Options

Replies

• megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
  • acullen31
    acullen31 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Your body maintains at 1400, you lose at 1200.

You really think this is the same for everyone, except the "seriously overweight"? That shows that you really don't understand weight loss or calorie deficits. Do you know that if you really maintain at 1400, you would lose less than half a lb per week (not saying that's a bad thing--my point is that most people would lose more than that on 1200 calories and that they would maintain on much higher than 1400)? My maintenance calories are around 2100. If I wanted to bulk, I'd aim for around 2300 or so. If I want to cut, I aim for between 1600-1900. And I'm a 5'4" female. Many people, especially men but also women, need many more calories.

2100 calories is a lot of calories. Eating clean and healthy, I would have a tremendously hard time eating that many calories. What are you eating? And no, I don't think it's the same for everyone. Of course everyone is different. For me, that's true. I do 60 min of cardio 6 days a week. I'm training for a half marathon I try to eat as healthy and nutritious as possible and me eating 1400 calories is working. Of course some days I may go a little over, but realistically eating healthy food it's hard for me to get a lot of calories. I eat small meals throughout the day.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    2100 calories is a lot of calories. Eating clean and healthy, I would have a tremendously hard time eating that many calories. What are you eating? And no, I don't think it's the same for everyone. Of course everyone is different. For me, that's true. I do 60 min of cardio 6 days a week. I'm training for a half marathon I try to eat as healthy and nutritious as possible and me eating 1400 calories is working. Of course some days I may go a little over, but realistically eating healthy food it's hard for me to get a lot of calories. I eat small meals throughout the day.

2100 calories, no problem. Any day of the week.

Breakfast:
    1 greek Yogurt, 2 cheese sticks, coffee w/ cream & sugar, V8 low sodium juice, handful of almonds, 1 cup milk with 1 scoop protein powder = ~900 calories

Lunch:
    A pita wrap with grilled chicken & veggies = ~400 calories

Dinner:
    8 ounces of some kind of meat, a side dish like rice, veggies or a salad = ~ 700 calories.

Easy.
    Or if I skip the almonds in the morning or the protein shake, then I can have ice cream after dinner.
  • acullen31
    Options
    Also, Just anyone who is so set that your body goes into starvation mode when eating around 1200 calories I'm 5'3, 126 lbs. My blood work is perfect, my BMI is awesome. I'm active, I work out 6 days a week and I eat 1200-1400 calories a day. Healthy foods. Veggies, Fruits, whole grains. I'm never hungry. I eat small meals through out the day. I drink protein shakes. Please tell me that i'm starving.
  • acullen31
    Options

2100 calories, no problem. Any day of the week.

Breakfast:
    1 greek Yogurt, 2 cheese sticks, coffee w/ cream & sugar, V8 low sodium juice, handful of almonds, 1 cup milk with 1 scoop protein powder = ~900 calories

Lunch:
    A pita wrap with grilled chicken & veggies = ~400 calories

Dinner:
    8 ounces of some kind of meat, a side dish like rice, veggies or a salad = ~ 700 calories.

Easy.
    Or if I skip the almonds in the morning or the protein shake, then I can have ice cream after dinner.

That's a tremendous amount of food for breakfast. I would have to shove that much down my throat, but if it's working for you Great! =)
  • deksgrl
    Options

That's a tremendous amount of food for breakfast. I would have to shove that much down my throat, but if it's working for you Great! =)

I don't eat it all at once. I have it over a period of about 3 hours typically. I have my coffee. Then I work out. Then I have the protein shake. Then an hour or 2 later I'm hungry again and have the yogurt and cheese sticks and juice. I don't always have the almonds. If I have had the protein shake then I don't always need them. But those are a quick 200 calories right there by itself.
  • acullen31
    Options

I don't eat it all at once. I have it over a period of about 3 hours typically. I have my coffee. Then I work out. Then I have the protein shake. Then an hour or 2 later I'm hungry again and have the yogurt and cheese sticks and juice. I don't always have the almonds. If I have had the protein shake then I don't always need them. But those are a quick 200 calories right there by itself.

Also, I added all that into MFP, giving the benefit of the doubt and adding full fat stuff, and that all comes up to just a little over 700 calories. Like I said it's hard getting that many calories in
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

You really think this is the same for everyone, except the "seriously overweight"? That shows that you really don't understand weight loss or calorie deficits. Do you know that if you really maintain at 1400, you would lose less than half a lb per week (not saying that's a bad thing--my point is that most people would lose more than that on 1200 calories and that they would maintain on much higher than 1400)? My maintenance calories are around 2100. If I wanted to bulk, I'd aim for around 2300 or so. If I want to cut, I aim for between 1600-1900. And I'm a 5'4" female. Many people, especially men but also women, need many more calories.

2100 isn't a lot for me and it's easy for me to eat 2100 (or 2500 for that matter). I said 2100 are my maintenance calories. I averaged 2200 in July and for the past week, I've averaged 1800. I eat chicken, vegetables, fruit, eggs, breads, chips, ice cream, peanut butter, PB2....um.... cheese... lots of stuff. I think my diary is open. When I'm eating around maintenance, I have about 500 calories worth of fruit in a day, a couple hundred in veggies, a few hundred in chicken and/or eggs, some cheese and/or peanut butter and the rest in stuff I'm guessing you wouldn't consider "clean" or healthy :wink:

ETA my goal is to get 100+ grams of protein, 45+ grams of fat and plenty of fruits and veggies. :happy:
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    everyone is saying 1200 is not enough - that is what myfitnesspal set for me - of course I get more if I exercise? really confused?

