinegar or green tea help in any way with weight loss.

I wonder why it works for some people though.
    It doesn’t. If it *appears* to work, it’s because they somehow lowered their calorie intake. Maybe the ACV or tea somehow tricked them into doing it, but there’s nothing about either of those substances themselves that will cause/speed up weight loss.

Because the only way you lose weight is by consuming less calories than you expend. Period.

Well if it helps to curb appetite, then it does help in weightloss.

What if I told you there was no proof that it helps to curb appetite?

Doesn't green tea have caffine in it ?

Yes. Somewhere around 15-25% of the amount of caffeine found in coffee. And there's no evidence that coffee significantly affects weight loss either. But I suppose if you wanted to drink a few gallons of green tea per day, it may speed up your metabolism enough to maybe amount to burning an extra 10-15 calories or so per day. Which is far inside the error you'll find in measuring your foods, even with a food scale.

Caffeine has been found to be mildly helpful with weight loss. But the amounts used are far in excess of what you'd get from drinking a cup (or even a few cups) of green tea. The green tea thing is just another silly Dr. Oz myth, like raspberry ketones, green coffee bean extract, hoodia, etc..

There has to be some truth to caffeine curbing appetite that's why it's in a lot of weight loss pills.

I know if I drink coffee my appetite and cravings are gone..and Diet Coke.

You seem to be searching for the "magic pill" that will help your weight loss. There isn't one. There are fads and things that get trendy but the bottom line is eating less calories than you burn. The sooner one gets focused on that and not all the gimmicks, the sooner you start seeing results.

Things like caffeine and other gimmicks give you a <.5% advantage if at all. Intermittent fasting can be an advantage for some to hit calorie goals. Not for others. Some people try to make it more complicated than that but it's not.

You’re wrong 😊I’m not looking for diet pills. I’ve lost 30 pounds thus far with exercise and eating everything I like.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

It doesn’t. If it *appears* to work, it’s because they somehow lowered their calorie intake. Maybe the ACV or tea somehow tricked them into doing it, but there’s nothing about either of those substances themselves that will cause/speed up weight loss.

Because the only way you lose weight is by consuming less calories than you expend. Period.

Yes. Somewhere around 15-25% of the amount of caffeine found in coffee. And there's no evidence that coffee significantly affects weight loss either. But I suppose if you wanted to drink a few gallons of green tea per day, it may speed up your metabolism enough to maybe amount to burning an extra 10-15 calories or so per day. Which is far inside the error you'll find in measuring your foods, even with a food scale.

Caffeine has been found to be mildly helpful with weight loss. But the amounts used are far in excess of what you'd get from drinking a cup (or even a few cups) of green tea. The green tea thing is just another silly Dr. Oz myth, like raspberry ketones, green coffee bean extract, hoodia, etc..

There has to be some truth to caffeine curbing appetite that's why it's in a lot of weight loss pills.

You seem to be searching for the "magic pill" that will help your weight loss. There isn't one. There are fads and things that get trendy but the bottom line is eating less calories than you burn. The sooner one gets focused on that and not all the gimmicks, the sooner you start seeing results.

Things like caffeine and other gimmicks give you a <.5% advantage if at all. Intermittent fasting can be an advantage for some to hit calorie goals. Not for others. Some people try to make it more complicated than that but it's not.

You’re wrong 😊I’m not looking for diet pills. I’ve lost 30 pounds thus far with exercise and eating everything I like.

Not diet pills. You missed my point. The "magic pill". The trick. Apple Cider Vinegar, green tea, IF. Those are all "magic pills". Possibly I'm wrong but you've argued for their effectiveness. Reread the part I bolded from my post above. Great that you've lost 30 lbs already with diet and exercise! That is the real way to do it and not green tea and ACV. That is my point.

That's the real way to do it but who doesn't have little tricks and help with little things like that throughout weight loss journey.
    My little thing is to drink coffee for a boost of engery and to curb my appetite. The same might be for people who suggest green tea and ACV.

I think you should read back through the last 20 post or so. There are no little tricks that have any impact in an way that is not very subjective and really based on preference. Coffee might give you a little (nervous) energy but there is no evidence it curbs appetite. This stuff is all woo except as it relates to your preference and keeps you in plan.

Coffee and a little carbs gives me great focus for a great weight training session. Protein and high fiber carbs gives me high dietary satiety. Are there people like me? A few. But more not.

Each individual has to work out what works best for them and there are no shortcuts. There is not universal application for things like ACV and green tea. Or even coffee for that matter. I think you are just barking up the wrong tree. Multiple people with lots of experience have told you this. But you keep coming back with "yeah but....". Ok, go spend a lot of time to find out for yourself what others already have. People are giving you the benefit of their hard earned experience but you are disputing it. So, go find out for yourself.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Not diet pills. You missed my point. The "magic pill". The trick. Apple Cider Vinegar, green tea, IF. Those are all "magic pills". Possibly I'm wrong but you've argued for their effectiveness. Reread the part I bolded from my post above. Great that you've lost 30 lbs already with diet and exercise! That is the real way to do it and not green tea and ACV. That is my point.

That's the real way to do it but who doesn't have little tricks and help with little things like that throughout weight loss journey.
    My little thing is to drink coffee for a boost of engery and to curb my appetite. The same might be for people who suggest green tea and ACV.

I think you should read back through the last 20 post or so. There are no little tricks that have any impact in an way that is not very subjective and really based on preference. Coffee might give you a little (nervous) energy but there is no evidence it curbs appetite. This stuff is all woo except as it relates to your preference and keeps you in plan.

Coffee and a little carbs gives me great focus for a great weight training session. Protein and high fiber carbs gives me high dietary satiety. Are there people like me? A few. But more not.

Each individual has to work out what works best for them and there are no shortcuts. There is not universal application for things like ACV and green tea. Or even coffee for that matter. I think you are just barking up the wrong tree. Multiple people with lots of experience have told you this. But you keep coming back with "yeah but....". Ok, go spend a lot of time to find out for yourself what others already have. People are giving you the benefit of their hard earned experience but you are disputing it. So, go find out for yourself.

I will.add ome note so we try to get back on topic, power of the placebo is real... And is very powerful. Sometimes believing something is working, can help keep you focused. There isnt evidence that supports BCAAs help with recovery, but people believe it does... And they keep taking it because they are making gains.