Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent Fasting/Clean Fasting Debate

Options

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    I do not know why people claim that the IF research that has been done is garbage...how do you know??? Can you guarantee me that every bit of IF research is done by a quack???

BBC has a great documentary called the Science of Fasting.

Personally I think giving your body a rest from eating is a good thing (and I don't mean just while you are sleeping).

Honestly, I think it has to do with what people have been told to think. And a laziness at finding the truth. If someone where actually curious...like me.. they'd Google it themselves.

My doctor, who is the first one to say not to do something, said it was good. I would trust my doctor over someone on a message board lol

HAHAHAHA! Sorry..... trust your doctor on matters of nutrition? Nope.... I would trust Anvil over a doctor. Mine told me, a 400lbs 6'2-3" man to eat 1600 cals a day and exercise hard!! LOL
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I think you can find both good and bad research for anything...the 5 small meals a day way of eating, I have yet to see any research that shows that it is a better way vs another way. Regardless that would never work for me...no interest in doing that. IF worked for me because I know myself well enough to know that counting points/calories, fat grams, etc. etc. will not be sustainable and in doing IF it seemed to work for me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I think you can find both good and bad research for anything...the 5 small meals a day way of eating, I have yet to see any research that shows that it is a better way vs another way. Regardless that would never work for me...no interest in doing that. IF worked for me because I know myself well enough to know that counting points/calories, fat grams, etc. etc. will not be sustainable and in doing IF it seemed to work for me.

Yeah, if someone tried to claim that eating five small meals a day provided unique benefits, I would be skeptical of that claim too.

Maybe a bit of a sidebar, but it depends on the context. Eric Helms has recently cited research (I think it was his own, but not sure and not at my computer right now) that for bodybuilders/people trying to maximize muscle protein synthesis, the most optimal approach is meals with 30-50g protein spaced 3-4 hours apart throughout the day.

A specialized context for very specific purposes, but evidence-based research nonetheless.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Yeah, if someone tried to claim that eating five small meals a day provided unique benefits, I would be skeptical of that claim too.

Maybe a bit of a sidebar, but it depends on the context. Eric Helms has recently cited research (I think it was his own, but not sure and not at my computer right now) that for bodybuilders/people trying to maximize muscle protein synthesis, the most optimal approach is meals with 30-50g protein spaced 3-4 hours apart throughout the day.

A specialized context for very specific purposes, but evidence-based research nonetheless.

Dr. Brad Schoenfeld has the same recommendation based on his latest research for those trying to maximize muscle gain.