What do you eat as a treat that doesn’t spiral into binging?

Replies

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    lite greek yogurt
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Iv been trying to get off of "snacking" mindset by making a large soup/stew every morning packed with broccoli spinach mushrooms and garlic. When im snacky i grab a small bowl. Its delicious and satisfying and also keeps me on track while also giving me something to snack on. 400 of my daily calories have been going to that its ctually making me slowly go back to craving healthy/savory vs sweets. Now if only i can break the sweets habit since its no longer a craving xD Can you do something similar? Chilis soups and stews can be made in bulk and freeze really well make for a good go to snack/mini meal
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Beef Jerky... I mean the really good stuff. I order a few packs and it takes me weeks to get through it all. It's expensive and so good I just like to savor each piece. However, if I did go crazy and binge it all - not much damage done. ;)

Interesting, I’ve never tried jerky. Thanks! If I like it I might feel better about it because it’s at least protein id guess?
  • kiela64
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Iv been trying to get off of "snacking" mindset by making a large soup/stew every morning packed with broccoli spinach mushrooms and garlic. When im snacky i grab a small bowl. Its delicious and satisfying and also keeps me on track while also giving me something to snack on. 400 of my daily calories have been going to that its ctually making me slowly go back to craving healthy/savory vs sweets. Now if only i can break the sweets habit since its no longer a craving xD Can you do something similar? Chilis soups and stews can be made in bulk and freeze really well make for a good go to snack/mini meal

This is wonderful advice I’ll have to save for later. I fill up my 1/8th of the freezer completely with my frozen sandwiches that I take to work for lunch so I don’t buy food. N
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    kiela64 wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

This is wonderful advice I’ll have to save for later. I fill up my 1/8th of the freezer completely with my frozen sandwiches that I take to work for lunch so I don’t buy food. N

I buy small containers from the dollar store that fit and stack well in the door of my fridge freezer for soups. Fridge would work fine to i just dont have a fridge that works lol. For the most part though i eat all the soup that day. I like the small of garlic and creaminess first thing in my day when i use my slow cooker to do it (not as yummy for veggie soups but the smell cant be beat) But it starts me off with craving the good stuff first thing
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Small amount of cereal but with homemade yogurt instead of milk. Tastes nearly decadent.
  • procrox
    procrox Posts: 38 Member
    I like to handle my cravings with any of these;

Sauerkraut, a good bratwurst and some hot mustard.
    Bowl of greek yoghurt and some blueberries.
    Salted mixed nuts.
    Scrambled eggs with some fried pancetta.

Add lots of low cal fluids with all of these to help fill your stomach, iced black coffee, sparkling water, etc.
  • agduffy4
    agduffy4 Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2018
    Another HaloTop lover. My dessert "treat" is a serving or two of HaloTop (80-120 calories) and a dark chocolate Kodiak cake pancake or waffle (150-200 calories). Kodiak cake is a high-protein pancake/waffle mix...you can get it on Amazon if you don't have it in your grocery store!). It's basically a brownie + ice cream treat but with higher protein, low sugar, and less calories...so less guilt! I love the warm pancake melting the ice cream yummmm
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    Depends on the craving! Ice cream is a good one. I'm learning self control, so I try to buy snack items only in quantities I deem OK to eat in one sitting unless I know for sure that won't happen. So, if I know I might wolf down the entire chocolate bar, I get a smaller bar. Recently I've been trying to only eat from plates and bowls to make it more conscious. So, if I get tortilla chips, I put the desired amount in a bowl and leave the bag in the kitchen. That being said, tortilla chips are my weakness and they aren't sold in small enough bags...

This^

Changes for a lifetime (which we will need for maintenance) takes time to master. Losing weight is just the first step.

Start with the things you feel you can handle, then branch out. Individually wrapped dark chocolate squares I can manage, Reese's peanut butter cups I can't. I don't make Rice Krispie treats anymore, I buy an individual pack. We all learn from experience.

Fiber One bars....1 bar gives me stomach pains, can't imagine 2/3 of a box.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,719 Member
    88olds wrote: »
    You’re going to have to find this for yourself. I’m another ice cream fan. Nearly every evening, I measure out 120 cals worth of my current fav Breyers No Sugar Added. I don’t know exactly why I don’t go back for seconds, thirds or knock off the entire half gallon. Some people can’t have ice cream in the house. I don’t go out for ice cream because the portions are calorie bombs. Way over my 120 cal allowance.

But you seem to have an issue with having a treat. If looking foreword to a treat in the evening keeps me out of the office cookies and donuts, it’s done it’s job and well worth it. Also the whole idea of a treat keeps me from thinking I’m on some sort of austerity program.

Also, how did you end up with 400 calories at the end of the day? My treat allocation is about 7% of daily total. You're wise not go out on your own and burn up such a big chunk of calories on junk. Were it me, I’d track down an ice cream sandwich at a mini mart for about 150 cals or so and use the rest for something more filling and helpful.

I definitely can’t keep ice cream in the house. It would work for a few days, but I’d probably cave if I was super tired and just finish it. It’s not something I grew up with, we never had treats at home so if I know there’s something in the house it’s like it sits in the back of my mind and I’m always aware of it & sort of hyper vigilant.

It was just the space I had at that time. I recently upped my calories and I’m still figuring it out. I’ve never seen an ice cream sandwich that low, aren’t they usually 300+? That would be a good idea. I could probably keep a few of those at home without going nuts and even if I did and I only had 4 in the house it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

This! I think this is the reason I have an unhealthy obsession with all things junk food! My mom baked a lot so there were always sweets, I can have those surrounding me and not eat a one. Give me salty, crunchy, greasy and I can't get enough! Needless to say, my downfall is potato chips. I have just learned not to have them in the house. If i really and truly can't stop a craving for them I make myself walk to the store to buy a small bag. If I'm not willing to walk to get them I must not want them that bad.

