Feeling guilty of eating 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    everyone is saying 1200 is not enough - that is what myfitnesspal set for me - of course I get more if I exercise? really confused?

Figure out your TDEE
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Eat at a deficit of this.
    Lose weight.

Simple.

Follow her advice. :smile: Everyone has different calorie needs to lose/maintain/gain. 1200 + exercise calories is "right" for some and not for others. :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Food should not = guilt.

Food = Fuel. Your body needs it to operate. Do you feel guilty if you fill up the gas tank in your car?
    LOL I find it funny that MFP automatically assumes that I need 1200 calories. It figured that amount when I was 175 pounds and again at 140.

It doesn't automatically assume that. It deducts a set number of calories from your calculated needs. That set number of calories depends on how much you say you want to lose a week. That amount you chose might or might not have been correct.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Apologise for being blunt but if it is not enough calories MFP would not autimatically set this!

I can guarentee you that if I ate anymore than 1200 I would not loose weight.

My stats:
    Weight 10 St 4 Lbs
    Height: 5 ft 4 inch
    Highest weight: 12 st 8
    Lowest weight 10 st 4

I'm the same height as you and around the same weight. I've lost almost 30 pounds eating more than 1200 calories a day. I can absolutely guarantee you would lose weight eating more than 1200 calories a day.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I always eat anywhere from 1200-1400 calories a day. Normally no more than 1400. There is no need to eat more than 1400 calories a day, especially if your losing weight or trying too. Your body goes into starvation mode if you eat less than that, but your body wont go into starvation mode at 1200. I work in an office that the chief of Medicine works at and those are his words. Between 1200-1400 calories is sufficient. Your body maintains at 1400, you lose at 1200. Given if you are seriously overweight, you would probably lose eating a bit more than that as well or someone trying to put on tons of muscle but eventually when your body gets down to an ideal weight 1200 is losing, 1400 is maintaining and anything above that typically is gaining.

I know everyone has different opinions, just sharing what I've learned, experienced and have been taught by our doctors. =)

:noway:
  • brandyme
    brandyme Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    everyone is saying 1200 is not enough - that is what myfitnesspal set for me - of course I get more if I exercise? really confused?

MFP is giving you a 1200 NET calorie goal, not 1200 total. I think that is the confusion here. If you add in any activity you get more calories to eat to make up for the extra fuel your body needs. I would really only use their guided calorie NET goal if you have a good way to track your TDEE, such as a calorie tracker like BodyMedia, FitBit, Jawbone Up, etc.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I always eat anywhere from 1200-1400 calories a day. Normally no more than 1400. There is no need to eat more than 1400 calories a day, especially if your losing weight or trying too. Your body goes into starvation mode if you eat less than that, but your body wont go into starvation mode at 1200. I work in an office that the chief of Medicine works at and those are his words. Between 1200-1400 calories is sufficient. Your body maintains at 1400, you lose at 1200. Given if you are seriously overweight, you would probably lose eating a bit more than that as well or someone trying to put on tons of muscle but eventually when your body gets down to an ideal weight 1200 is losing, 1400 is maintaining and anything above that typically is gaining.

I know everyone has different opinions, just sharing what I've learned, experienced and have been taught by our doctors. =)

Total and utter bull pucky.
  • brandyme
    Options

Most people who say that 1200 is not enough are either male, younger than 45, or exercise on a regular basis.

For an average middle aged woman who doesn't do a lot of exercise, 1200 can be appropriate.
    It all depends on your particular situation.

And MFP is set up to eat more when you exercise. Not everyone needs to do that, but many do.

This may work for you as far as weight loss is concerned.. but to be healthy I seriously suggest eating more even if you're a woman over 45! Follow TDEE or at least BMR!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Total and utter bull pucky.

Agreed, I've worked with quite a few doctors that actually want to help people. Everyone has different caloric needs. To sit here and say that no one needs more than 1400 calories is crap and possibly harmful to newbies.
  • brandyme
    Options
    Apologise for being blunt but if it is not enough calories MFP would not autimatically set this!

My stats:
    Weight 10 St 4 Lbs
    Lowest weight 10 st 4

MFP doesn't set it like that... MFP is giving you NET not Gross. I would re-evaluate if I were you. You're probably losing muscle not fat. :( Sad.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

My stats:
    Weight 10 St 4 Lbs
    Lowest weight 10 st 4

Guess what...I eat more than 1200 calories a day and I've lost...wait for it...wait for it...44 lbs!!! HOLY SMOKES...Mind blown...

I'm 5'5".
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you're feeling guilty for eating. And I doubt everyone would be telling you something that is incorrect. In saying that, if you feel guilty for eating 1200, then it's a waste of time to tell you to do a bit more research that goes beyond what MFP has set for you and you'll find that increasing your calories will assist in your weight loss. But I said it anyway.

