My 1200 calorie story

Options
Everyday on the message boards there is at least one topic about exercise calories and 1200 calories being right or not. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do or not to do but I want to share my story.

When I started back on MFP in May I knew nothing about BMR, TDEE, net calories, starvation mode, etc. and I really didn't care. I knew I wanted to lose weight and get healthy so I plugged my numbers in and was given a number of 1310 by MFP. So I quickly lost 10 pounds and plugged my numbers in again and Walla, 1200 was the magic number, or so I thought.

I quickly lost another 10 pounds. This was over a six week period. I was over the moon happy. But I started to notice some things. First I was reading in the forums about net calories and exercise calories so I looked at mine. I wasn't eating my exercise calories and I put in some huge burns. My net calories were negative more than they were positive. I thought I was doing things right.

But, some other things happened. My hair started falling out, my skin was wrinkling even with 8-10cups of water a day, I was exhausted, my pee was no longer bright yellow from my vitamin, my IBS was out of control, and I stopped losing weight.

So I thought that I'd try increasing to 1500 calories, I couldn't get there because I was "too busy" to eat. Instead I started Zumba. I lost another 4 pounds but still had all these physical symptoms.

I finally messaged someone on MFP who always responded to these 1200 calorie forums non-judgmentally. That changed my way of thinking and I am grateful to this person. I am now eating at my TDEE minus 20%, which is around 2150 calories. I don't make it every day but I also don't eat less than 1800 calories. I do have to supplement with protein shakes. However, I am losing weight at a slow and steady rate, my IBS is under control with food alone, I have boundless energy, my skin looks amazing, my weight fluctuations have gone from 7 pounds to 2 pounds, and most importantly my hair has not only quit falling out but is also growing back.

I just started training with a trainer and dietician. His first comment to me was to quit counting calories altogether. Not going to happen. His second comment, "you're my first female client in months I haven't had to convince to eat more."

This is my story, take it for what it is. Some will agree and some will disagree with what I am doing. I am not telling anyone to change but for those who are frustrated there are other options, that's all I want you to take away from this.

Good luck to everyone in this journey for it is one of the, if not the, toughest battle of your life.

Replies

• megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • SergeantG
    Options
    I actually really appreciate this post.....
  • dmoxsom
    dmoxsom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One Hundred percent DEAD ON!!!!!
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post! :) For most eating more then 1200 is scary ( I know it was for me ) but you feel so much better! Thank you for sharing your story!!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Excellent testimonial! Thank you for sharing.
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your story! i have been on my 1200 calorie diet for about 4 weeks now, and lost 11 pounds, however I was noticing that i was really tired, just posted a topic and someone told me to look at my TDEE and take 15-20% off that, I have just changed my calorie intake to 1800 today, so I will see what it does for me:) I want to be healthy:) not starving myself! Thanks for sharing:)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post. Very valuable lesson learned. Question is, will anyone hell-bent on 1200 calories/day pay attention?
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story :smile: I am glad to hear you are doing much better.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yay!
    tumblr_llirg0hQKR1qeq77p.gif

Great post - great example of how over training and/or under eating might help drop some pounds, but doesn't give the awesome healthy results expected. Thanks for sharing!
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Everyday on the message boards there is at least one topic about exercise calories and 1200 calories being right or not. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do or not to do but I want to share my story.

When I started back on MFP in May I knew nothing about BMR, TDEE, net calories, starvation mode, etc. and I really didn't care. I knew I wanted to lose weight and get healthy so I plugged my numbers in and was given a number of 1310 by MFP. So I quickly lost 10 pounds and plugged my numbers in again and Walla, 1200 was the magic number, or so I thought.

I quickly lost another 10 pounds. This was over a six week period. I was over the moon happy. But I started to notice some things. First I was reading in the forums about net calories and exercise calories so I looked at mine. I wasn't eating my exercise calories and I put in some huge burns. My net calories were negative more than they were positive. I thought I was doing things right.

But, some other things happened. My hair started falling out, my skin was wrinkling even with 8-10cups of water a day, I was exhausted, my pee was no longer bright yellow from my vitamin, my IBS was out of control, and I stopped losing weight.

So I thought that I'd try increasing to 1500 calories, I couldn't get there because I was "too busy" to eat. Instead I started Zumba. I lost another 4 pounds but still had all these physical symptoms.

I finally messaged someone on MFP who always responded to these 1200 calorie forums non-judgmentally. That changed my way of thinking and I am grateful to this person. I am now eating at my TDEE minus 20%, which is around 2150 calories. I don't make it every day but I also don't eat less than 1800 calories. I do have to supplement with protein shakes. However, I am losing weight at a slow and steady rate, my IBS is under control with food alone, I have boundless energy, my skin looks amazing, my weight fluctuations have gone from 7 pounds to 2 pounds, and most importantly my hair has not only quit falling out but is also growing back.

I just started training with a trainer and dietician. His first comment to me was to quit counting calories altogether. Not going to happen. His second comment, "you're my first female client in months I haven't had to convince to eat more."

This is my story, take it for what it is. Some will agree and some will disagree with what I am doing. I am not telling anyone to change but for those who are frustrated there are other options, that's all I want you to take away from this.

Good luck to everyone in this journey for it is one of the, if not the, toughest battle of your life.
    :Congrats to you! Being a trainer myself that is one of the most difficult jobs ever (convincing people to eat more). :drinker:
  • ELVISDEAN
    Options
    you are beautiful and intelligent..congrats this site is full of **** and misinformation..the members 90 % are lame....you are right on and one of my kind
    ELVIS
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I've been feeling "off" for a while now - almost like I'm depressed. I wonder if that's a result of a reduction to 1200 calories that MFP suggested almost 2 months ago. Has anybody had this happen to them?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Snoop and I approve.
    nPsQa20.gif
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    How fabulous, I am really happy for you!! :drinker:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post. Very valuable lesson learned. Question is, will anyone hell-bent on 1200 calories/day pay attention?

Unlikely, but it will help those who are only on 1200 because that's what MFP gave them and not because they are dead set on it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I've been feeling "off" for a while now - almost like I'm depressed. I wonder if that's a result of a reduction to 1200 calories that MFP suggested almost 2 months ago. Has anybody had this happen to them?

Your body isn't happy, it doesn't have any fuel...especially if you are working out. Please feed it. :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. :drinker:
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i LOVE these stories!

happy-dance-.gif
  • IngePF
    IngePF Posts: 2
    Options