Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Cascadae wrote: »
    no squat no gains
    no squat no gains

First off, wrong..... can build power and hypertrophy wo squats. While compound movements are superior, combos work to do the same thing.
  • psychod787
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I know I need to update my profile picture first off. Lol I recently switch off squats to a leg press hip thrust combo. I am not into power lifting, so I figured I don't need squats. Besides, my form is horrid at best. I found I was putting unneeded stress on knees and hips. As a person who walks a lot, I want to protect my legs at all cost.

Thank you so much for your reply.
    Thats what I meant.
    I have no clue why others were being rude.
    You are such a sweetheart.

People who tell you the answer you want to hear are not necessarily sweethearts, they are telling you what you want to hear. People who don’t tell you what you want to hear aren’t being rude, they just aren’t telling you what you want to hear. Surrounding yourself with yes-men and only listening to people who agree with you is an unwise approach to life.

Second, I am no "Yes man", I simply speak to what I know. This person is probably the first person on MFP to call me a sweet heart. I am a bit of a young cat head. I prefer the word yes person BTW. Using the word Men in such context is degrading to men.......
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Most people in this world go on about their daily lives not doing squats, so in general yes, it is ok, no one ever died because of lack of squats. The question is what are you trying to achieve, and what your overall routine looks like. For me, doing for years a traditional large muscle teams routine, adjusting to a routine of no squats on drs orders (serious ankle injury and bearing any weight is off limits forever) has been extremely challenging and after two years I am still not happy with any alternative.

Disagree with bolded part. The average person will die if they can’t squat. If you can’t squat, you cannot live independently, will end up in a nursing home. The inability to squat is usually tied to overall health decline and loss of function. There are exceptions to this for disabled people who have adapted well, but even so they will have a shorter life span.
    No, you won’t die tomorrow or even next year for most, but squatting is the most important exercise for maintaining functioning. Young people won’t get it, but anyone over 50 will. Maybe I should put this in Debate forum.

You should post in the debate forum! I find that very interesting. I always notice how my 2 year old son will just pop a squat and play with his toys like that. I have the flexibility to sit like that, but it's definitely not comfortable in the slightest, and I always feel like I'm going to fall over.
  • Cascadae
    Cascadae Posts: 34 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    no squat no gains
    no squat no gains

First off, wrong..... can build power and hypertrophy wo squats. While compound movements are superior, combos work to do the same thing.

Yes you can bulid your legs with isolation exercises but compound exercises are on top.

Squats and deadlifts are the kings of of all exercises
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    no squat no gains
    no squat no gains

Yes you can bulid your legs with isolation exercises but compound exercises are on top.

Oft repeated and yet meaningless without context.

Back squats and deadlifts are the lifts through which most people can lift the most weight.

Back squats and deadlifts are not the best/most productive lifts for every lifter with every goal.

Well it's just seems to me u r afraid of doing them because injury risks,

Well keep doing jumping jacks then till you get your gains

I squat and deadlift twice a week. Nice try though.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    no squat no gains
    no squat no gains

Back squats and deadlifts are the lifts through which most people can lift the most weight.

Back squats and deadlifts are not the best/most productive lifts for every lifter with every goal.

lol... aren't you DLing in your profile pic?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Most people in this world go on about their daily lives not doing squats, so in general yes, it is ok, no one ever died because of lack of squats. The question is what are you trying to achieve, and what your overall routine looks like. For me, doing for years a traditional large muscle teams routine, adjusting to a routine of no squats on drs orders (serious ankle injury and bearing any weight is off limits forever) has been extremely challenging and after two years I am still not happy with any alternative.

Disagree with bolded part. The average person will die if they can’t squat. If you can’t squat, you cannot live independently, will end up in a nursing home. The inability to squat is usually tied to overall health decline and loss of function. There are exceptions to this for disabled people who have adapted well, but even so they will have a shorter life span.
    No, you won’t die tomorrow or even next year for most, but squatting is the most important exercise for maintaining functioning. Young people won’t get it, but anyone over 50 will. Maybe I should put this in Debate forum.

You should. You've said this before and I find it compelling enough to act on, but I'm the kind of person who likes to learn from other people's mistakes. Starting a thread will give the idea some visibility and maybe help more people.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It depends on the benefit you're expecting to get from them.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    no squat no gains
    no squat no gains

The king for what? And why?

Bro advice without context is bro advice. Nothing but chest thumping. There's a lot more nuance to the answer than that.

If the only exercises you know are squats, deadlifts and jumping jacks, it would probably be beneficial to expand your horizons a bit.
  • Cascadae
    Cascadae Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    no squat no gains
    no squat no gains

Bro advice without context is bro advice. Nothing but chest thumping. There's a lot more nuance to the answer than that.

Kings of bodybuilding workouts, is that enough for u bro! 😂😂
  • psychod787
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    no squat no gains
    no squat no gains

If the only exercises you know are squats, deadlifts and jumping jacks, it would probably be beneficial to expand your horizons a bit.

GYM science... lol...
    Well, I don't do squats anymore because of old injuries and training age. I have dislocated my patella in my right knee twice playing football when I was in college. I have the tendency to let my knees extend to far forward on my squat, thus putting strain on an already weakened patella tendon. Add in 20 years of being morbidly obese to the pressure on my joints and for me its a recipe for getting hurt. As goes the knee, generally, so goes the hip. I use walking as my primary calorie burner in my weight maintenance phase, so getting a knee injury would not be the greatest. I currently do my lower on a 2 day split. Leg press 8-12 reps at 9 RPE x5 sets, RDL repeat sets, leg extentions 15-20 x 2 with 4 rest pause sets and leg curls same, Calf raises 2x15-20 with 4 rest pause. Second day is the same expect sub hip thrust for RDL's. Do I miss getting under squats... well yeah...., but at my current age..... I will not let my pride rule me. As long as I am increasing volume progressively, I see some gains.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I don't feel that they were of any use. It's been 12 days I haven't done a single squat. Do tell is it okay?

You probably just maxed out your gains at your bodyweight. If you want to see real strength and muscle gains all over your body, do heavy squats. I did them for 3 days a week, alternating with deadlifts and other heavy leg exercises for about six months, and my legs completely changed.

I'm at 365lb squat now, and I actually decided to stop doing them so regularly because my legs are very muscular now.

But the thread where I asked for advice told me that I didn't gain any muscle in my legs at all, just lost fat, because getting skinny is where the muscles are. Apparently.

So I hear you on the people being rude part.

Just do you. It's your body.

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I like squats. Squats are good. I especially like them when they are heavy.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    no squat no gains
    no squat no gains

I'm gonna second you on the compound lifts. My shoulders and traps are hard and visible and I haven't spent any time working them directly. And, sometimes my abs are sore after deadlifts and squats.

The problem with compound lifts is once you've achieved some level of muscularity.

Once you get there, you have to start specializing your exercises to get that asthetic you desire. Not everyone has the same body type or body goals and some prefer some muscles being more sizable than others. (Talking to you, curl bros!). :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    no squat no gains
    no squat no gains

lol... aren't you DLing in your profile pic?

Yes, yes I am :smiley:
  • psychod787
    Options
    no squat no gains
    no squat no gains

wow... and I thought I was the guy at the gym people avoided...... I think I have found my replacement! :D