A marathon for little ol me?

Options

Replies

• RunShenRun
    RunShenRun Posts: 18 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I am using the attached. I was previously a runner and fell away from it. I did my first marathon on little to no training aside from a month or so prior- I had been on a plan but two family members ended up in the ICU derailed all of that. I wouldn't advise running on no plan like I did. . .I finished and ran the whole time, took me 5 hrs and a half, but it certainly hurt.

I am training for my second one in November, and I am using the plan from this link. It said it's for people who were runners, fell away from it, and want to get back to it. (me!)

runningafterlukas.com/20-week-marathon-training-plan-for-beginners/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Check out any running stores near you. They often have training groups, free or nominal fee.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I know a few established runners who have done marathons without following a plan and it hasn’t been a positive experience for them.

I've done 15, including some ultras and back to backs (Saturday and Sunday). I'd avoid winging it.

Solid advice. These people do a fair amount of weekly mileage, and did pack in some long runs, but they all fell apart at about mile 16 in the race.

The last race I decided to wing it I almost got beat by a half naked dude wearing angel wings, a multicolored tutu and a turkey as a hat.

Never again.

Ten years ago I was beaten in a 5k race by a girl dressed as a taco. I'm still not over it.

I feel this in my soul.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice... One thing not mentioned--maybe the elephant in the room? Your dog probably will not be able to keep up with you for marathon training in under 16 weeks. That's not to say that he can't go on any of your runs--but he shouldn't be going on all of your runs, especially the longer ones. Don't be afraid to break up some of your long runs (2 x 6 miles in a day instead of a single 12 miler).
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Okay so I need a plan. Got it lol, no winging it! I do NOT want to get beat by a half naked dude with wings, no way jose! Any changes or suggestions you all would make to this one that was suggested? @meanderingmammal , @duck_puddle It fits my schedule nicely.... and I like its simplicity. Also what are my alternatives to hills? My state doesn't have those. I just want to be able to cross the finish line without injuring myself.

https://www.nyrr.org/sites/default/files/Marathon Training Plans - Conservative.pdf

There's nothing really special about that plan. It's pretty much par for the course as far as training plans go. Also check out Hal Higdon plans. They're just as simple and offer a number of varieties depending on your skill level and goals (for example, hills/speedwork isn't really necessary given what you want to accomplish).
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Okay so I need a plan. Got it lol, no winging it! I do NOT want to get beat by a half naked dude with wings, no way jose! Any changes or suggestions you all would make to this one that was suggested? @meanderingmammal , @duck_puddle It fits my schedule nicely.... and I like its simplicity. Also what are my alternatives to hills? My state doesn't have those. I just want to be able to cross the finish line without injuring myself.

https://www.nyrr.org/sites/default/files/Marathon Training Plans - Conservative.pdf

Similar boat. Marathon planned on Nov 18. Fell off the running wagon last year and currently clambering back on.

This looks like a good solid plan, and will probably suffice for finishing. Whatever you do, try to hit as many of those long runs as you can!

Fueling is a... complicated topic. Everybody, eventually, ends up with a different fueling strategy... basically, you'll need to replenish water, electrolytes and carbs. Do some reading (this might be a good place to start), and try different combinations.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There are some plans that work based on minutes vice mileage, that might work for you and feel less than a plan. The book I used was "How to Run your first Marathon" by Ardy Friedberg. I modified the schedule because I had more time between start and goal race. Because I'm a slow runner, I couldn't always do 6 miles at a time on weekdays, so I broke it up into two sessions. My race went according to plan for the most part.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

It's a reasonable plan, although the mileage is pretty low, which will lead to a pretty rough experience in the race. As the terrain is flat it makes things a bit easier, although your challenge then becomes consistent pacing.

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Thanks again yall for the great advice!
    Do you take gels and fruit on your long training runs as well? Or just during the actual race? And for a newbie what pace would you expect to hold during the race? Also just went to register and they were all sold out for the race!!!! So we are doing one in Janurary instead, phew I've got more time !
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Check out Hal Higdon Novice 1 or 2 programs. Super low stress, but super reliable and on-point. I've used Hal's plans for every race I've done and he's yet to fail me.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I know a few established runners who have done marathons without following a plan and it hasn’t been a positive experience for them.

I've done 15, including some ultras and back to backs (Saturday and Sunday). I'd avoid winging it.

Solid advice. These people do a fair amount of weekly mileage, and did pack in some long runs, but they all fell apart at about mile 16 in the race.

The last race I decided to wing it I almost got beat by a half naked dude wearing angel wings, a multicolored tutu and a turkey as a hat.

