Tummy surgery after 180 pound weight loss [warning - some graphic pics]

Replies

• trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I don't think I posted this here, if I did, oops, if not - well here's the video my doctor posted of my surgery.

https://youtu.be/C2RZD5pXPLg

I'm delighted to be able to see clearly just what they do. Thank you, and I hope you gave an uneventful recovery.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Weird update:

Oh wow!!!! Now that I no longer have to wear my compression contraption that my doctor put on me 24/7 (except for bathing), and can wear other compression garments (Spanx, compression tights), I am sleeping better. The post-op compression garment IS NOT COMFORTABLE!!!! My compression tights are so much nicer. I do still have to wear some form of compression garment for the next 4-6 weeks, but at least I can rotate them depending on what I'm doing. Spanx for wearing my regular clothes and my running tights for everyday, sleeping, and just lounging around the house.

That's great to hear! How do you get the Spanx on and off without hurting yourself? It seems like struggling to pull them up would be painful.

Also, how much numbness do you have at the moment?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    edited August 2018
    Weird update:

Oh wow!!!! Now that I no longer have to wear my compression contraption that my doctor put on me 24/7 (except for bathing), and can wear other compression garments (Spanx, compression tights), I am sleeping better. The post-op compression garment IS NOT COMFORTABLE!!!! My compression tights are so much nicer. I do still have to wear some form of compression garment for the next 4-6 weeks, but at least I can rotate them depending on what I'm doing. Spanx for wearing my regular clothes and my running tights for everyday, sleeping, and just lounging around the house.

That's great to hear! How do you get the Spanx on and off without hurting yourself? It seems like struggling to pull them up would be painful.

Also, how much numbness do you have at the moment?

@rheddmobile
    Interestingly enough, the abdominalplasty area isn't in pain, slightly sore, but not in pain so getting Spanx on doesn't hurt. The lipo areas are still a lot more sore. To put on Spanx.... carefully. It might not hurt, but I am mindful of the suture area so I take care with it. It's a slow process, but basically I roll the upper (stomach area) part of the Spanx down (like and unrolled condom) and get my legs into the shorts area. I fully pull up the Spanx to my groin region, then unroll the upper portion up my abdomen. Once they are mostly on i adjust as needed for comfort. It is still quicker than getting my first compression garment on.

Very little numbness, a small area near the center of my scar (center from left to right) has some numbness on the skin.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Week 2 Recovery Update:

Drains finally removed!!! I no longer have to wear the compression contraption, now I get to wear normal compression gear for the next 4-6 weeks. This includes Spanx, compression tights, and compression wraps (like the one's for the abdomen for post birth).

Most of my swelling is gone (yay, no more cankles!) from the rest of my body excluding abdomen. I can still feel my stomach being swollen and distended. Even more bruising is gone, and the bruising that my post surgery compression contraption was causing will be going away as well.

I'm feeling good and moving around pretty well. Went for a 30 minute walk on the treadmill yesterday (at a whopping 2.5mph!). I celebrated my last drain being removed by going out to dinner with my daughter. With the drain in I wasn't comfortable leaving the house too much.

e9prgjfcjkbp.jpg

Your belly button is probably the best I have seen in a tummy tuck surgery. I have been planning for years to get me a mommy package. I'm hoping when I finally drop some weight and am able to afford the surgery that I heal as good as you have been. Congrats on your weight loss.. And tummy tuck! 😁

Thanks. I've seen a lot of bad post-op bellybuttons. My doctor did a great job fixing mine, and the whole tummy-tuck.

