Cannot eat big meals

Options
13»

Replies

• meagan8376
    meagan8376 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    And by big, I mean normal sized meals, that average people eat. I just can’t, never have, even as a small child. Finishing a plate of food has always been a challenge for me. Just the other day, I couldn’t finish a small salmon fillet and had to give the rest to my boyfriend so it didn’t go to waste. I get full quickly to the point of nausea if I continue.

Because of this, I’m finding myself snacking a lot. I eat small portions of things throughout the day to keep myself going.

Anyone have any tips/ideas for a healthy way to get all my nutrients in through small meals/snacks? I want to eat healthier & not grab a bag of potato chips or a candy bar. My parents didn’t raise me healthy, so it’s definitely a struggle knowing what’s good for me & what isn’t.

Thanks!
    And by big, I mean normal sized meals, that average people eat. I just can’t, never have, even as a small child. Finishing a plate of food has always been a challenge for me. Just the other day, I couldn’t finish a small salmon fillet and had to give the rest to my boyfriend so it didn’t go to waste. I get full quickly to the point of nausea if I continue.

Because of this, I’m finding myself snacking a lot. I eat small portions of things throughout the day to keep myself going.

Anyone have any tips/ideas for a healthy way to get all my nutrients in through small meals/snacks? I want to eat healthier & not grab a bag of potato chips or a candy bar. My parents didn’t raise me healthy, so it’s definitely a struggle knowing what’s good for me & what isn’t.

Thanks!

I just make nutritious filled smoothies if my eating habits suck that day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I prefer small meals too. I just don't see how the OMAD people do it!

For snacks I like fruit with cottage cheese, peanut butter, nuts, or cheese, depending on whether I need more protein/fat/calories.

Having 4 oz of cottage cheese with 2 oz blueberries right now. 132 calories, 13 g protein, will get me through til dinner.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Plan your food for the day and prelog so you know you will get enough nutrients even with small amounts more often.
    Don't eat the low nutrition foods until you meet your goals. After that go ahead and eat whatever you like that fits your calorie goal.
    Stock up on things like fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, cottage cheese, nuts, protein bars, popcorn instead of potato chips and candy bars.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    One option might be to make or pack calorie-dense meals and then eat them in courses throughout the day. Things like nuts, hard-boiled eggs, apples & peanut butter, protein bars, cheese, avocado, pizza, ice cream, etc. So you'd be getting the same calories and nutrition as you'd get from the meal, just spread out over time.

I'd also agree that a doctor's visit might be good if this is affecting your life.

Or just pack a "regular" meal -- protein, veggies, a starchy side if you want it -- and then eat it "sporadically, throughout the day" like it was a medium pizza. If it's easier, break it down into snack-size portions in mutiple containers.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    If you can eat an entire pizza and an entire bag of chips you can eat big meals. i dont understand the issue?
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What did you eat when you were gaining weight?

Crap food. I’ve always been a big junk food eater, mostly salty stuff. I admit, I used to eat an entire giant bag of chips to myself with a jar of ranch dip in two days. Oh, and a medium pizza at least once a week to myself.

Always just, junk.

If you can eat an entire medium pizza yourself, I don't think your issue is with not being able to eat large meals or finishing a small piece of fish. This seems like more of a mental thing with your current food choices than a stomach capacity issue.

Haha that’s kind of cute, I don’t eat it all in one go 😂😂😂 And I’d always get thin crust pizza. It would be throughout the day, not one sitting, hahaha.

So if your previous eating pattern was to eat a large portion of specific foods over the course of an entire day, why not use that strategy now?

You know you can get sufficient calories that way (since before you had excess calories using this method). And if you're tracking, you should be able to see what you're missing out on nutritionally (if anything) and then make adjustments to your meals based on what you'd like to get more of in your diet.

I just don’t know what to eat. Which is why I made this post. I disagree with others that I can eat pizza & other stuff all the time. It’s not a good idea. I want a healthy lifestyle, not this unhealthy weight-gain terrible lifestyle.

Since you apparently have strong opinions about what is unhealthy, pack yourself multiple snack-size portions of foods you don't consider to be unhealthy, and eat them throughout the day. You can put a third of a chicken breast or a fish steak or fillet in a container, with a third of a serving of broccoli, and third of a serving of rice. Or whatever foods fit your definition of healthy. Repeat two more times.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    If you can eat an entire pizza and an entire bag of chips you can eat big meals. i dont understand the issue?
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What did you eat when you were gaining weight?

Crap food. I’ve always been a big junk food eater, mostly salty stuff. I admit, I used to eat an entire giant bag of chips to myself with a jar of ranch dip in two days. Oh, and a medium pizza at least once a week to myself.

Always just, junk.

If you can eat an entire medium pizza yourself, I don't think your issue is with not being able to eat large meals or finishing a small piece of fish. This seems like more of a mental thing with your current food choices than a stomach capacity issue.

Haha that’s kind of cute, I don’t eat it all in one go 😂😂😂 And I’d always get thin crust pizza. It would be throughout the day, not one sitting, hahaha.

So if your previous eating pattern was to eat a large portion of specific foods over the course of an entire day, why not use that strategy now?

You know you can get sufficient calories that way (since before you had excess calories using this method). And if you're tracking, you should be able to see what you're missing out on nutritionally (if anything) and then make adjustments to your meals based on what you'd like to get more of in your diet.

I just don’t know what to eat. Which is why I made this post. I disagree with others that I can eat pizza & other stuff all the time. It’s not a good idea. I want a healthy lifestyle, not this unhealthy weight-gain terrible lifestyle.

I wouldn't eat pizza *all the time* (you probably need some other stuff in your diet). But if it's a food you like and find palatable, why isn't it a good idea for you to eat it sometimes?

You gained weight because you consumed more calories than your body was using, not because pizza is a uniquely terrible food. It's a collection of pretty standard foods -- bread, tomato sauce, cheese, vegetables, meats. Nobody has to eat pizza for good health, but neither do you have to avoid it for good health.

But you're free to avoid it if you don't want it. When you say "healthy lifestyle," what does that mean to you? What kind of foods would you be eating?

Eating pizza like that was early 2017 for me. I don’t do it any more. I’ll have pizza on occasion.
    Yes, I did gain because I ate too many calories & barely exercised, always coming up with an excuse not to.

Healthy lifestyle, eating more greens, stuff like that. Cutting out red meat, eating more lean meat & fish. I usually have sushi these days, but the ones without the creamy dressing. Exercising daily.

I don’t know how to make meals. I don’t know how to cook things, especially healthy things. I should probably invest in a cookbook or something.

If I could only have one cookbook, it would be The Joy of Cooking. In fact, for many years, it was my only cookbook, and what I used to teach myself how to cook when I left home with no skills. Your library system may have it - mine does! In fact, my library has tons of cookbooks.

You may find cooking shows useful as well. But if you want a cookbook/encyclopedia, get the JOC.

You can borrow it virtually before getting a physical copy to see if you like it. There are high quality scans of it.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=The Joy of Cooking&and[]=mediatype:"texts"