Just be nice

Options

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to consider how effective a cold bucket of reality is really going to be when the dynamic isn't you and your BFF, but a bunch of strangers, many of whom might be feeling sensitive or vulnerable. I'm sure everyone IS intending to be helpful and honest, but what I typically see is:

OP: I want to do <insert popular diet/unrealistic weight loss goal/scam/green tea supplements>
    MFP: That won't work. You're overcomplicating this. Eat less. (Sometimes accompanied by flow chart.)

That cold bucket feels...cold. It also could feel discouraging. The OP could interpret it as, "They think I'm stupid."

I mean these are people who are going out on a limb, talking to strangers. They might be frustrated with their bodies, which is no fun And now they feel ostracized for their brains as well, or at least their judgment.

I'm not saying that we should LIE, but there's probably something in between being blunt and maybe a wee bit judgmental and patting them on the head condescendingly.

How would you answer that post, just out of interest? Or would you just scroll on past?

If I thought I could answer in a way that would be helpful and would actually be well-received, I'd answer. If not, I'd scroll. If I have to think too hard to answer "nicely," scrolling works.

How does that help the next new person who comes along and is curious and might be swayed by the OP?

theres a lot of posts I don't respond to because my immediate response is ' you're a dumbass' and other members already have it covered.

this goes for other boards as well as MFP lololol

Agreed, and I do that as well. Just get frustrated when those who do respond nicer than I would are labelled as "mean" and all I can think about is what my reply would have been labelled.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    @pinuplove It could have been a bump situation - didn't think about that. See, another kind MFPer sharing their wisdom. Peace, love and rainbows my friend.

*hugs* :lol:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to consider how effective a cold bucket of reality is really going to be when the dynamic isn't you and your BFF, but a bunch of strangers, many of whom might be feeling sensitive or vulnerable. I'm sure everyone IS intending to be helpful and honest, but what I typically see is:

OP: I want to do <insert popular diet/unrealistic weight loss goal/scam/green tea supplements>
    MFP: That won't work. You're overcomplicating this. Eat less. (Sometimes accompanied by flow chart.)

That cold bucket feels...cold. It also could feel discouraging. The OP could interpret it as, "They think I'm stupid."

I mean these are people who are going out on a limb, talking to strangers. They might be frustrated with their bodies, which is no fun And now they feel ostracized for their brains as well, or at least their judgment.

I'm not saying that we should LIE, but there's probably something in between being blunt and maybe a wee bit judgmental and patting them on the head condescendingly.

How would you answer that post, just out of interest? Or would you just scroll on past?

If I thought I could answer in a way that would be helpful and would actually be well-received, I'd answer. If not, I'd scroll. If I have to think too hard to answer "nicely," scrolling works.

How does that help the next new person who comes along and is curious and might be swayed by the OP?

theres a lot of posts I don't respond to because my immediate response is ' you're a dumbass' and other members already have it covered.

Agreed, and I do that as well. Just get frustrated when those who do respond nicer than I would are labelled as "mean" and all I can think about is what my reply would have been labelled.

my fiance is in canada, and we are in the immigration process for him to move down. those boards are full of the BIGGEST dumbasses ive ever seen!

ps: dont ever let anyone tell you moving to the US is cheap, easy, or fast LOLOLOL
  • pinuplove
    Options

Kittens. Lots of kittens.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    OK, so they are "lazy" because they didn't Google first? And that means it's OK to be...grumpy to them?

Alternative theory: a human being who you don't know just a scale wake up call and is flustered, upset and is reaching out for some kind of human connection. On a website called My Fitness PAL.

I think the poster meant searching the forums for the topic they have a question about. Almost every question can be answered with just a bit of research in the forums.

That was pretty much my point, too. That way, the new posters question can start out with specific detailed questions. Or they can just say, hey I'm looking into ways to lose weight and would like to connect with others using 'X' method.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

This forum does nothing to push back against the laziness of people who can't be bothered to look for 10 minutes for an answer to their question before starting another new thread. Sometimes that answer is still on the first page. The natural result of this is that people who are trying to be helpful who have typed the same response a few thousand times keep getting more and more concise and it comes across as blunt.

OK, so they are "lazy" because they didn't Google first? And that means it's OK to be...grumpy to them?

Alternative theory: a human being who you don't know just a scale wake up call and is flustered, upset and is reaching out for some kind of human connection. On a website called My Fitness PAL.

I'd ague that the bigger problem is not people being mean, but looking for human connection online.

So much this. It's not possible for random strangers on the internet to upset me because they are random strangers on the internet. I'm not invested in them in any way, shape or form and they don't know the first thing about me. Why would I waste time worrying about what they think of me??
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I will agree to a problem i just found, So many people saying use the search function and find old threads on the same topic, And then everyone posts zombie gifs when the old thread gets bumped XD
  • pinuplove
    edited August 2018
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    I will agree to a problem i just found, So many people saying use the search function and find old threads on the same topic, And then everyone posts zombie gifs when the old thread gets bumped XD

All the more reason to lurk a bit!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    'Pure hatred'? Really? Care to link to some 'hatred'?

Yes there's straight talking and a lack of sugar coating (who's got the spare cals for that?!) But I have never seen hatred, and I've been here a loooooooong time.

Pure hatred is starting this thread on a Thursday and making me think for a minute that it's actually Friday.

SO MUCH THIS.

I literally checked my calendar when I saw the OP.

I've always felt like Thursday is the day for threads like these.

It's Thursday, Thursday, gotta get mean on Thursday!

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

:lol:

You don't have to POST in the threads.

When I first started on this site people didn't have phone apps. So the threads were not as frequent and the search function actually had some ...function. I agree it doesn't work very well now.

Plus the phones have created this me-me-me-me- answer meeeeeeeee phenomenon. I noticed a huge difference in the number of repetitive threads when everyone started posting from phones.

Meh, not sure what the solution is to this particular problem.

I know it's not more mean people threads, though. That's a sure-fire way to get NO answers at all.

Wait. We're on page four...
This discussion has been closed.