Good luck...
  • Choobey
    Choobey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's bodies are different. My goal is to eat 1200 calories a day as well and I do go over sometimes, but not on days that I work out (cause I get the extra calories back). I try not to eat all my workout added calories and that has made a difference. If I eat the calories I burn I stay at a plateau. I think you should try to just eat healthy and try to stay within your caloric range, but if you go over it shouldn't be because you decided to eat a cheeseburger, it should be because you were eating healthy foods for you. That should help you continue to lose even if you go over your calories for the day.
  • brandyme
    Options

My stats:
    Weight 10 St 4 Lbs
    Lowest weight 10 st 4

Guess what...I eat more than 1200 calories a day and I've lost...wait for it...wait for it...44 lbs!!! HOLY SMOKES...Mind blown...

Good point. Check the ticker! I've lost 52lbs and eat close to 2000 calories every day! Of course I workout a lot, but even if I didn't I would eat 1600 - 1700 a day and still lose weight. There is a science to it people... 1200 calories flat for all of us... do you really think that science would work? :noway:
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I must be a special snowflake... I'm eating around 2,000 calories a day (more when I eat back my exercise cals) and while yes, I am breastfeeding a baby, I'm still waay above your 1400 maintenance, and yet, I'm steadily losing weight.

It's not about a set number, it's about what each individual body requires based on a variety of factors. For you, perhaps those numbers work, but they don't for everyone, and may not for the OP.

I must be crazy too, I maintain on around 2400 calories. I eat 1800 to lose weight. On long run days I probably eat an upwards of 2500 calories and don't think twice. I'll probably eat 1400 calories in one sitting after I run my half in November. Everyone is different and everyone's body is different. For instance the less you weigh the lower (typically unless you're really active) your maintenance will be, but for most people its definitely over 1400 calories. Hell my BMR is almost 1400 calories.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

:noway:
    Ditto on the :noway: ! What a blanket statement. I consistently lose 1-2lbs a week by maintaining an average weekly calorie deficit of 3500-7000 calories. Sometimes this translates to eating over 2000 calories a day! I would be the grouchiest person on the planet if I only got to eat 1200 calories a day and I would be losing something like 7lbs a week because that is too big of a deficit for me, because I exercise. And any doctor who believes in "starvation mode" needs to go back and get more education.
  • brandyme
    Options
    I think everyone's bodies are different. My goal is to eat 1200 calories a day as well and I do go over sometimes, but not on days that I work out (cause I get the extra calories back). I try not to eat all my workout added calories and that has made a difference. If I eat the calories I burn I stay at a plateau. I think you should try to just eat healthy and try to stay within your caloric range, but if you go over it shouldn't be because you decided to eat a cheeseburger, it should be because you were eating healthy foods for you. That should help you continue to lose even if you go over your calories for the day.

Ok, I totally give up on this thread at this point. :huh:

This should be the "WHAT NOT TO DO" thread.... I suggest to do some homework if you are only eating 1200 cal a day... that goes for anybody eating 1200 cal a day... it's just not enough. Sad, very sad.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    It is sad and frustrating that you've been shamed into thinking that 1200 calories is too much, when in fact it is very likely starving you slowly, and killing your metabolism. If you want to lose weight and preserve your health, eat more. Eat quality foods that support your life and activity level. If you want to kill your metabolism and happiness and fuel your workouts with precious muscle instead of fat, keep eating 1200 or less.

Agreed! Let go of the guilt - there are some great books by Geneen Roth that can help with feeling guilty. Fat is a Feminine Issue is an oldie but a goodie too - no reason you should try to subsist on too little calories.
  • deksgrl
    Options

MFP calculates your estimated calorie needs just for daily life, without exercise. It figures out your BMR (the amount just to keep your organs functioning-the number they would feed you in a coma), plus they use a multiplier for how active you say you are in your daily life not including exercise. For discussion's sake, lets say that number of BMR + regular activity is 1900 calories.

Then you pick how many pounds per week you want to lose. It takes that 1900 and subtracts a flat number of calories. 500 calories is deducted if you pick 1 pound a week. 750 is deducted for 1.5 pounds a week. 1,000 is deducted for 2 pounds a week. But it will not go below a minimum of 1200 calories. So if your number is 1900 and you pick anything other than 1 pound a week or less, you are going to get 1200 calories.

This isn't appropriate or attainable for some people. Because....

Remember that BMR number, the amount they would feed you in a coma? MOST people have a BMR of more than 1200. Mine is in the 1400's. I ate 1200 calories for the first two weeks I came here and guess what, I was slow, starving and couldn't think straight.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but that is not true. If you go over your TDEE, you will gain weight. it doesn't matter whether it was a Big Mac or tofu with bean sprouts.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I thought this post was going to be about feeling guilty when you at 1200 because it's too little because of all the crazy posts and the MFP warning about starvation mode. :laugh: