What do you eat as a treat that doesn’t spiral into binging?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I have ~400 calories left and I’ve had a tough day and want a treat, but I don’t want to eat something that’s going to make me feel bad, or trigger more cravings. I don’t have anything specific in mind, but I just want something enjoyable.

I don’t have trouble enjoying treats with people but I’m on my own today and I feel like if I go somewhere and order an ice cream it’ll feel weird and set off some old binging behaviour. My SO calls it “establishing a pathway” where if you do something recently it’s more of an option, so like whenever I pass that place etc I’ll think of the ice cream and have to actively say no.

Not everyone might have connotations of sadness and guilt with junk foods, but I do. I can’t think of anything that won’t make me feel weird about it. I’d love to hear about how other people navigate this stuff.

Replies

• helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Half-naked popcorn with a hint of olive oil often does the trick for me. Five cups (30 grams) has 120 calories, only 25 calories of which are from fat, so fat only accounts for about 20.8% of the calories. 4 grams of dietary fiber, 0 sugar, and 3 grams of protein. The overall carb count (including dietary fiber) is 21 grams, so sometimes I will build that into my food plan as my evening snack, and go lighter on carbs in my meals.

And if I've done enough exercise or left enough room... sometimes, I will have two chewy Chips Ahoy chocolate chip cookies with some skim milk. Enough to satisfy the craving, but not enough to wreck the food plan of the day.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I buy Halo Top. I also get the individually packaged ice cream (well, frozen Greek yogurt) pops. I find I can eat one of those and leave the rest in the package. Roasted chickpeas. Fiber One bars. Dry cereal. Veggie dogs. My homemade desserts come in at 200 calories or fewer per serving and I can hold myself to one serving of whatever.
  • kiela64
    Options
    I buy Halo Top. I also get the individually packaged ice cream (well, frozen Greek yogurt) pops. I find I can eat one of those and leave the rest in the package. Roasted chickpeas. Fiber One bars. Dry cereal. Veggie dogs. My homemade desserts come in at 200 calories or fewer per serving and I can hold myself to one serving of whatever.

I tried fibre one bars and ate 2/3 of the box in one sitting :/ the first 1/3 was nice and I ate it like a normal person lol.

I’m not sure halo top exists here but I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks everyone!!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I have a fun size snicker bar. It is the perfect sweet treat at 80 calories.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I really like enlightened bars and graham crackers. I usually have one bar with one serving of crackers. It completely satisfies my sweet tooth for minimal calories.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    at least once a day I have: non fat plain greek yogurt( kirkland is my favorite) with 2-4 Tbl of lite cool whip mixed in & either Tbl of strawberry jam, peanut butter powder, hot coco powder or fruit mixed in. Today I bought some mango jam, it's really good
  • bergk24
    bergk24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My usual craving snacks that help me are Orange Sherbert,Popsicles, Halo Ice Cream,Strawbery Jam or PB2 on Waffles, Cottage Cheese with Strawberries/Blueberries. Always use applesauce instead of vegetable oil in my homemade dessert.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever makes you happy for those calories, portioning it out or buying something that is just, or under 400 cals all-together. Or don't, and bank those cals for later. Saving is good :)

I usually go for chocolate or grab a beer / glass of wine for my remainder at the end of the day, but that is my idea of a treat and we're all different.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    I have ~400 calories left

I'd go with a slice of bread, margarine, nutella, and honey. :)

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Depends on the craving! Ice cream is a good one. I'm learning self control, so I try to buy snack items only in quantities I deem OK to eat in one sitting unless I know for sure that won't happen. So, if I know I might wolf down the entire chocolate bar, I get a smaller bar. Recently I've been trying to only eat from plates and bowls to make it more conscious. So, if I get tortilla chips, I put the desired amount in a bowl and leave the bag in the kitchen. That being said, tortilla chips are my weakness and they aren't sold in small enough bags...
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    A cup of cottage cheese mixed with a serving of frozen blueberries...180+80=260 calories and 25+ grams of protein. Try it...it's delicious.
  • Aine_60
    Aine_60 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »

I tried fibre one bars and ate 2/3 of the box in one sitting :/ the first 1/3 was nice and I ate it like a normal person lol.

I’m not sure halo top exists here but I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks everyone!!

Haha same here - those type of bars, cereal bars, are just lethal for me, I'd eat the full box and my stomach will be all bloaty and sore afterwards as well. So I'm no longer buying them.

I'm struggling with snacks anyway, find it hard to limit myself. A yoghurt would be ok though, or one or two boiled eggs.
  • kiela64
    Options
    I have two thoughts. 1: You can decide for yourself what you want, you can have anything you want, and that is a great privilige. Practice gratitude. 2: Can't you save the calories for an occasion to eat with friends?

I did that before and then I ended up under eating, so I increased my goal and I’m trying to meet it (not go over, not a ton under either). Also part of the stressful day is likely not being able to see anyone for a while.
  • kiela64
    Options

88olds wrote: »
    You’re going to have to find this for yourself. I’m another ice cream fan. Nearly every evening, I measure out 120 cals worth of my current fav Breyers No Sugar Added. I don’t know exactly why I don’t go back for seconds, thirds or knock off the entire half gallon. Some people can’t have ice cream in the house. I don’t go out for ice cream because the portions are calorie bombs. Way over my 120 cal allowance.

But you seem to have an issue with having a treat. If looking foreword to a treat in the evening keeps me out of the office cookies and donuts, it’s done it’s job and well worth it. Also the whole idea of a treat keeps me from thinking I’m on some sort of austerity program.

Also, how did you end up with 400 calories at the end of the day? My treat allocation is about 7% of daily total. You're wise not go out on your own and burn up such a big chunk of calories on junk. Were it me, I’d track down an ice cream sandwich at a mini mart for about 150 cals or so and use the rest for something more filling and helpful.

I definitely can’t keep ice cream in the house. It would work for a few days, but I’d probably cave if I was super tired and just finish it. It’s not something I grew up with, we never had treats at home so if I know there’s something in the house it’s like it sits in the back of my mind and I’m always aware of it & sort of hyper vigilant.

It was just the space I had at that time. I recently upped my calories and I’m still figuring it out. I’ve never seen an ice cream sandwich that low, aren’t they usually 300+? That would be a good idea. I could probably keep a few of those at home without going nuts and even if I did and I only had 4 in the house it wouldn’t be the end of the world.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @kiela64 if you think you can keep some frozen bars around look at Skinny Cow, Weight Watchers and frozen yogurt bars, don’t recall the brand. I think you can find something for 100 calories. But you have to buy a whole package.

Maybe the reason I keep myself in check is that a run into the ditch would mean the end of my entire frozen treat project.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky... I mean the really good stuff. I order a few packs and it takes me weeks to get through it all. It's expensive and so good I just like to savor each piece. However, if I did go crazy and binge it all - not much damage done. ;)