A marathon for little ol me?

Options

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    definitely practice fueling and hydrating on your runs. don't leave anything to chance on marathon day. if you know what kind of gels they will have, it might behoove you to try those and see if you can use those too.

as for the dog. my dog has done 17 miles. and she was still ready to go more. other people's dogs don't want to go more than a half mile. listen to your dog. i was doing a trail run and one of mine just plopped down and wouldn't budge till i asked her if she wanted to go to the car. then she turned and bee-lined.
    she has done 17 when she was 9 years, now we only do 10ks with her at 11years
    9leablpo6s16.png

this speed demon is her distance replacement. we've done 7 so far. 8-10 on deck this weekend. trying to teach her pacing
    (this is her questioning her life choices. 6 miles heavy rain run)
    knel2bzyc8j6.png

Thank you all for your help!!! Such great information!!!!

Your dogs are beautiful!!! Mine is unfortunately not a distance runner, I'll bring him along on the short 3 mile days but he's staying home on the long runs, probably chilling on the couch sleeping lol. He did his job and got me motivated back running again 😊.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the hounds i fostered were usually done after a 5k. heck, the old lady was done after a half block

thank you :smile:
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    For fueling I'm partial to Clif Shot Bloks (cherry is my favorite flavor)--I start eating one block at 60 minutes in and then one every 15 minutes after--I'm kind of regimented like that... I was using a hand-strap bottle for half marathons because I can't stand running with a dry mouth/lips--I also wash the Shot Bloks down with a bit of water. It is kind of annoying to carry it--switching hands, it's a little heavy when full--so I will probably invest in a fuel belt when I get my distance back up again. Definitely experiment with fuel and gear--including fuel belts, socks, shirts, etc. before race day--you don't want to get surprised by accidental rubbing. Don't wear brand new shoes for your race--but don't wear worn out shoes either.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Thanks again yall for the great advice!
    Do you take gels and fruit on your long training runs as well? Or just during the actual race? And for a newbie what pace would you expect to hold during the race? Also just went to register and they were all sold out for the race!!!! So we are doing one in Janurary instead, phew I've got more time !

Fwiw it's best to experiment yourself in terms of nutrition. If you're doing more than 16 miles is worth trying something to see how it goes.

I now carry tailwind, in a race vest. For my races I carry first aid kit, spare base layer, phone and fresh socks so it's quite straightforward. I'm the past I've used SIS Gels and Honey Stinger gels and HS chews. They've all got advantages and disadvantages, depending on the race.

If you're going to use the aid stations, it's worth finding out what they'll supply. I'll eat flapjack, cake, sweets, fruit, crisps, beer, flat coke at aid stations and I've never had any distress.

Thanks for all the info! What brand of vest do you use? Do you also need to carry water for the actual race? I plan all my training routes around water fountains.

Mine is Inov-8, it can take two 500ml bottles and a 2litre bladder. Normally I just carry the bottles and refill as required at aid stations. Salomon and UD are both very good as well. I have a Camelbak hand held that I use for lapped events, with a 600ml bottle.

Probably worth a health warning inasmuch as I'm a trail runner, so we tend to be more willing to carry kit in case things go wrong. I have had to patch people up on the route tbh.
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    How necessary are those "rest days"? Today is my first one according to the schedule and I'm going nuts... it feels weird not going for a run every day!!!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    very necessary. your body needs time to recover.
    see here
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How necessary are those "rest days"? Today is my first one according to the schedule and I'm going nuts... it feels weird not going for a run every day!!!!

can you cross train instead?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

Rest day is the BEST day!

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Remember...running is cumulative abuse. Check back with us on those rest days when you're regularly hitting 35-40 miles per week for an easy schedule!

I am in a cutback week so I’ve only got 38 miles on the plan. Since it’s a light week, I thought about doing a weight workout on my rest day. I thought about it for about 18 seconds. Rest day won. That was a good choice. I can’t wait for my next one.

Rest day is sacred.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Remember...running is cumulative abuse. Check back with us on those rest days when you're regularly hitting 35-40 miles per week for an easy schedule!

I am in a cutback week so I’ve only got 38 miles on the plan. Since it’s a light week, I thought about doing a weight workout on my rest day. I thought about it for about 18 seconds. Rest day won. That was a good choice. I can’t wait for my next one.

Rest day is sacred.

Absolutely. Once I crossed 35 mpw on the regular, the need to be active on a rest day quickly went by the wayside. Cross training happens on cross training day, not just because I don't have a run scheduled.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Rest day is sacred.

Absolutely. Once I crossed 35 mpw on the regular, the need to be active on a rest day quickly went by the wayside. Cross training happens on cross training day, not just because I don't have a run scheduled.

This is my experience too. When I'm not training for a longer race and getting under 35 miles a week, I like to run daily. When I'm doing marathon training, my body quickly reminds me that things are different and I need at least one day a week without running. It's mandatory for me.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If I have a lot of energy, I do cross training on my rest day. If I am feeling stiff and sore and tired, I usually do nothing, or I'll just do some yoga. Often rest day means I mow the lawn or clean the house. My plan has 5 days a week of running. Usually that means one rest day is active and one is less so. (I always walk the dog 2-3 miles, rest day or not.)
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you don't need the rest day, you aren't doing it right! Don't try to race your training. Follow the plan. You might not feel like you need rest if you are only running 20 miles a week, but they will be essential for success in your longer runs and the marathon itself. Like, if you "just had to" run 5 miles the day before your 20 miler, and then you stopped at 18, and had to take several long breaks, you missed out on training your body to go those longer distances.
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    @mbaker566 do you fuel your dogs for running too? Give them anything special like higher fat & protein diet?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

I have a hard time sitting still, too. Rest days for me involve yoga (not vinyasa) or a leisurely walk.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Have you done a half?
    The biggest thing I noticed with long runs is everything starts to suck lol things rub, feet hurt, blisters, skin rubbing off (get some good glide lol). I have my first Marathon in September...and questioning my choices lol
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    Have you done a half?
    The biggest thing I noticed with long runs is everything starts to suck lol things rub, feet hurt, blisters, skin rubbing off (get some good glide lol). I have my first Marathon in September...and questioning my choices lol

I was planning on doing a half during the middle of training (half way point) :). Let us know how yours goes!!!