Never again.

Ten years ago I was beaten in a 5k race by a girl dressed as a taco. I'm still not over it.

There's a dude in is 80's who reliably beats me at every 10k we're in together.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Do you take gels and fruit on your long training runs as well? Or just during the actual race? And for a newbie what pace would you expect to hold during the race? Also just went to register and they were all sold out for the race!!!! So we are doing one in Janurary instead, phew I've got more time !

Practice eating on your runs. Don't save anything new for race day. Don't go longer than an hour-ish without putting in some fuel. I like to eat things like Lara bars and Kind bars. On anything longer than 13 miles, I'll have a snack about an hour in, and then every 30-45 minutes after that. It takes practice to dial that all in, so start fueling on your longer runs now.
  • FL_Hiker
    Options

Practice eating on your runs. Don't save anything new for race day. Don't go longer than an hour-ish without putting in some fuel. I like to eat things like Lara bars and Kind bars. On anything longer than 13 miles, I'll have a snack about an hour in, and then every 30-45 minutes after that. It takes practice to dial that all in, so start fueling on your longer runs now.

Thank you :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Fwiw it's best to experiment yourself in terms of nutrition. If you're doing more than 16 miles is worth trying something to see how it goes.

I now carry tailwind, in a race vest. For my races I carry first aid kit, spare base layer, phone and fresh socks so it's quite straightforward. I'm the past I've used SIS Gels and Honey Stinger gels and HS chews. They've all got advantages and disadvantages, depending on the race.

If you're going to use the aid stations, it's worth finding out what they'll supply. I'll eat flapjack, cake, sweets, fruit, crisps, beer, flat coke at aid stations and I've never had any distress.
  • FL_Hiker
    Options

Fwiw it's best to experiment yourself in terms of nutrition. If you're doing more than 16 miles is worth trying something to see how it goes.

I now carry tailwind, in a race vest. For my races I carry first aid kit, spare base layer, phone and fresh socks so it's quite straightforward. I'm the past I've used SIS Gels and Honey Stinger gels and HS chews. They've all got advantages and disadvantages, depending on the race.

If you're going to use the aid stations, it's worth finding out what they'll supply. I'll eat flapjack, cake, sweets, fruit, crisps, beer, flat coke at aid stations and I've never had any distress.

Thanks for all the info! What brand of vest do you use? Do you also need to carry water for the actual race? I plan all my training routes around water fountains.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Thanks for all the info! What brand of vest do you use? Do you also need to carry water for the actual race? I plan all my training routes around water fountains.

Most marathons have regularly spaced hydration stations (usually with water and some kind of electrolyte drink). You don't have to carry your own unless it is your preference. I never take water to a marathon because I don't want the extra weight. The marathon websites I've seen will usually specify what kind of drink they're going to offer -- that gives you the opportunity to try it during your longer runs so you can be sure that you'll tolerate it well on race day.

I do bring my own Gu packs. The marathons I've run do offer some kind of gel, but the brand can vary and it's usually not until after 20 miles or so (and I like to have some before then).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

It's a good idea to practice on your long runs so you know which fuels your body can tolerate. Do it on a regular basis - every 45 minutes or so on runs over 10 miles - because if you wait until you are really tired your body won't digest the sugar well. I found that some gels taste good, some taste awful. I like ones with caffeine, but some people can't tolerate it when running. Some my stomach is happy with, some gave me bad cramps and sent me running to the nearest bathroom. I like the shot bloks, but they are hard to chew, especially when running uphill, so I cut them in smaller pieces if I'm using those. If your race will have Gatorade or Powerade, practice with that as well. (I alternate water and Gatorade at water tables.) Some people can't handle the sugar, even though it is usually watered down on race day. If your race has water every two miles, practice that as well.

As to pace - have you run a HM or 10k recently? If not, run one so you know what your current level of fitness is. Usually I take the time of a recent HM (or one I run during marathon training), double it and add 10-20 minutes. There are pace converters like McMillan and Daniels, but they assume you're running 70 mpw and have run marathons before. During training you'll do most of your runs easy. Some plans have you practice at marathon pace for some of the runs, but not usually at a novice level. I think the assumption there is that you will run your marathon at your easy long run pace. On race day, the first half should feel really really easy. It will get progressively harder as you get more tired. Having experienced fatigue during your long runs, you will know how it feels to try to hold the pace. That is more feasible if you start with a pace that feels easy.

It's good that you have more time to build your base before starting training. You might be able to use an intermediate plan with higher overall mileage instead of a novice plan. That will make a difference on race day.