A marathon for little ol me?

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi y'all!
My dear friend today on our 6 mile run asked me if I'd like to do a marathon with her in November ! It's something I've had on my bucket list for a very long time... so I think I want to at least try. The biggest thing I'm worried about is that I hate structured running plans... I'm kind of a go for a run and explore the town and find out where I'll end up type of gal. I'm currently running 20 miles or so a week (sometimes a bit more sometimes a bit less) and feeling pretty good. I usually do 3 miles MWF and 5 miles T/Th. My question here is can I do a marathon without a strict running plan? How many miles do I need to be running each week? Is it possible in my time frame without injuring myself? The marathon is November 25. I've been a competitive swimmer and runner all my life but never ran something official like this besides 5ks! Also how does fuel work, I imagine you need to replenish your electrolytes after so many miles? Do I have to wear one of those goofy utility belts with little drinks?
Thanks for your help fellow runners!!!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's not long, given that your mileage is quite low at the moment. You could modify a 16 week plan.

The main thing is to get the long easy miles in, possibly with back to back longs; 10mi followed by 10mi the next day, then building up.

I generally wouldn't recommend a marathon until you're consistently running 25-30 mi per week and 10K is your routine recovery. That is not to say that you can't complete the race but I'd be surprised if it's a fun experience.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do do any runs longer that 5 miles currently?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It's doable given that you already sound to be fairly fit and used to training but you will need to up your mileage very soon. Probably double what you're currently doing as a matter of course over the next 5-6 weeks and build from there. Even though you don't want a structured plan, you will need to add a gradually lengthening long run to your weekly schedule (for example, get yourself to 10 miles in a month and then gradually increase that distance such that you can do a comfortable 20 miler by the beginning of November). Maybe race a half marathon in early October.

In all honestly though, training for a marathon requires so many miles and time that it just kind of makes sense to follow a structured plan or to at least use one as a base before modifying to fit your schedule. It would be exactly the same effort as 'winging it'.

Yes - you will likely need to replenish during the race. There will be water stations for water/sports drinks such that carrying your own isn't really necessary though you will need to figure out how to take care of your energy needs with gels or fruit, etc. I think it's safe to say that nobody wears those 'utility' belts for the fashion of it - you'll quickly see the benefit of them once you're regularly running 2+ hours per session (even if you still opt not to use them).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i don't like a lot of structure but i decided to use this one

it doesn't feel toooo structured
  • FL_Hiker
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful advice everyone!!! I currently don't run longer than 5 miles right now, but very easily could... I haven't been increasing my mileage because my dog hasn't been able to keep up and has been lagging behind me on our runs. Thank you for that plan @mbaker566 that isn't complicated at all (printing it out now)!! I tend to shy away from the plans that are complicated and confusing... I have always just ran for fun and like to keep it that way. That plan is also very similar to what I am already doing plus a long run on the weekend, which I could leave my dog home to rest :) . Other opinions on the plan posted? Is that a good one to follow?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Oh-and yes, you’ll need a way to carry stuff on training runs. You’ll need some water and some kind of fuel and other stuff you’ll find handy. It’s difficult to carry all that in your hands so you’ll probably want to look into a belt or vest of some sort.
  • FL_Hiker
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks for your input, I am no stranger to long distance exercise... I used to do long distance open water swims (10+ mile swims) and I did used to run 12 miles every day but that was many years ago and I'm much more out of shape! I think I have the determination in me though. Unforunately I don't have the extra funds for a coach.

In regards to this training plan https://www.nyrr.org/sites/default/files/Marathon Training Plans - Conservative.pdf
    I have a few questions, I live in FL home of flat ground forever lol, what should I do instead of "Hills" ? I am also curious if I have to take those rest days?