Figure out your TDEE
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Eat at a deficit of this.
    Lose weight.

Simple.

To clarify, the number MFP sets is NET, so if MFP sets it at 1,400 net, and you eat 1,400 calories, and exercise that burns off 600, your net calories are only 800. You need to eat the 600 calories that you burned off so your NET caloric intake is 1,400.
  • Vakers123
    Options
    Sorry - replied to wrong post...
  • deksgrl
    Options

Also, I added all that into MFP, giving the benefit of the doubt and adding full fat stuff, and that all comes up to just a little over 700 calories. Like I said it's hard getting that many calories in

White Sugar - White Granulated Sugar, 1.5 teaspoon 23
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1 cup (8 fl oz) 2
    Sorrento Stringsters - Mozzarella String Cheese, 2 stick 160
    Chobani Greek Yogurt - 2% Strawberry-Banana Low-Fat, 6 oz (170g) 160
    Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 1 cup 122
    Body Fortress - Whey Protein Powder - Chocolate, 1 Scoop 160
    Cream - Half and half, 0.5 fl oz 20
    Almond - Nuts - Almond - Raw, 30 almonds 210
    Campbell - V8 Original 100% Vegetable Juice - Large Low Sodium , 11.5 FL OZ 70

Total: 927
  • megalin9
    Options

You literally said that your doctors said that 1200-1400 calories is all anybody needs.
  • megalin9
    Options
    double post
  • Vakers123
    Options
    I've never liked eating since childhood, not anorexic, just don't mind being hungry and dislike chewing (extremely picky eater). My kids have been telling me for years that I don't eat enough... But when you're "fat" you cut back, right?? And when you still don't lose weight, you cut back more, eating the light versions of everything. When that doesn't get results, you eat half of the lite versions that you were eating and only eat twice/day at the most. When I found out I was diabetic 3 months ago, my doctor sent me to a dietician to help me figure out what and how much to eat. She told me to target 1400 cal. to lose weight. I said I never eat more than 1200 and she replied that was 'too difficult to get down to'. When I tracked my food on this app, I discovered that I was only eating between 600-900 cal./day. It took 2 weeks to get to 1200 and I've lost over 20 lbs. since May! My daily carb target is 45gm (3 net carbs)/meal (x3) and 15gm (1 net carb) per snack (x 3). Feels crazy to double my calorie intake and lose weight, but it seems to be working! Of course, I have to factor in fats and proteins, but I tend to worry about the carbs more at this point. Still learning! I find out my "numbers" in a couple of weeks.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    You may be interested in this post - please read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1068917-my-1200-calorie-story
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Has anyone feeling guilty of eating 1200 calories. I used to think that weight loss is about starving, now that I joined MFP I cant believe that 1200calories will make me loose weight. *unbelievable*

I must say I lost few inches in my waists and thighs though nothing on scale. I do eat 1200 sometimes but honestly do feel guilty as if Im eating too much.

I went to a nutritionist to help with my weight and diet plan. MFP said 1500 and my nutritionist said to do 1700.
    Maybe go to a doctor first to get the true amount. The doctor knows more then some algebraic equation they have for MFP. Love the tracking and great support on this site!!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options

Yes 1400 calories a day may work FOR YOU. Everyone has different biomechanics. You'r BMR appears to be 1350...so eating 1400 could work. My BMR is 1600, so eating 1400/day would NOT work. I also don't know what your TDEE is, but mine is 2600. I try to eat 1900-2100 per day and have been losing 1-2 pounds per week. That's science.

BTW, I'm training for a marathon, and on my long run days my daily burn is above 4000. I would not be able to function if I didn't eat at least 2500-3000 calories on those days. Blanket statements like people gain weight when eating above 1400 are not correct, so please don't give that as advice.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I always eat anywhere from 1200-1400 calories a day. Normally no more than 1400. There is no need to eat more than 1400 calories a day, especially if your losing weight or trying too. Your body goes into starvation mode if you eat less than that, but your body wont go into starvation mode at 1200. I work in an office that the chief of Medicine works at and those are his words. Between 1200-1400 calories is sufficient. Your body maintains at 1400, you lose at 1200. Given if you are seriously overweight, you would probably lose eating a bit more than that as well or someone trying to put on tons of muscle but eventually when your body gets down to an ideal weight 1200 is losing, 1400 is maintaining and anything above that typically is gaining.

I know everyone has different opinions, just sharing what I've learned, experienced and have been taught by our doctors. =)

What!!?
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

How the eff are you training for a half marathon and only eating 1400 calories a day??? I would be passing out by the fourth mile. When you start running the full distance, you're going to use up all the calories you eat in a day in your run alone. Food is fuel, and suggesting to people that they need to work out so much and eat so little to be in shape is really not a good idea. You're going to wreak havoc on your body long term if you keep it up.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes feel guilty for eating 1200 calories.
    For breakfast.

It's a bit lower than I should be eating.