What Dr did you use.. And where at.. I'm willing to travel for a good Dr.. To do my mommy package

Dr. Mark Jabor, El Paso Tx. Here's the video of my surgery if you're interested. He's really good, and very thorough. The whole staff is really nice as well.

https://youtu.be/C2RZD5pXPLg

This is very intense. I’ve watched other tummy tucks but it’d be a whole new ballpark watching yourself yanno.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    jules81 wrote: »
    Wow amazing i hope to get to goal ( eventally)and will have lost 210 lbs so am going to need surgery ( only 50 lbs down so far) this is inspiring. It keeps me going xxx

@jules81
    You'll get there! Now plastic surgery isn't cheap. I saved up for mine while losing weight. Part of it was I would save 1/2 the money I saved from groceries (eat less food = buy less groceries) in an account. Then, instead of buying rewards for myself, I would bank $20 for every goal I hit. After that I notified friends and family, that I was saving up for a much needed tummy-tuck and ask for donations instead of gifts for Christmas. Slowly I saved up the money (and then some). My surgery with lipo came to just over $12,000.

I also recommend waiting about 1 year after you lose the weight to have surgery. First: some skin may shrink back. My face and arms do not look like I lost 185lbs, very little loose skin. Belly - nope, belly-flap that needed removing. Second, waiting a year insures that you know you can keep the weight off long term. I've seen too many people lose weight, then gain it all back as soon as they stop dieting.

Mine was $10,000!
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Wow amazing i hope to get to goal ( eventally)and will have lost 210 lbs so am going to need surgery ( only 50 lbs down so far) this is inspiring. It keeps me going xxx

@jules81
    You'll get there! Now plastic surgery isn't cheap. I saved up for mine while losing weight. Part of it was I would save 1/2 the money I saved from groceries (eat less food = buy less groceries) in an account. Then, instead of buying rewards for myself, I would bank $20 for every goal I hit. After that I notified friends and family, that I was saving up for a much needed tummy-tuck and ask for donations instead of gifts for Christmas. Slowly I saved up the money (and then some). My surgery with lipo came to just over $12,000.

I also recommend waiting about 1 year after you lose the weight to have surgery. First: some skin may shrink back. My face and arms do not look like I lost 185lbs, very little loose skin. Belly - nope, belly-flap that needed removing. Second, waiting a year insures that you know you can keep the weight off long term. I've seen too many people lose weight, then gain it all back as soon as they stop dieting.

Mine was $10,000!
    What is the name of your surgery around CT panniculectomy I'm looking at 15-20k
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    vnb_208 wrote: »

@jules81

Mine was $10,000!
    What is the name of your surgery around CT panniculectomy I'm looking at 15-20k

@vnb_208

I live in MA. my surgeon is in providence RI. What part of Connecticut are you in? Far from providence? My fleur de lis tummy tuck with an arm lift was $12,600. My thigh lift ended up being around $7000 and he is amazing. You can see my tummy pics earlier in the thread. Funny to see you in a thread other than new products... lol
  • VUA21
    Thebajan wrote: »
    First of all.... wow! You look amazing! This post is so encouraging. I've lost 98 pounds to date and I'm just a few pounds away from my target. I am planning for this as well as a breast reduction and lift. As you advised, I'm waiting a year from the time I reach my target weight so that I can really get good at the new habits of maintaining a healthy dietary lifestyle. I have to re-learn how to eat and as we all know, that's a process. Thank you for posting. It helps to have some idea of what to look for in a good surgeon.

@Thebajan
    Questions to ask:
    The absolute most important question is to ask of they are a licensed, certified, and trained PLASTIC SURGEON. There's one of two ways this goes, if the answer is yes - yay. If it's anything other than yes (such as dodging the question), RUN!!!! A cosmetic surgeon is not a plastic surgeon.
    The second question to ask is what is their area(s) of expertise, and what surgeries would they refer to another surgeon. No one is an expert at everything. My doctor is amazing at skin/body augmentin, but not facial augmentin (the other doctor in the same office is). When a surgeon is very good, reputation can be everything. So bad outcomes can and often do, ruin thier practice. They would rather lose a patient to someone else, than lose thier practice (and possibly license and credentials).
    After those two questions, the rest should be your own questions and concerns about the surgery.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Looks really good. I'm excited to see once the swelling is gone.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Looking great! Check out that bellybutton :smile:
  • VUA21
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Looking great! Check out that bellybutton :smile:

I know. Pre surgery, I had a pretty sad bellybutton. Got a really cute one now!