I'm the same with fresh fruits, they were an extravagance for me growing up so if it's there I have to eat it! At least this is healthy though except the sugar and carbs LOL
  • ecrosby512
    ecrosby512 Posts: 55 Member
    Blueberries with a squirt of whipped cream from a can.
  • kiela64
    ecrosby512 wrote: »
    Blueberries with a squirt of whipped cream from a can.

That sounds delicious 😋 not sure how I’d be with a can of whipped cream around, or how to measure that. But fresh fruit & something creamy/sweet is definitely my bag.

I didn’t end up getting a treat last night because I couldn’t figure it out. But when I got home there was pizza, and I had a slice and then a small amount of Greek yogurt, so I still hit my goal. And it was lovely because pizza still feels like a treat, but I can’t get the sold slices because 2 slices is too much haha. And the yogurt was delicious too. I got the higher fat version of the plain and it makes my 1/2 vanilla 1/2 plain mixture taste extra nice.

This morning I went to the bank and I passed a fresh fruit market and grabbed some locally grown raspberries. I might see about whipped cream or just eat the berries 😋 we’re getting there!!!

Thank you for all your recommendations & experiences! 😁
  • kiela64
    88olds wrote: »
    You’re going to have to find this for yourself. I’m another ice cream fan. Nearly every evening, I measure out 120 cals worth of my current fav Breyers No Sugar Added. I don’t know exactly why I don’t go back for seconds, thirds or knock off the entire half gallon. Some people can’t have ice cream in the house. I don’t go out for ice cream because the portions are calorie bombs. Way over my 120 cal allowance.

But you seem to have an issue with having a treat. If looking foreword to a treat in the evening keeps me out of the office cookies and donuts, it’s done it’s job and well worth it. Also the whole idea of a treat keeps me from thinking I’m on some sort of austerity program.

Also, how did you end up with 400 calories at the end of the day? My treat allocation is about 7% of daily total. You're wise not go out on your own and burn up such a big chunk of calories on junk. Were it me, I’d track down an ice cream sandwich at a mini mart for about 150 cals or so and use the rest for something more filling and helpful.

I definitely can’t keep ice cream in the house. It would work for a few days, but I’d probably cave if I was super tired and just finish it. It’s not something I grew up with, we never had treats at home so if I know there’s something in the house it’s like it sits in the back of my mind and I’m always aware of it & sort of hyper vigilant.

It was just the space I had at that time. I recently upped my calories and I’m still figuring it out. I’ve never seen an ice cream sandwich that low, aren’t they usually 300+? That would be a good idea. I could probably keep a few of those at home without going nuts and even if I did and I only had 4 in the house it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

This! I think this is the reason I have an unhealthy obsession with all things junk food! My mom baked a lot so there were always sweets, I can have those surrounding me and not eat a one. Give me salty, crunchy, greasy and I can't get enough! Needless to say, my downfall is potato chips. I have just learned not to have them in the house. If i really and truly can't stop a craving for them I make myself walk to the store to buy a small bag. If I'm not willing to walk to get them I must not want them that bad.

I'm the same with fresh fruits, they were an extravagance for me growing up so if it's there I have to eat it! At least this is healthy though except the sugar and carbs LOL

Yeah, I’m like that with any sort of junk or baked good. My mom has diabetes so we kept the house clear of eg white bread, added sugars, etc. Fresh fruit feels like a luxury to me too, but it’s much healthier and I don’t feel guilty about it. I think that’s the ticket 😁
  • JustMeandZ
    JustMeandZ Posts: 45 Member
    I love sugar free pudding made with skim milk. Its really good!
  • jamesjeffsmith
    jamesjeffsmith Posts: 34 Member
    pop corn in olive oil, 2 stalks celery with 2 tbl Trader Joes organic peanut butter (Valencia peanuts and salt only) 200 calories/8 grms proteinm or an apple sliced with peanut or almond butter. All healthy fats
  • arnnanz
    arnnanz Posts: 34 Member
    Very dark chocolate works for me. I can't eat too much of it as it's not at all sweet, but it's nice with some natural peanut butter or raspberries. Also try melting it and dipping in pieces of fruit.
  • cobalt108
    cobalt108 Posts: 60 Member
    So glad you posted this! I have a similar problem with going overboard and it’s distracting. In order to enjoy the treat and not trigger a spiral I combine something healthy with the treat or make a healthy-ish version to satisfy the craving. So instead of just eating all the dark chocolate, I’ll dip fruit,drizzle it over berries or have it with some coconut chia pudding. I also like to make little oatmeal mugs in the microwave. Banana, walnuts, cinnamon and mini chocolate chips with old fashioned oats and almond milk tastes like warm banana bread, but is still basically oatmeal:)

• MsWax
    MsWax Posts: 32 Member
    My go-to's are:
    • fruit
    • Protein shake (the cookies & cream Quest flavor blended with 6 oz of milk, ice and water tastes like a milkshake)
    • Yasso frozen greek yogurt bar
    • Clif builder protein bar (half or whole)
    • Dried mango (no sugar added)

These all satisfy my sweet cravings without setting off a binge. I LOVE candy (twizzlers, sour gummies, etc.), but find I can't eat them without going crazy.
  • megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    I eat an apple and a cheese stick as a snack at work! It satisfies sweet, creamy, and savory.