Stopped doing squats.

I don't feel that they were of any use. It's been 12 days I haven't done a single squat. Do tell is it okay?

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    What were you doing squats for in the first place?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    12 days is not a lot of time. Also it depends on your goals with the squats.
  • LJay89
    LJay89 Posts: 91 Member
    Trolling
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,738 Member
    I find both squats and lunges to be very useful for strength and muscle definition, but we all have different goals. Further clarification of what you mean by "of no use" would be helpful.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 516 Member
    I am doing a squat challenge with a friend and I am loving them.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    The only reason you ever HAVE to do back squats is if you compete in a powerlifting meet.

There are plenty of people who do other lower body work and are "okay."
  • Priyanka2883
    Priyanka2883 Posts: 34 Member
    Any use in building my leg strength.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

What weight did you squat? How often were you squatting?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    Need more information...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Were you doing one of those do 100 squats every day challenges ?? Lol
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, were you doing a small number of squats with very heavy weights? Or were you doing a lot of body weight squats?

I used to do those facebook challenges where you do 50 body weight squats every day and thought they were useless. I started doing a minimal number of slow squats with very heavy weight and they changed my entire lower body.

I did the 30 day challenges where you worked up to 250 body weight squats. It definitely firmed up my bum. Should have kept them up. Not necessarily 250/day but enough to keep that lift and firmness and get the flexibility of a nice deep squat
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you found them useless for building leg strength then you weren't doing them properly or you weren't using enough weight. To build strength, you have to progressively keep adding weight.

Agreed.

You can build strong legs without squatting. However, no matter what exercise you use in order to build leg strength (lunges, step ups, deadlifts, leg press, etc.) you will need to utilize progressive resistance.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Squats are awesome. My favorite thing for getting great legs and glutes.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    squats, when done properly are a full body compound movement with many benefits. do them if you want or dont do them if you dont want.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Most people in this world go on about their daily lives not doing squats, so in general yes, it is ok, no one ever died because of lack of squats. The question is what are you trying to achieve, and what your overall routine looks like. For me, doing for years a traditional large muscle teams routine, adjusting to a routine of no squats on drs orders (serious ankle injury and bearing any weight is off limits forever) has been extremely challenging and after two years I am still not happy with any alternative.

Disagree with bolded part. The average person will die if they can’t squat. If you can’t squat, you cannot live independently, will end up in a nursing home. The inability to squat is usually tied to overall health decline and loss of function. There are exceptions to this for disabled people who have adapted well, but even so they will have a shorter life span.
    No, you won’t die tomorrow or even next year for most, but squatting is the most important exercise for maintaining functioning. Young people won’t get it, but anyone over 50 will. Maybe I should put this in Debate forum.

To add to this, for most people around the globe, a squat is a position of repose. Because we mainly sit on furniture here in the west, we are generally unable to squat. We have the ability when we're children to squat restfully but we lose it over time because we don't keep at it. We are not built for sitting on furniture and it is actually quite terrible for our bodies!

Squatting is a good measure of overall health and fitness. One should be able to squat comfortably with their feet flat on the ground well into their advanced years, like this old Asian lady:

vsviw292nvrx.jpg

Or this old Asian dude:

nftk4zdxh3ji.jpg

Considering that the OP was talking about squatting for building strength, I have to assume that @aggelikik is talking about squats for exercise, not the basic squatting movement. Yes, it's important to be mobile even into old age. Even weight bearing exercise is great to keep up with in old age. But no body is going to die if they do lunges or step ups instead of squats.
  • Priyanka2883
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Squats are awesome. My favorite thing for getting great legs and glutes.

That kind of suggestion I want.
  • Priyanka2883

5 to 7.5 kg dumbles and alternate says. 3 rep of 12.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    What kind of results were you expecting in less than two weeks though?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

5 to 7.5 kg dumbles and alternate says. 3 rep of 12.

And in what way wasn't it working?