Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Oatmeal, breakfast foods contain unsafe amounts of cancer-linked weed killer..."

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I really wish I could read some of this sciencey stuff without my eyes glazing over. My husband is super into all this "non stick is bad" "Fish is bad" "vaccines are bad" etc. and I'm just like yea, whatever. But I don't have any actual responses or retorts for him.

Could always just ask him why he thinks he knows better about the safety of something (vaccines for example) than the experts in that area when he himself has no background in it. I assume the answer would be something along the lines of that it is a conspiracy and all safety testing is done by people who are in the pocket of big bnb pharma or something like that. Can then always ask how he knows that. In the end it's just belief born out of a desire to have special knowledge.

Honestly though best not to be confrontational about it probably.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    Here's an anti-sensationalist article (not a study) that goes into why trace amounts of glyphosate are present in a lot of food, not just cereal, and it provides food (haha) for thought. It points out that the EWG study is not peer-reviewed and used a lower "safe" threshold than the publicly available, peer-reviewed studies that conclude residual levels are safe. It's telling that the actual methodology used and the actual data are not available for review.

https://mashable.com/2018/08/17/cereal-glyphosate-pesticide-study-debunk/#5Wm55fRkZmqT

As someone who used to work on pesticide residue / dissipation studies, this is accurate.

Also, glyphosate is very commonly used off-label as a dessicant at crop harvest to make it easier to bring in the crops, especially in wet years. For oats, specifically, as well as pulses and soybeans. We did environmental testing as well as GLP testing and we would get hundreds of bean samples. If they were above 4ppm (EU limit at the time) the client would mix the batch that was high with another farm that tested low and then retest, keep mixing until the results were low enough to export.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    My husband threw out the oatmeal yesterday after seeing this. He's very concerned about it, but I'd like to see more data and research.

Why? I'm a cereal lover, and if it's already bought i'm eating it. Might re-examine my choices in the days or weeks ahead, but I doubt I'll stop using this stuff.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    I was born in the 50's and grew up through the 1960s, when we used to follow the mosquito spray truck around. I figure at this point, I've consumed enough chemicals to kill me, so I don't worry too much about it. I like oatmeal, I don't worry about GMO. If you get excited about this, you also probably believe that chickens are raised without hormones, which they aren't and never were. When the FDA says to avoid something, I will think about it then.