EDIT: Nevermind I see the terms defined at the bottom now!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Oh-and yes, you’ll need a way to carry stuff on training runs. You’ll need some water and some kind of fuel and other stuff you’ll find handy. It’s difficult to carry all that in your hands so you’ll probably want to look into a belt or vest of some sort.

of if you can, loops. swing by your house or car, pick up fuel and fluid. i hate loops so i do have a belt that holds phone, cards, fuel, money, and bags(i run with dogs too). i'm considering a vest for this (i'm starting the second week of the posted plan)

i would say that i did post this in the monthly challenge thread and there was positive feedback but not a lot of it. i posted another one similar, this was the preferred. and this was after pouring for hours over online free plans. there is a long distance running group and monthly runners group. you might find more experienced advise there
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

of if you can, loops. swing by your house or car, pick up fuel and fluid. i hate loops so i do have a belt that holds phone, cards, fuel, money, and bags(i run with dogs too). i'm considering a vest for this (i'm starting the second week of the posted plan)

i would say that i did post this in the monthly challenge thread and there was positive feedback but not a lot of it. i posted another one similar, this was the preferred. and this was after pouring for hours over online free plans. there is a long distance running group and monthly runners group. you might find more experienced advise there

Thank you so much for your help! I like the simplicity of it. Appreciate all of your input, I also hate carrying things on my runs.. my dog wears a little back pack and usually carries our water lol.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    As stated above, your mileage is really low for a marathon. Since you aren't used to doing long runs, you will need to build up to them, so you don't get injured. Hal Higdon has free simple Novice level plans that work for low mileage first time marathoners. https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/novice-1-marathon/ The plan should get you to the starting line healthy, but you won't do as well as you would if you had more time to build your mileage and train well. Forget any expectations of time, just work to finish. That means that when you are doing your long runs, you need to practice slow and easy paces. Really slow. Practice fueling mid-run. Carry water on your longer runs and gels or fruit so you can find out how your stomach tolerates them. I find that some go down easily and some give me cramps; it took time to learn which was which. I take a gel every 45 minutes or so on runs over 12 miles but YMMV
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    Thank you for your advice :) , yes i'm really not worried about time! I just want to be able to cross the finish line.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options

True. But if I did loops by my house at this point, I’d just stop lol.

I use a flipbelt for most runs. I have been using a Camelbak for long runs because it’s been 1000 degrees and 10000% humid for every freakin one of them. I’ll use just the flipbelt for the race.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    oh i hate loops too, thus the trail belt. i'm out and back sorta runner
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    oh i hate loops too, thus the trail belt. i'm out and back sorta runner

I feel like a stalker doing loops. Like “hey neighbor-good to see you. Again. Be back in a few. Again.”

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I know a few established runners who have done marathons without following a plan and it hasn’t been a positive experience for them.

I've done 15, including some ultras and back to backs (Saturday and Sunday). I'd avoid winging it.
  • FL_Hiker
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Okay so I need a plan. Got it lol, no winging it! I do NOT want to get beat by a half naked dude with wings, no way jose! Any changes or suggestions you all would make to this one that was suggested? @meanderingmammal , @duck_puddle It fits my schedule nicely.... and I like its simplicity. Also what are my alternatives to hills? My state doesn't have those. I just want to be able to cross the finish line without injuring myself.

https://www.nyrr.org/sites/default/files/Marathon Training Plans - Conservative.pdf
  • Duck_Puddle
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I’m not the brains of my operation. My therapist-i mean coach-is.

But I personally wouldn’t worry about any of the speedwork on that plan. Your base is quite low and you’re going to be increasing mileage quite a bit quite quickly. All that speedwork is not going to really be a huge benefit for you and increases your risk of injury. So I would just do all those (intervals, tempo runs, hills) as regular runs. A couple fartleks or pickups at the end of some longer runs probably isn’t a terrible idea, but I wouldn’t worry about all that other stuff.

And if your marathon is also in FL, it won’t have hills either. Hills are good as a speedwork tool, but I don’t think you need to worry about that.
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    I’m not the brains of my operation. My therapist-i mean coach-is.

But I personally wouldn’t worry about any of the speedwork on that plan. Your base is quite low and you’re going to be increasing mileage quite a bit quite quickly. All that speedwork is not going to really be a huge benefit for you and increases your risk of injury. So I would just do all those (intervals, tempo runs, hills, as regular runs.). A couple fartleks or pickups at the end of some longer runs probably isn’t a terrible idea, but I wouldn’t worry about all that other stuff.

And if your marathon is also in FL, it won’t have hills either. Hills are good as a speedwork tool, but I don’t think you need to worry about that.

Awesome thank you!!!! I have been doing speed work already on our short runs, and yes it will be here in FL :) .