Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    mosspm123 wrote: »
    SuzOh wrote: »
    2nd day of intermittent fasting. I'm doing 14/10 (read it was better than 16/8 for women) and so far I'm just really hungry. I've been used to eating breakfast for years so it's rough getting up and waiting hours to eat. I don't think I ate enough yesterday, so I'm going to try to eat a little more and at least get to my calorie goal. I'm going to commit to it for a week.and then decide if it's for me. So far it's not looking good. Lol

Oh, and I forgot to add, apple cider vinegar and green tea also speed up weight loss :)

^ Ignore this, it’s diet woo straight off the Dr. Oz show. There is no evidence whatsoever that apple cider vinegar or green tea help in any way with weight loss.

All of this^^^ all day long.
  • meagan8376
    meagan8376 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    2nd day of intermittent fasting. I'm doing 14/10 (read it was better than 16/8 for women) and so far I'm just really hungry. I've been used to eating breakfast for years so it's rough getting up and waiting hours to eat. I don't think I ate enough yesterday, so I'm going to try to eat a little more and at least get to my calorie goal. I'm going to commit to it for a week.and then decide if it's for me. So far it's not looking good. Lol

Oh, and I forgot to add, apple cider vinegar and green tea also speed up weight loss :)

^ Ignore this, it’s diet woo straight off the Dr. Oz show. There is no evidence whatsoever that apple cider vinegar or green tea help in any way with weight loss.

I wonder why it works for some people though.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    meagan8376 wrote: »

What do you mean by "it works"? It works if it helps control hunger and calories. But there is not evidence that it does more than that. I've done it for years. If I eat in the morning, I am hungrier all day long. But I can put off eating without hunger indefinitely. I usually eat a moderate protein based mid day meal and a substantial dinner. Tonight was a 12 oz NY strip with roasted fingerling potatoes, grilled baby onions and a salad with a couple of glasses of wine. Stayed within my calories for the day. So, it worked.

Not everyone is like me. Some people need to eat in the morning for whatever reason. Blood sugar, habit, energy level, whatever. For them, IF doesn't work. There is nothing more to it than that. There is no magic and I can't really comment in any kind of charitable way to the woo and myth by the poster quoted by AnvilHead, so let my lack of comment speak for itself.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

It doesn’t. If it *appears* to work, it’s because they somehow lowered their calorie intake. Maybe the ACV or tea somehow tricked them into doing it, but there’s nothing about either of those substances themselves that will cause/speed up weight loss.

Because the only way you lose weight is by consuming less calories than you expend. Period.

Well if it helps to curb appetite, then it does help in weightloss.

What if I told you there was no proof that it helps to curb appetite?
  • meagan8376
    Options

It doesn’t. If it *appears* to work, it’s because they somehow lowered their calorie intake. Maybe the ACV or tea somehow tricked them into doing it, but there’s nothing about either of those substances themselves that will cause/speed up weight loss.

Because the only way you lose weight is by consuming less calories than you expend. Period.

Doesn't green tea have caffine in it ?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Some caffeine, yes. Caffeine makes me jittery and my brain interprets that as hungry. So for me, green tea could cause weight gain. I wouldn't go so far as to make that a universal claim for all people.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

The taste of ACV itself would kill my appetite, so you’re right there. But it still does nothing for weight loss.
    The taste...how about just the smell 😂😂
  • meagan8376
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Some caffeine, yes. Caffeine makes me jittery and my brain interprets that as hungry. So for me, green tea could cause weight gain. I wouldn't go so far as to make that a universal claim for all people.

You get jittery with green tea?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

Yes. Somewhere around 15-25% of the amount of caffeine found in coffee. And there's no evidence that coffee significantly affects weight loss either. But I suppose if you wanted to drink a few gallons of green tea per day, it may speed up your metabolism enough to maybe amount to burning an extra 10-15 calories or so per day. Which is far inside the error you'll find in measuring your foods, even with a food scale.

Caffeine has been found to be mildly helpful with weight loss. But the amounts used are far in excess of what you'd get from drinking a cup (or even a few cups) of green tea. The green tea thing is just another silly Dr. Oz myth, like raspberry ketones, green coffee bean extract, hoodia, etc..

Well maybe a bit more because of the calories burned from having to walk to and from the loo with all that extra liquid...