• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    'Pure hatred'? Really? Care to link to some 'hatred'?

Yes there's straight talking and a lack of sugar coating (who's got the spare cals for that?!) But I have never seen hatred, and I've been here a loooooooong time.

Pure hatred is starting this thread on a Thursday and making me think for a minute that it's actually Friday.

No, but it IS rage-quit Thursday.

I don't believe in rage-quitting. Once I have worn out my welcome I stay for maybe 4 or 5 more years and then I just disappear.

How do you feel about flouncing? I think that's much classier than rage-quitting.

I flounced from these boards once. It didn't stick.

Well, that’s because science, like CICO. 😜
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    'Pure hatred'? Really? Care to link to some 'hatred'?

Yes there's straight talking and a lack of sugar coating (who's got the spare cals for that?!) But I have never seen hatred, and I've been here a loooooooong time.

Pure hatred is starting this thread on a Thursday and making me think for a minute that it's actually Friday.

No, but it IS rage-quit Thursday.

I don't believe in rage-quitting. Once I have worn out my welcome I stay for maybe 4 or 5 more years and then I just disappear.

How do you feel about flouncing? I think that's much classier than rage-quitting.

I flounced from these boards once. It didn't stick.

I remember that. Unfortunately, several other veteran, and quite knowledgeable people, left around the same time. I'm glad you came back. :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to consider how effective a cold bucket of reality is really going to be when the dynamic isn't you and your BFF, but a bunch of strangers, many of whom might be feeling sensitive or vulnerable. I'm sure everyone IS intending to be helpful and honest, but what I typically see is:

OP: I want to do <insert popular diet/unrealistic weight loss goal/scam/green tea supplements>
    MFP: That won't work. You're overcomplicating this. Eat less. (Sometimes accompanied by flow chart.)

That cold bucket feels...cold. It also could feel discouraging. The OP could interpret it as, "They think I'm stupid."

I mean these are people who are going out on a limb, talking to strangers. They might be frustrated with their bodies, which is no fun And now they feel ostracized for their brains as well, or at least their judgment.

I'm not saying that we should LIE, but there's probably something in between being blunt and maybe a wee bit judgmental and patting them on the head condescendingly.

While I don't disagree with the idea, I think that's really hard to do in reality. you can't predict how someone will receive information, especially information that is corrective or goes against what they think they know.

IMO, make a reasonable effort to not be a condescending *kitten* about it, but beyond that, let the pieces fall where they may.
This discussion has been closed.